Melbourne wine bars.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TravisW

Melbourne wine bars.

Post by TravisW »

Afternoon all. What are some of your favourite Melbourne wine bars (or pubs) to get wine by the glass? Any cool pubs would be welcomed as well.

Cheers, Travis.

LGW

Re: Melbourne wine bars.

Post by LGW »

Harry & Frankie in port melbourne is great. $15 corkage on any bottle they have which are reasonably priced and quite a good selection.
Lawrie

Matt

Post by Matt »

Movida

via collins

Post by via collins »

Gerald's Bar in Rathdowne St Carlton - rotating range of reds and whites open. Excellent food available, but if all you want is wine, you'll be fine.
Carlton Wine Room - more fixed range by the glass, nice neighbourhood. You don't have to like Italian but it helps.
Underwood - nth Fitzroy, new owners replace the natural wine fans, Pauline and Leanne. Haven't tried yet, but bound to be a good one.
Neighbourhood Wine Bar - Nth Fitzroy. Upstairs in a room once used for gambling in the bad old days - see Si Parla Italiano. Haven't tried yet, but hearty recommendations from those I trust.
Geez, no wonder I like living here :)

paulf

Post by paulf »

For CBD wine bars, I'd go either City wine Shop on Spring St, Ombra on Burke St or Punch Lane in Little Burke. Movida Next Door is fun too. I've been meaning to try Bar Lourinha, in Little Collins st but haven't made it there yet.

For Pubs, it depends on what you are looking for... I tend to look for good Craft beer, decent pub food and then a decent wine list. I think the better pubs tend to be just out of the CBD -The Gertrude hotel in Gertrude St Fitzroy, The Terminus and the Clifton Hill hotel, both in Clifton Hill, Bouzy Rouge in Richmond, The Local Taphouse in St Kilda.
If I need a venue in the CBD for a beer and pub food, then it is usually Beer Deluxe (Fed Square), Belgian Beer Cafe (Eureka building Southbank), Mrs Parma's (little Bourke), Young and Jacksons (cnr Swanston and Flinders) or the Robin Hood (Collins st)