Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Matt

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Matt »

Thank you Allan for recommending Ashbrook. A few days in MR and it was a highlight - well priced and very good wines. 2011 cab merlot v good...rich full bodied, dark cherries and bitter choc. Grabbed some riesling too!
Lenton Brae - these guys are seriously contending for the best Chardonnay in the region imo - struck match, toasty cashew and White buttery peach. Woodlands Chloe is also not far behind - creamy mouthful with pristine fruit. Impeccably balanced and powerful - again cashews, white peach and grapefruit.
Junipers - CD staff sadly lacking interpersonal skills (no welcome) and unfortunately you add 30% mark up to the wines :(
Grabbed some 2010 cab sav at $60 even though I could have grabbed it at around $40 in perth.

Ashbrook - Excellent
woodlands - excellent
Lenton brae - excellent (watch out MR chardonnay producers as their wilybarup is closing in on you).

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Chuck wrote:Last night with some lovely snapper, salad and crusty bread we enjoyed a Patrick of Coonawarra 2013 Riesling. Surprisingly good for a Coonawarra rizza. More Clare like.

SWMBO and daughter have gone to Melbourne for a girls weekend so with crocodile tears we waved goodbye. So here I sit doing f-all drinking a Vale Ale Pale Ale at 3.30pm in the arvo listening to some old Leon Russell songs on Spotify looking longingly at a Jamiesons Run 2001 Winemakers Reserve Coonawarra Cabernet Shiraz wondering if there will be any left after a take away sushi dinner and a Tarantino flick. Can it get any better? Life indeed does have some sweet spots.

Carl

Post script to this. The Jamiesons Run was a stunning wine forcing me to finish it on the night. People may laugh at this and many other high quality wines made under this label between 1998 and 2003. Basically the Coonawarra winemakers were given access to selected batches of grapes to make a wine that would start shining only after considerable time in a cellar. There was the Alexander Block Cabernet, O'Dea Block Shiraz this wine and maybe one more. They were also given some great new oak and excellent cork and retailed around $55+. Unfortunately like the Jacobs Creek Limited Release range the winery's name destined the wines to the graveyard. I delayed this post script as I hunted 5 of the cab/shiraz at auction from known providence which were secured for $20. Levels were unbelievable and the result of excellent corks and storage. Please keep this quiet so the market does not get too crowded. They pop up occasionally at auction. One day I might invite a few of you foramites over for a meal and tasting of the range I have been working on for years. Moral of this story - you drink wines not labels.

Oh and the sushi and Tarantino flick (True Romance) made it a perfect night. The lounge was soft and inviting.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Last night....
2005 Yarra Yering Dry Red No.1 Not yet ready, tight and acidic, actually a bit disappointing. Dark fruits lurking in the back palate but the tight element won't let them out.
2002 Kalleske Greenock Shiraz. Smooth full bodied silk. Delicious. Beautiful wine.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

ads_11

Post by ads_11 »

Day 2 of a 2011 Marius Simpatico and OMG, this is amazing! Massive dark fruit on the nose, elegant tannin and awesome length.. I bought a few '10, 11's and '12 of both the Simpatico and Symphony and this is the first time I have tasted them.. So glad I have jumped on the bandwagon!

felixp

Post by felixp »

1999 Confuron-Cotetidot Vosne Romanee Les Suchots
perhaps my favourite premier cru vineyard in Burg, but this is a pretty standard offering. Nice, but seems a little shy on both Vosne spice and minerality. Perhaps this is another 99 still too young.
Drink: 2020-2030, 90pts.

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

Marks and Spencer Fox Hollow Hunter Semillon 2006 - single vineyard wine by Tyrells and just top notch gear, reminds me of Belford.
11 bottles to go but they won't last long.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Petaluma Cabernet Merlot 2001: This is about 50:50 Cab/Merlot and bought at auction. I was having a gathering with some wino's & thought this would make a good contribution. I decanted around 1.5hrs before the event & popped the wine back into the bottle. I did a quick taste before leaving. Remarkably closed, dead, very little flavor. I started to panick a little bit, this is a dud! Decided to take another couple of bottles. Anyway, we decant again at venue, leave another 30-40mins or so before drinking. What a change. Opened up beautifully, lovely smooth well rounded fruit & mouthfeel. Drinking very well now.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Hacker wrote:2002 Kalleske Greenock Shiraz. Smooth full bodied silk. Delicious. Beautiful wine.

Totally agree. Beautiful wine that will last an age! Grange quality at a 20th of the price :D
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

2004 Taittinger Comtes BdB (x 3) - the lemon essence nose is getting less pronounced, but otherwise, this Champagne hasn't budged from release. Comtes has to be the best value tete de cuvee in the market (except in Australia - the prices there are ridiculous compared to other tete de cuvees) and is probably my favourite Champagne year in year out. The 04 is an outstanding release.

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

ads_11 wrote:Day 2 of a 2011 Marius Simpatico and OMG, this is amazing! Massive dark fruit on the nose, elegant tannin and awesome length.. I bought a few '10, 11's and '12 of both the Simpatico and Symphony and this is the first time I have tasted them.. So glad I have jumped on the bandwagon!

Similar to you ads I also picked up a selection of 10's, 11's and 12's, and opened a bottle of the 2011 Simpatico first last December. I had expected big things but the amazing, beautifully integrated wine totally exceeded my expectations. I have also been fortunate to taste the 2008 End Play which was an epiphany.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Goodiesons Pilsener right now (very good small producer beer from McLaren Vale)
A truckload of grenache and tempranillos tonight
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

Dads 50th tonight
Not 50th birthday, 50th year of the business, gp in private practice
Family dinner, wife & kids, brother wife & kids and mum and dad.
1999 voyager estate cab merlot
1997 tyrells vat 1 semillion
2009 A. Bichot Pinot noir
I opened the voyager at home earlier on to let it breathe and sample. Was a bit worried. Seemed past its day. In the end it appears this was the opposite of the reality. B the time we sat down and drank it was superb.
Vat 1 - surprised this disappointed tonight. The cork was soaked and I could taste it in there. Was frustrating because I could taste a great wine in there somewhere.
Bi hot Pinot - I boudght this at auction knowing nothing about it but having fond memories of a fantastic time in the region 15 years ago. I really liked it, some of the others did too, but some thought it was so so, nothing special. I reckon it needs time, but the reality is so do I. lol

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

Keith Tulloch Kester Shiraz 2005. Gee this is singing at 10 years under screwcap. Lovely wine. Medium bodied but intense and great fruit nose. Decent tannins in a nice package.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

qwertt wrote:Keith Tulloch Kester Shiraz 2005. Gee this is singing at 10 years under screwcap. Lovely wine. Medium bodied but intense and great fruit nose. Decent tannins in a nice package.

I opened this same wine recently...can't find any tasting notes. I recall it was certainly still powerful and maybe not perfectly clean in a regional sort of way. Good wine well made but must be far better in better vintages.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

2012 grosset gaia : balanced dry red that is good now but will get more interesting

have drunk many grosset wines from around the 1998 vintage and am confident that they are worth cellaring - and not just as since circa 2000 they are under stelvin - but as they are wines that gain worthwhile 2nd'y characters with time.

ps : also bought a bottle of the grosset 45 spirit - a sort of grappa made from polish hill riesling - very good - a carefully made spirit can pay its way if it stops you opening another bottle of wine when you should really go to bed but need a " nightcap "

i prefer it neat but the suggested cocktail on the mailing list combining a shot with aperol and tonic is lovely too

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

cuttlefish wrote:
qwertt wrote:Keith Tulloch Kester Shiraz 2005. Gee this is singing at 10 years under screwcap. Lovely wine. Medium bodied but intense and great fruit nose. Decent tannins in a nice package.

I opened this same wine recently...can't find any tasting notes. I recall it was certainly still powerful and maybe not perfectly clean in a regional sort of way. Good wine well made but must be far better in better vintages.

It opened up slightly sulphurous but cleared quickly. I was very happy with it.

Also had a bottle of Tyrrell’s Johnno’s semillon 2009 - the first one made. Just terrific. Super fresh. Drinking brilliantly now but with a lot of life left.

Rory

Post by Rory »

A couple of local ones over the week:

2010 Dexter Pinot Noir Drinling beautifully right now. Elegant yet powerfull, balanced and long. Lovely structure. Will go at least another 5 years easily.
2008 Paringa Estate Shiraz A great bottle, as I have had some brett effected ones. Lively juicy fruit, well balanced, supremely gluggable cool climate.
2010 Hurley Vineyard Hommage Pinot Noir It is typically elegant, yet the oak is in the fore, not in a harsh way, it is well handled and soft, yet the moccha notes are there. Coule actually do well with another few years under the belt. The fruit is quite dense.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

2007 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons - I daresay this will be one of the only houses to release a 2007. It was ok, but not at the lofty standards this maker normally achieves.

2002 Grosset Polish Hill - fantastic. Drinking near its peak.

1986 Penfolds St Henri - I've probably been through 3 dozen of this wine since release, and lately, is just starting to look a bit tired. Still pretty good though.

toofastdriving

Post by toofastdriving »

Wynns John Riddoch Cab 1986
Cork fell into the bottle just looking at it with an AhSo - didn't have high hopes. Bottle was surprisingly ok - this is my first well aged cab sav - not sure if I'm just not such a fan or if the bottle was a little past it. Quite tasty but far from blowing my mind.

ads_11

Post by ads_11 »

2009 Kellermeister Wild Witch - After I managed to lift the worlds heaviest bottle, this was consumed with an awesome lasagne..

Lots of black fruit and surprisingly mellow for a young Barossa Shiraz. I am sure the last one I had was a bit more gutsy, so this may be starting to develop a little quicker than I thought. Still very nice though.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Rockford 2010 Basket Press Shiraz. Haven't had a BP for years and it is a special wine especially from good vintages.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

Andrew Jordan wrote:
Hacker wrote:2002 Kalleske Greenock Shiraz. Smooth full bodied silk. Delicious. Beautiful wine.

Totally agree. Beautiful wine that will last an age! Grange quality at a 20th of the price :D

Ooh, noice. Have a couple stashed away somewhere.

-- George Krashos

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Tonight-2005 Godolphin Forceful power but poise as well. Needs a rich food accompaniment to temper it's brooding soul. Has at least five or more years of domination left.

The other night - Ulysse Collin Champagne. Pass. Just don't get it. Luckily my last out of a six pack.
2005 Leeuwin Estate Cab Cav. Now you're talking! Cigar box, graphite, small berry goodness all wrapped up in a delicious glass or two :)

Cheers,
Dave.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

ads_11

Post by ads_11 »

1992 Rockford Homeblock Cabernet (Magnum)

Picked this up at auction about 12 months ago so was a bit worried it may have been a dud. Cut the top off and the cork looked pristine from the top. Unfortunately, it broke in half as I pulled it out but the second half came out no worries.. Not a skerick of movement up the cork and smelled amazing on opening.
Unfortunately, no decanter at hand so it was essentially a pop and pour. Still traces of fruit on the front palate, and a medium finish. Started to wane fairly quickly once open. Would think that this would hold up for a couple more years but very enjoyable now..

Very happy overall and an absolute bargain as far as I am concerned..

*** Apologise for the sideways pic, not sure why that is ***
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

2009 Fattoria Vignavecchia Chianti Classico Riserva

Muted at first , Double decanted and taken to restaurant.
Reopening at restaurant there were lots of stewed red fruits, and a bit of pepper.
Red fruits again whilst tasting and a fair bit of tannin to hold it. finish was medium.
Wine started to become a bit lifeless toward the end of the night, but overall happy with it and a few more bottles left.
instagram.com/wine_pug

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Head 2013 Old Vine Grenache
Head 2013 Ancestor Grenache

Had not tried these two wines before, but both take me to a place not visited before very often...Barossa Grenache
Both really plush rich and just lovely in the mouth, silky coating all corners...the Ancestor is a super wine, probably one of the best of this variety that I have tried.
A nice change from shiraz.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

toofastdriving wrote:Wynns John Riddoch Cab 1986
Cork fell into the bottle just looking at it with an AhSo - didn't have high hopes. Bottle was surprisingly ok - this is my first well aged cab sav - not sure if I'm just not such a fan or if the bottle was a little past it. Quite tasty but far from blowing my mind.

Thanks TFD, I was really underwhelmed with this particular vintage of JR, on the 2-3 occasions of opening a bottle thinking is that all there is?
Will probably need to look at another one soon, but thanks for the note, my thoughts about the wine largely concur with yours.

Cheers
Craig

toofastdriving

Post by toofastdriving »

phillisc wrote:Thanks TFD, I was really underwhelmed with this particular vintage of JR, on the 2-3 occasions of opening a bottle thinking is that all there is?
Will probably need to look at another one soon, but thanks for the note, my thoughts about the wine largely concur with yours.

Cheers
Craig

Thanks for the note. Don't actually have any other JR in the cellar and was taking this as the deciding benchmark whether or not to pick up some of the 2010 at retail - think I'm deciding against it. Might see what sort of sale prices we end up at with release of the 2012 if I'm going to grab a couple but not in a hurry.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Toofastdriving,
I think that there has to be an outstanding bottle of 86 JR at some stage...the 86 BL is a great wine.
If you can get the 2010 for a 'good price' I would certainly buy..but yes I am very biased.

I think the 2010 is a seriously impressive wine and got a few, particularly as the 2010 single vineyard release wines were very smart too.
I often use the white label Shiraz as a barometer for the rest of the range, and if anything is to go by, the rest of the 2012 wines will be very good long term prospects.

I agree that the prices for JR are just plain dumb, no other way to say it (4 Lindies 2012 St George for 1 bottle of Riddoch?)
Yes I will not be rushing for the 2012, despite all the Wynnsday junket hype, and of course an obligatory 98+ score from you know who.
The chains will do their normal drip feed practices with this wine, but history tells me that there will be plenty available.
Where I brought the 2010, I was the only purchaser of Riddoch and Michael...seems many punters have moved on.

Cheers
Craig

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.