A weekend in SA

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

A weekend in SA

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

I'm going to be in Glenelg for most of the last week in March, and I am considering staying for the weekend. Of course, that means getting out of Adelaide and spending time in one of the SA wine regions. But which one?

I will exclude the Clare Valley up front - I love the place, but have been there twice in recent years, and the Riesling count in the cellar exceeds 200, and I don't need any more. Possibly not Coonawarra either due to the drive (it's really an overnighter at this stage, unless I can stay Monday as well)

I've not really visited the Eden Valley (note Riesling comment above) but have been to Barossa, and McLaren Vale, although many years ago. And I have explored the Adelaide Hills to some extent, but could always learn more. This could be the place to try again.

More to the point, any suggestions on where to stay (I am likely to be travelling alone, although I hope to change that :)) and where to eat would be most welcome.

Cheers
Allan

PS; please also link this with the proposed offline in Adelaide. If it had not been proposed already, I would have proposed one! Possibly the Friday night?
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Scotty vino

Re: A weekend in SA

Post by Scotty vino »

Waiters Friend wrote:G'day

I'm going to be in Glenelg for most of the last week in March, and I am considering staying for the weekend. Of course, that means getting out of Adelaide and spending time in one of the SA wine regions. But which one?

I will exclude the Clare Valley up front - I love the place, but have been there twice in recent years, and the Riesling count in the cellar exceeds 200, and I don't need any more. Possibly not Coonawarra either due to the drive (it's really an overnighter at this stage, unless I can stay Monday as well)

I've not really visited the Eden Valley (note Riesling comment above) but have been to Barossa, and McLaren Vale, although many years ago. And I have explored the Adelaide Hills to some extent, but could always learn more. This could be the place to try again.

More to the point, any suggestions on where to stay (I am likely to be travelling alone, although I hope to change that :)) and where to eat would be most welcome.

Cheers
Allan

PS; please also link this with the proposed offline in Adelaide. If it had not been proposed already, I would have proposed one! Possibly the Friday night?

I wouldn't discount Clare Valley for only having rieslings. Plenty of good reds up there. Tim Adams, Kilikanoon. list goes on.
I'd discount it as you're looking at about a 1 hour and 45 min drive To CV from the bay. Around the 1 hour and 20 min to BV /EValso.
Mclaren Vale you're looking at about a 40min drive from the bay and the same with the hills.
I'd probably go Mclaren Vale as it's prob a bit easier getting around from cellar door to cellar door.
Something like the McMurtrie Mile where you can hit Primo, Wirra Wirra and Hugh Hamilton in one go is a good example.
Also the chapel hill/samuels gorge double is a fave of mine. Samuels gorge is still a winner for wines/views/experience.
Maybe oliver's taranga? I could keep going..... :wink:
Pity you're not here for the weekend feb 20-22 for cellar door festival. 20min tram ride from the bay and whole bunch
of sa offerings under one roof at the convention centre in the city.

places to stay in mclaren vale? Not really sure, usually come home!
Eating? Nice provincial lunch = Fino. Pizza = Russell's. Pub = Victory hotel.

I'm doing a Barossa Valley stint late march and staying in the barossa shiraz estate for a night.
First vist so I'll see how that goes. I've got a few Cd's on the list including
Charles Melton, Rockford, Gomersal, Gibson, Rusden and Hentley farm.
Ferment asian for dinner and then Fino for lunch the following day. Also considering Rolf Binder and tscharke wines.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Eden Valley is a hidden gem and slightly off the beaten trail so it should not be too crowded. Some very nice cooler climate cabernets can be found there. Henschke's up there too but I think it has restricted opening hours. Lovely drive too if you take the hills route. Speaking of which you could do the Adelaide Hills first and then cruise through to Eden Valley. You'll beat the heat too if Adelaide is experiencing a stinker. March is peak month for stinkers :shock:

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

limkeith

Post by limkeith »

Definitely Barossa, farmers market on Saturday morning, Henschke and Yalumba before lunch, roaring forties pizza for lunch, then rockfords (basket press would be available) Hensley farm, torbreck and artisans to round out the day

TrickyH

Post by TrickyH »

I think it depends, Allan, on what you're currently enjoying drinking.
If you're liking your big fruity shiraz, then definitely head to the Barossa. And if you start at the Angaston end (as suggested: Henschke, Yalumba, roaring forties) then you might as well drop in to 'Taste Eden' for a good round up of Eden Valley wines (they have some Henschke and Irvine for tasting as well as a bunch of others.)
However, if the Torbreck 'house style' isn't your thing, then probably best to head to a different region.

Lot's of interesting things happening in the Adelaide Hills at the moment. Thinking The Lane, Shaw and Smith, Hahndorf Hill, Ngeringa. Petaluma are opening a new cellar door at Woodside (but not sure this will be open for your trip.) The Lane has a pretty decent recent restaurant as well. In addition to the usual suspects there are some fantastic medium bodied reds (Pinots, Shiraz, Cabernet) coming out of the Hills now. It also seems to be an area where growers and makers are willing to take more risks to try new varieties.

But then there is Mclaren Vale: (as previously indicated) you are spoilt for choice not matter where your tastes lie. Primo is a must (both the Moda and Angel Gully shiraz are back to top form - as well as the Italian varieties) I'd also recommend Wirra Wirra. Up the northern end is Yangarra Estate (one of my favourites at the moment)

There is also the National Wine Centre in the city. Quite a good range to taste from. I think you can even buy a tasting of Hill of Grace.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Gee, you people make the choices difficult! Too many of them :) Much appreciated, however.

Let's take Clare out of the equation (I have stocked up on their reds as well as Rieslings). For Barossa / Eden, McLaren Vale and the Hills, I'd appreciate good cottage-style accommodation suggestions, as well as eateries.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Matt

Post by Matt »

There's a beaut b&b next door to Rockfords which is cottage style, unfortunately I can't remember the name.

Ferment Asian for dinner in Tanunda is excellent.

I would recommend Gomersal Wines for their 2010 reserve shiraz. Decanter gave it a glowing accolade and only $25!

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

Some further Adelaide Hills suggestions.... For a boutique tasting experience, I'd definitely recommend heading up to Ashton Hills for a tasting of Stephen George's wonderful cool climate pinots and sparkling in his tin shed (get in now before the winery is sold!). Often he'll have a few back vintage reds made from Wendouree grapes available for tasting also. Food wise, would recommend a long lunch at the Pike and Joyce cellar door. It's become quite popular, so suggest booking well in advance. For something pretty informal, but still a great location, the platters available at Hahndorf Hill are lovely also. Finish off with a wine and cheese flight at Shaw and Smith. My thoughts are that you could easily do the Hills in one day, leaving you the second for perhaps McLaren Vale.

limkeith

Post by limkeith »

Carob cottage is really affordable if you do 4-5 nights, plus it's a 5 min walk to two hands