Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
maybs

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by maybs »

Taittinger NV champagne. I like it quite a bit and if it just had a bit more yeasty notes or...something I can't quite out my finger on...it would probably replace Pol or Louis Roederer as my 'house' champagne.

2004 Bin 389. Gave it about 2 hours in the decanter which took the edge off but this is still a rich brooding beast of a wine. I enjoyed it but it has a time and place, that's for sure.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Battely Syrah 2004-What a beautiful syrah. I recall a few forumites bagging the wine on release for being most apricoty but gee, at maturity, it has a Northern Rhone fruit integration finesse. If prepared properly ( decanter ) it would have upped the complexity stakes but I loved the Jamet-like roundness on show and fruit warmth. Lovely stuff!

92pts

Tondonia Gran Reserva 1994- Go Doggies! But this wine was ill-prepared and wasted in hotel glassware. I did find some decent stems to rescue half a bottle and it is very ripe for Tondonia though brilliant and needing a decade.

94pts+

Domaine Georges Vernay "Fleurs de Mai" Vin de Pay 2011- My house red for the month. Very, very happy as it has a feminity helped along by its modest 12.5% and Christine Vernay a favorite Rhone producer. Wonderful aromatics loaded up with wild roses and wild sweet berries. Sits comfortably in a medium frame that delivers a seamless expression of syrah at an outstanding QPR.

90pts
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

felixp

Post by felixp »

Jamie, the guy that makes Battely was in my year in med. We used to car pool back in the day!!! Lovely guy, I actually still have almost a dozen of the 2004 Syrah left, which I found undrinkable about 6 years ago, it was whiskey a go-go. Given your note, I will revisit when I get home next month.

Bloody Dogs!!!!! Ruined what would otherwise been a 9/9 weekend for me grrrrr. Good win by the Hawks, but to be honest, they are a shadow of the Premiership team from last year (at this stage)

Anyway, tonight with a beautiful Australian T-bone, on the BBQ, mashed potato and beans. Sat out on our balcony on the 40th floor, over-looking the golf course and city skyline, including the 2,000ft Ping-An building directly opposite.... 1990 Chateau Conseillante
A bit surly at first pour, but into the decanter as I fired the barbie up, and half an hour later a wonderful transformation into a perfectly mature, broad rich and complex Pomerol. Bit of a reflection of the vintage, maybe just a tad too round for me to rate in the stratosphere, but a beautiful and totally enjoyable wine anyway. Life is good.
96points, drink now but no real hurry.

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

Michael McNally wrote:Moppity ' Lock and Key' Hilltops Shiraz

Very nice for the $17 I paid for it. After being open for an hour it has savoury black plum fruit, good persistence and nice pepper on the finish. Very moreish! Some floral notes and grip add interest. Very Very Good overall and Excellent QPR.

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael, what was the vintage, please?

michel

Post by michel »

Love 2001s
International Chambertin Day 16th May

michel

Post by michel »

Tidy
International Chambertin Day 16th May

felixp

Post by felixp »

michel wrote:Image

Love 2001s

that is a superb wine, only seen it at at 2001 horizontal, but it was second in a large group, only bettered by Rousseau CdB.
still, it is hard to believe the prices for a Leroy NSG wine. Supply and demand I guess.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Cleaning out the cellar to make room just now a bottle of Hungerford Hill 2012 Coonawarra Cabernet toppled over neatly breaking just the base in one piece with the bottle remaining neatly upside down. Lady luck does smile occasionally. So after carefully removing any shards of glass most was saved so I guess this is tonight's wine. Advertised as full bodied on tasting they weren't wrong. Hopefully a few hours in the decanter will improve it but 10 years in the cellar seems more likely. Has potential but it's all arms and legs at the moment.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Watching footy with some left over cheeses, Liverwurst and stuff and a 1995 Ridge Lytton Springs.

maybs

Post by maybs »

Looks bloody tough Dave.

Also been watching the footy. Eclectic arvo. Started off with a NV Birra Moretti. Then a glass of left over Taittinger.

Now 2012 Brezza Nebbiolo d'Alba Santa Rosalina. 2 hours in the decanter and needed it, a little sour an unbalanced out of the bottle. Now light garnet colour. Restrained nose but definite hints of tar, roses, some almost, almost mintiness. Light to medium light weight. Light red fruit, cherry, almost some ripe strawberry? Quite a few fine tannins already integrating.

I'm not very good at describing these Italian wines (which puts them on par with all other wine haha) but I'm enjoying this. It's a fairly fruity but structured, lighter weight red. Yum.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

2012 nebbiolos coming up better next day. I think we all make the mistake of drinking them too soon. Strawberries a definite nebbiolo aroma and the hot 2012 vintage would explain the riper notes.

Teobaldo Cappellano

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

2009 and 2013 St Hallett Faith Shiraz - a couple of quaffers with quite different profiles. The 09 is very Hunter shiraz like - sweaty saddle in a pleasant way, secondary fruit flavours but only light to medium bodied, pleasant but nothing to write home about. The 2013 is better balanced, more aromatic, a little tarter and is and will be a better wine. Needs a few more layers to make it interesting tho'. Good value at 11-15 bucks a bottle.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

maybs

Post by maybs »

JamieBahrain wrote:2012 nebbiolos coming up better next day. I think we all make the mistake of drinking them too soon. Strawberries a definite nebbiolo aroma and the hot 2012 vintage would explain the riper notes.

Thanks for the feedback Jamie. Good to hear I'm not going crazy on the strawbs! I was trying to resist cracking one of these but as part of my experimental foray into Italian wine (in particular at the moment Nebbiolo) I decided to try quite a young one to try and understand the different stages a bit more. Got a few more that can go in a dark hole in the cellar for a bit.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I opened 3 bottles last week through Coravin, and plan to try a glass or two every month or so.

1991 John Riddoch - absolutely rancid nose at first, but an hour later, was exactly what I expect from a 24 year old Coonawarra cabernet. Nice wine, pretty good length.

1996 Peter Lehmann Eight Songs Shiraz - forgot I had a case of these. In a good spot right now, though perhaps the oak tannins are a little too pronounced if anything.

1994 Penfolds Bin 389 - is drinking far better than I remember, with shiraz characters tending to be to the fore - especially on the palate. Proof that 1994 was a 'Penfolds Vintage'

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Mike Hawkins wrote:I opened 3 bottles last week through Coravin, and plan to try a glass or two every month or so.

1991 John Riddoch - absolutely rancid nose at first, but an hour later, was exactly what I expect from a 24 year old Coonawarra cabernet. Nice wine, pretty good length.

1996 Peter Lehmann Eight Songs Shiraz - forgot I had a case of these. In a good spot right now, though perhaps the oak tannins are a little too pronounced if anything.

1994 Penfolds Bin 389 - is drinking far better than I remember, with shiraz characters tending to be to the fore - especially on the palate. Proof that 1994 was a 'Penfolds Vintage'

Good to see the JR showing well Mike, must have a look at one of these.
I am pleased of what little 1994 Pennies I have, is turning into a good vintage. I have a few for the first born.
I will wait for the hysteria ( 21st birthdays) to die down in 2015 and might see if there are a few to pick up on the second hand market in 2016.

Cheers
Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

2009 Scarpantoni Merlot last night, with roast beef and then an aged brie (and some of our blended tawny when the Merlot ran out). Solid as always, most of the tannins are now fairly light and it's still fruity.
2003 Anderson Shiraz (cleanskin) the night before, with pasta and then roasted pork ribs and salad. Had to double decant due to the amount of sediment, but it was worth it. Drinking perfectly now.
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

2011 Mount Pleasant Mount Henry Shiraz Pinot Noir

All sorts of yum going on here. Still a young wine, medium bodied, and grabs the best of both worlds with both Pinot and Shiraz notes.
Strawberries, dark cherries, little tannin a bit of acid, and some Hunter earthiness.
Half a case left and will drink really nicely over many years.
instagram.com/wine_pug

Rory

Post by Rory »

2007 Leeuwin Estate Chardonnay

Really like where Leeuwin have taken their icon Chardy. Leaner, tighter (even at this age), less overt oak. For it's age, looking very smart, yet latent power is still there.
Cellared from purchase. Screwcap.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

qwertt wrote:
Michael McNally wrote:Moppity ' Lock and Key' Hilltops Shiraz

Very nice for the $17 I paid for it. After being open for an hour it has savoury black plum fruit, good persistence and nice pepper on the finish. Very moreish! Some floral notes and grip add interest. Very Very Good overall and Excellent QPR.

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael, what was the vintage, please?

Apologies - the 2013. Improved with air time too so will cellar 3-5 nicely.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Drinking a Rockford Rod & Spur 2012 (Shiraz Cabernet)
I've never really drunk Rockford before and have just started. (not sure why). This is part of my first order.

I really like this blend. Not a huge wine but certainly drinking very well now and maybe for the next 3-5 years.
Quite prominent oak on the nose and palate. Really getting the fruit of the Shiraz and the dryness / structure of the cabernet.

Will be paired with eye fillet steak (rare), dijon mustard and mushrooms for dinner.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Haven't poked my head in here for a while.... hope you are all well :D

2013 Trinity Hill Gimblett Gravels Syrah .... cracking wine from what is potentially a classic vintage for the region. Great clarity and finely detailed gear... very elegant wine.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

DaveB wrote:Haven't poked my head in here for a while.... hope you are all well :D

2013 Trinity Hill Gimblett Gravels Syrah .... cracking wine from what is potentially a classic vintage for the region. Great clarity and finely detailed gear... very elegant wine.

Dave B 8) , great to see you here.
Have really enjoyed your musings in various publications.
Was only having a cold one or three in the Greenock Tavern a few weeks ago.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

2008 Zema Estate 'Family Selection' Cabernet Sauvignon. Black red colour. Complex blackberry and mushroom nose. Lovely medium-bodied blackberry and cranberry fruit. Flavours are excellent, though if I were being picky I might expect more length from a 'premium' label. Between Very, Very Good and Excellent. I thought I would see how much this costs and it is apparently $40 so that is Excellent QPR.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

rens

Post by rens »

2011 Marius Simpatico. Deep dark red to purple colour with a muted nose at first but opened up after 2 hours in the decanter to match the palate which showed dark berries and plumbs. Nice balance and smooth tannins rounding out the palate with a reasonable length. Still too young, but hard to keep your hands off. Went well with the 5 hour Sous Vide Sirloin my wife surprised me with when I got home.
Last edited by rens on Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

rens wrote:2011 Marius Simposium. Deep dark red to purple colour with a muted nose at first but opened up after 2 hours in the decanter to match the palate which showed dark berries and plumbs. Nice balance and smooth tannins rounding out the palate with a reasonable length. Still too young, but hard to keep your hands off. Went well with the 5 hour Sous Vide Sirloin my wife surprised me with when I got home.

Hi Rens

Marius only made a symphony and a simpatico in 2011 - both straight shiraz from Roger’s vineyard. Did you mean one of these or was it a Symposium from an earlier year? Nice note by the way.

alexc92

Post by alexc92 »

Was lucky enough to try a couple of the 2013 Standishs this week. The 'Standish' and The Relic. Wow Wow Wow. Both Incredible wines already. Big fruit concentration and power but restrained elegance, will do 10 in the cellar no problem. Wish I could afford a 6 pack of each :P

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Clos St Hune was blown out of the water by a 1959 Oestreciher Lenchen Spatlese from the private cellar of Tom Drieseberg from Wegeler in Bernkastel Kues. We had an amazing dinner with the Clos St Hune the odd man out. I love Wegeler and have visited Bernkastel Kues many ties for vacation. It's one of the top wine village experiences. The Doctor vineyards aren't as well known as they probably should be, but tonight we looked beyond the Doctors to their Grand Cru holdings in the Rheingau.

These are amazing long lived wines blended from Grand Cru parcels and needing decades to unravel.

I keep meaning to put more Doctor wines into the cellar. I have 2007 TBA's and Tom Driesburg suggests they are 50 year + wines. A recent 1945 superb and the story interesting- the lady's wine as most likely made by ladies only as all men folk defending the Reich. The vineyards too steep for older gents who hadn't been forced into military service. He thought it the only bottle until perusing Roubuchon Macau where it's a lazy 20K Aussie a bottle !

Teobaldo Cappellano

Rory

Post by Rory »

Hurley Vineyard 2010 Garamond Pinot Noir.
One of the top tier Mornington Peninsula producers, and arguably his top label.

Really starting to hit its stride now. Beautiful aromatic sweet fruit, oak in background support. Palate is soft in fruit and in structure with good acid and high drinkability.
Sealed under Diam.

rens

Post by rens »

qwertt wrote:
rens wrote:2011 Marius Simposium. Deep dark red to purple colour with a muted nose at first but opened up after 2 hours in the decanter to match the palate which showed dark berries and plumbs. Nice balance and smooth tannins rounding out the palate with a reasonable length. Still too young, but hard to keep your hands off. Went well with the 5 hour Sous Vide Sirloin my wife surprised me with when I got home.

Hi Rens

Marius only made a symphony and a simpatico in 2011 - both straight shiraz from Roger’s vineyard. Did you mean one of these or was it a Symposium from an earlier year? Nice note by the way.

went for a dive in the bin, yes you are correct. It was the 2011 Simpatico :oops:
A note from memory the morning after.
Note to self, don't cheat. The thread says drinking now..tonight. You must post as you drink!
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

felixp

Post by felixp »

2009 Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin "Combe au Moines"
Like almost all 09 Burgundy, this is rich, ripe and wide open for business. Bright red fruits, Gevrey earth, but with a touch of liquorice, plum and tar. This might fool me as an Italian in a blind tasting, not sure. Lovely wine, very much on the 2009 style of Burgundy.
drink: now-2030, 93+ points