Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
pc79

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by pc79 »

2012 Seville Estate Pinot Noir - ripe cherry and strawberry, crimson fruits, some funky earthy notes, and some whole bunch action, slight cooling mint at the finish. I really like this. The 2013 of this wine was my favourite at the recent Yarra Valley Roadshow tasting at Ivy.

rooman

Post by rooman »

felixp wrote:Nice line up Rooman!!!! :D
Love Cazetiers too, Faiveley has really been on a roll with his version over the past five years.
How was the John Riddoch?? I haven't had much luck with the 98, but I know I got some more tucked away somewhere!!!!

Of all the wines I was probably most disappointed with the JR. The tannins have softened up but the wine still seems in a bit of a hole. The primary fruit has dropped away but there isn't really much going on in terms of secondary development yet. Its got the stuff to strut its stuff in due course but I doubt I will open another up for a while. Craig if you have a case or two try one but for those with only 2-3 bottles, keep them. The wine will last decades more.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2011 McWilliams Mount Pleasant Mothervine Pinot Noir From a region that's known for its Shiraz, and certainly not Pinot. Not a bad effort, Med bodied, typical Pinot, with a slight earthy undercurrent (Hunter characteristic). Despite claims that it has a long life, in my opinion best in the next couple of years. Very enjoyable, however lacking elegance and finesse that I enjoy in my Pinot.

rens

Post by rens »

[b]2009 Teusner Albert[\b] If I drink Barossa Shiraz, I ike it to be like this. Gave it a 4 hour decant and it was very nice with dark berries and plumbs. The tannins were well rounded and the oak was there in support. A good balanced offering and I think I'll leave the last one for another 3-4 years.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Last night we shared some very rare roast scotch fillet with friends and Anvers 2002 Reserve McLaren Vale Shiraz, Heritage 2002 Barossa Shiraz and 2010 Quorum McLaren Vale Shiraz. I do like the change in season when you can cuddle up to some big bold shiraz. All were in fine form and the beef superb. Started evening with a Bird in Hand Sparkling Pinot (a bit sweet) and finish with a few drams of Oban 14 Year Old SMW.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

2005 Schubert goose yard block shiraz (magnum)
I'm starting to be really impressed with the 05 barossa vintage.
This is the second 'top' wine that has blown my socks off
(The other being Gibsons old vine collection).

Big fruit, lovely oak, balanced alcohol and acidity at the end that
Tells me wine will live for another 20 years.....the cork won't though (as the
Severe staining was worrying for other bottles).

Bottle 22 of only 250 made it quite a special event

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Rossco wrote:Bottle 22 of only 250 made it quite a special event

Only 20 dozen made or did you buy 20 dozen and just like the number 22?

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Michael McNally

Tonight is a l2010 Orlando Granos Barossa Valley Shiraz Seductive nose of charred black berries and plums. Some oak. Nice black plum fruit with good balance of acid and oak. In a really nice space. For a cheaper label this really delivers.

Cheers

Michael

maybs

Post by maybs »

2009 Wynns Black Label Cab Sav.

Decanted about 1 1/2 hours.Very nice. A few offlines have increased my appreciation for coonawarra can and this seems like a fine example at a sharp price point. Black fruit, mild menthol that is softening as it breathes more, still plenty of tannins but softening, silky mouthfeel other than the tannins. Very enjoyable.

The way the pot au feu is smelling this will go a treat and I am in for a lovely Sunday winter evening.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Michael McNally wrote:

Cheers

Michael

Hahahaha I wish I had the money to buy 20 Doz magnums.....and the
Space to store them. Wife and kids dont need beds do they?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

1996 Orlando Centenary Shiraz - if you looked hard enough, you'll note pristine shiraz fruit. Sadly, it is obscured by a big whack of oak. That said, it was a bit of a crowd pleaser - must be a few fans of coconut and vanilla.

2006 Cedric Bouchard La Boloree - excellent Champagne, but perhaps not one for traditionalists.

MV Andre Clouet 'Cuvee 1911" Champagne - so called becase he only makes 1911 bottles of this wine. A blend of 95/96/97 pinot (100%?). This is an awesome wine in virtually every release, albeit in a richer and broader style to most Champagnes. Not cheap, nor easy to find, but worth owning if you like pinot-dominant Champagnes.

1997 Tignanello - not sure what the problem was, but this was disappointing given the hype around the vintage.

AaronL

Post by AaronL »

2005 Mons Rubra Pinot Noir-(screw cap) time has served this well, with the screw cap ensuring that the freshness still persists. Glowing pale red, there is some funk to go along with the pristine Macedon fruit. The acid ensures there is great drive along the palate. More of a food wine, with some light tannin to go along with the sour cherry fruit, oak is far off in the background. Lovely weekend drinking
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

AaronL

Post by AaronL »

2012 Pichler Krutzler Klostersatz Gruner Veltliner (screwcap) impressive tall bottle, which even shades a standard Riesling bottle. Good to see an old world white in a screwcap too. Great alternative to Chardonnay, medium bodied and full of grapefruit, ginger, spice, a minerality you don't see in local wines and a bit of salinity to finish. This should age nicely, but drinks well now too.
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

rens

Post by rens »

Rossco wrote:
Michael McNally wrote:

Cheers

Michael

Space to store them. Wife and kids dont need beds do they?

If you ever do, have a chat with Luke W. He buys stuff by the Pallet on occasion and is the Qld large volume buy expert.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

maybs

Post by maybs »

2014 Farr Rising Gamay

Stemmy slightly funky nose. The stemminess carries through into the palate, but in behind it there is some nice light red fruit and a little bit of herbs. Silky. Dry. Long finish. A bit of time to mellow should see this nicely fill out but I'm actually quite enjoying it now.

michel

Post by michel »

maybs wrote:2014 Farr Rising Gamay

Stemmy slightly funky nose. The stemminess carries through into the palate, but in behind it there is some nice light red fruit and a little bit of herbs. Silky. Dry. Long finish. A bit of time to mellow should see this nicely fill out but I'm actually quite enjoying it now.

tried to buy this but couldnt find it anywhere :(
International Chambertin Day 16th May

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Space to store them. Wife and kids dont need beds do they?[/quote]

If you ever do, have a chat with Luke W. He buys stuff by the Pallet on occasion and is the Qld large volume buy expert.[/quote]

Thanks for the plug Rens. Talking about some of my pallet purchases, I knocked off a couple of La Testas last nite and they were both to die for - a 1999 Cabernet and a 2000 Blend - these wines are just getting better every day.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Rory

Post by Rory »

2006 Fanti Rosso di Montalcino

Beautiful Rosso. Elegant & smooth. Olives, tobacco & herbs with a juicy finish.. Still looking fresh, and very drinkable.

maybs

Post by maybs »

michel wrote:
maybs wrote:2014 Farr Rising Gamay

tried to buy this but couldnt find it anywhere :(

Well worth a go, saw a lone bottle at a wine store and grabbed it to try. Might try and hunt down another to put away a few years.

maybs

Post by maybs »

2006 Giaconda Warner Vineyard Shiraz.

Wow. Inky purple. Heady nose. Rich multi layered palate. Really classy stuff.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

2013 seppelt jaluka chardonnay - for the price, really elegant and beautiful cool climate chardonnay.

2002 Rockford basket press shiraz. Just hedonistic. Such a powerful wine demanding you concentrate and give your full
Attention..and just a pup. Has decades left.....IF the cork holds..... This wine has been perfectly stored it's whole life.
Providence is 100%, yet cork was stained 3/4 to the top.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

1973 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia

Beautiful. Love this producer, sadly seldom get to drink though.
Griff (Carl) and I picked up a couple of 73 and 76(riservas) at auction about year ago, thankfully this was a sound bottle.
Very Pinot like, quite a bit of strawberry and flowers on the nose, smidge of caramel and earth.

Drunk at il Baretto (v early dinner) with duck ragu. Happy days.

Now home enjoying a glass of 09 Felton Rd Block 3, waiting for my wife to decide if american sniper is worth renting/watching.

Happy drinking all.

maybs

Post by maybs »

'13 Heemskerk Chardonnay which will go with the chicken ballotine I have in the oven when it is done.

Mineral then beautiful peachy fruit that starts linear then rounds out. Good balance, fair length. Maybe it is just so well balanced that I'm not feeling the acid much but not sure this is a long term proposition. Tasty though.

Haha Mick here having the same thoughts about American Sniper.

Rory

Post by Rory »

1996 Orlando Jacaranda Ridge Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon.
In my cellar from original release.
Cork was slightly more moist than I was expecting. But typical of the vintage, on song.
Not overtly powerfull, but long and elegant, with wonderful typicity of Coonawarra Cabernet. In fact after decanting, it tightened up a bit. Long length of flavour, probably at its peak, but will hold for a another 5 years fairly well.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Michael R wrote:Now home enjoying a glass of 09 Felton Rd Block 3, waiting for my wife to decide if american sniper is worth renting/watching.

Happy drinking all.

How is the Felton Mick?

Watched A.S the other night. Great movie, definitely recommended although there's (obviously) a bit of first person shooter violence, but overall well worth watching IMHO. Clint so often nails the reality vs hollywood vs humanity balance, and certainly does it here.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

It's good Tim, some herbal notes detract but decent nonetheless. At the price, I'd prefer burg every time though, or a little more for a sound 73 LdH :D

Really enjoying American sniper so far, and agree with your comments on it.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

2013 By Farr Chardonnay with lunch at Glebe Point Diner.
Would recommend both.

maybs

Post by maybs »

Michael R wrote:2013 By Farr Chardonnay with lunch at Glebe Point Diner.
Would recommend both.

Nice one Mick. The owner/chef is the son of a former colleague of mine. Went there a few times and really liked it but haven't been for ages. Reminds me I must go back soon.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Definitely do Scott.
Those tables outside are great, particularly for lunch in weather like this.

Plus it's byo Mon-Thurs!

Michael McNally

Moppity ' Lock and Key' Hilltops Shiraz

Very nice for the $17 I paid for it. After being open for an hour it has savoury black plum fruit, good persistence and nice pepper on the finish. Very moreish! Some floral notes and grip add interest. Very Very Good overall and Excellent QPR.

Cheers

Michael