What lengths do you go to for purchasing that elusive bottle

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Ozzie W

What lengths do you go to for purchasing that elusive bottle

Post by Ozzie W »

As the subject says, I'm curious how far others are willing to go just to buy a particular bottle of wine.

I'm finding that I often spend an inordinate amount of time, just to buy a bottle or three of some wine. I'll spend many, many hours searching online, checking out just about every single store in the country just to secure a bottle. Sometimes it pays off, other times it's fruitless. I've travelled 3 hours (round-trip) just to get to some store that had the last bottle of something I was after.

Some might say I'm crazy, after all, it's just a bottle of wine. I like to think I'm just extremely enthusiastic! To me, the hunt is almost as enjoyable as drinking the wine.

How far have you gone? Please share your wine procurement tales.

Hacker

Re: What lengths do you go to for purchasing that elusive bo

Post by Hacker »

It goes further than that.
It goes to procuring allocations. Constant research. It goes to securing information as to what are up and coming producers both here and overseas especially in Burgundy. It goes to carefully searching retailers and auction houses for backfilling those up and coming Burgundy producers from years that many people don't consider but I know will blossom with cellar time.

One example I can recount, when I worked in a bank dealing room (not that that is relevant) 12 years ago I procured the services of a French work mate to ring a famous and rare Champagne producer to ask if I could order an allocation of his hard to get bubbly. I even wrote out what to say for the bemused workmate, who translated into French! The Champagne maker's wife answered the phone luckily (he wouldn't have been as generous) and was quite receptive and allowed me a small allocation which I still luckily still receive today.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Wife drank the 2008 Colombaia Rosso Toscano IGT at a restaurant in tassie and
loved it enough that we sought out the winery following a work trip.
Was a wild goose chase/goat track mission to say the least but worth the effort.
Pics and purchases from previous post below;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13590&p=111894&hilit=colombaia#p111894
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

I must admit if sourcing a wine is too much hassle, I tend to just move on to something else... I mean, there is a limit to what I can buy.
I suppose the most effort I have gone to is Rockford in the sense I often went to the Barossa in March/April to be able to buy basket press..... but I wouldnt really call making a leisurely day trip to the Barossa a hard ship, and I tended to be free then due to easter anyway.
------------------------------------
Sam

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Hacker wrote:It goes further than that.
One example I can recount, when I worked in a bank dealing room (not that that is relevant) 12 years ago I procured the services of a French work mate to ring a famous and rare Champagne producer to ask if I could order an allocation of his hard to get bubbly.

I'm very glad you did!

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

Continuous scouring on Wine Search Pro for bargains, look for cases and magnums.

When travelling to the US, check out prices, and who'll ship to where I am headed.

Have regularly shipped wine from Europe to the UK ...

I admit it's the thrill of the bargain for me as well as the wine ... which means icons are out as they are rarely true bargains ... but seeking top quality under the radar or slightly obscure top wines is the way to go.

A case in point, I am drinking Querciabella Palafreno Merlot (Tuscany IGT) wine reduced from an average of £80 pb to £30 on Amazon, nice wine.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I have mates in various parts of Europe, US, Canada, UK and NZ who have taken deliveries of hard-to-source wine and whisky. I've normally tracked these bottles down through WS Pro. It's a bit tough sometimes.... I may not have spoken to them for a few years, but in the main, they've been happy to help out. And in some instances they've even transported them to Sydney and given them to my oldies for storage...

felixp

Post by felixp »

Last year, instead of going direct from Lyon to CDG Paris, which is less than 2 hours on the TGV, I detoured via Bordeaux :shock: :shock: :shock: which added about a further 9 hours to the trip to pick up a magnum of 2000 Lafleur at a ridiculously low price ($600). Straight onto the plane, making the total trip back to Oz about 38 hours!!!!
ok, so I saved maybe $1000, but it nearly killed me in the process, and on a cost savings-time analysis, it ain't that great,..... but we all love a bargain!!!!! :D :D :D

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

felixp wrote:Last year, instead of going direct from Lyon to CDG Paris, which is less than 2 hours on the TGV, I detoured via Bordeaux :shock: :shock: :shock: which added about a further 9 hours to the trip to pick up a magnum of 2000 Lafleur at a ridiculously low price ($600). Straight onto the plane, making the total trip back to Oz about 38 hours!!!!
ok, so I saved maybe $1000, but it nearly killed me in the process, and on a cost savings-time analysis, it ain't that great,..... but we all love a bargain!!!!! :D :D :D

I salute you, that is true dedication to the cause of drinking fine wine and QPR! Will be hard to beat.

My best of a three hour round trip drive (without success) for a specific rare vintage of Clonakilla SV (2008?) pales in comparison for obsessiveness.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Some great stories there everyone. Thanks for sharing. Keep them coming.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I looked at Langton's Auctions for the best part of a year in my search for the 1991 Wynn's Centenary. After having it a few times I just had to have some. Countless hours were spent searching and I finally ended up with 3 bottles for the price I was willing to pay. Bit different to searching out wineries I suppose but plenty of time wasted all the same!

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?