Tassie Trip

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Jaseziv

Tassie Trip

Post by Jaseziv »

Hi all,

Booked to head across the pond to Tassie for the last weekend in Feb and will be staying in Hobart for four nights spanning starting on the Friday...

Was hoping that I could get some direction as to which wineries to visit. The GF likes her wine, but I'm pretty sure all I'll get as play time is one day so would need to be able to fit it all in the one day. We'll be hiring a car so travelling won't be an issue (who's driving will though :roll: )

Look forward to the guidance and thanks in advance!
Envious of the Angel's share

sjw_11
Site Admin

Re: Tassie Trip

Post by sjw_11 »

Check out this thread for a lot of suggestions:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13250&start=0&hilit=tasmania
------------------------------------
Sam

calm

Post by calm »

Pooley and Puddleduck are good places to visit in the Coal River Valley just out of Hobart. Both have good facilities, Pooley wine is particularly ace. I would like to have visited Domaine A Stoney Vineyard but ran out of time, I am not sure they have a cellar door, great wines.
Craig S

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

If you even have a passing interest in whisky, i suggest visiting Sullivans Cove....

Further north, i was impressed by Bay of Fires and Chromy.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Freycinet wines a bit out of the way. Nice spot, worth the effort. Freycinet Louis pinot noir very good.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Hi Jasesiv

Did a day trip from Hobart in November. Went to:
Derwent Estate - top bloke, great range, bought
Stefano Lubiana - commercial, paid $5 to taste 5 wines (not the range) beautiful view and nice coffee. Didn't buy.
Puddleduck - friendly, kitsch, touristy, good wines
Frogmore Creek - HAVE LUNCH HERE - BOOK AHEAD. Wonderful degustation lunch. Good wines. Bought a couple of bottles
Ran out of time due to the long leisurely lunch (started at 1 and finished around 3.30) but Pooley is close. Went there in April and it was worth a visit. Domaine A is also nearby but didn't go back this time either.
This is just over an hour's driving and you could do the loop in reverse but that complicates lunch at Frogmore Creek.
Freycinet would add around 2 hours driving.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

PDG

Post by PDG »

Just spent the xmas break in Tassy, did the Overland Track which was epic (that's another story though) but also took a day trip out to Coal River Valley. I'd suggest; Pooley (my favourite), Domaine A (although I found the tasting/experience a bit dull (which matches other reports I've read on here - great wine but!)), Frogmore + lunch (the 42 degree South and Storm Bay labels are also on tasting so there is a lot to try here). I also visited Craigow and Puddleduck which were both okay.

In addition to this, if you are heading up to Freycinet Peninsula (Wineglass Bay) then there are a few on the way. Milton Estate my favourite (Their Riesling and Gewurtz were especially nice), Spring Vale and Devils corner. Also consider Huon Valley which is an hour south of Hobart if time allows. Or if you are going MONA then Moorilla are there too.

If you run out of time then you should visit the Gasworks cellar door which is in Hobart city. You can do a tasting a tasting there of quite a few of the local wines...plus they have a shop next door where you can buy them from!

Cheers

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

Another vote for Pooley if you're confined to the Hobart area - loved their Riesling last time I was there.

Jaseziv

Post by Jaseziv »

Hi all,

Thanks heaps for the tips - Much appreciated!!

Well we've slightly modified our plans and will be spending our first night at Freycinet so will definitely make the stops suggested along the way. Bonus being that that part wont be included in my dedicated wine touring day so I've just earned myself extra play time!
Envious of the Angel's share

Redback

Post by Redback »

I was in Tassie for a week in September.

Within Hobart, Gasworks is a good start. Their rooms are divided into 3 where you can taste wines from the North (Tamar), East (Freycinet) and South. Whilst there you can pick up a wine trail book.

MONA is worth a visit and whilst there, pop into Moorilla. Stefano Lubiano is not too far away and is highly recommended.

In the Coal Valley, there are a few wineries however I went to Pooley and Frogmore Creek which were both good. If I had the time, I would also have gone to Pressing Matters (bookings required).

Towards Huon Valley, Home Hill is a must.

In the East, Freycinet is obligatory. Wines are great and I also recommend their olive oil. Spring Vale is also nearby.

You will find that most cellar doors will require some form of small payment for tasting which is taken off should you buy any wine,

Broughy

Post by Broughy »

The Richmond Wine Centre has just changed hands and is now the Clemens Hill Cellar Door. Excellent lunch here, ham hock terrine, duck pastries, cheese, mussels,and some slightly more substantial food. Best place for lunch in Richmond. Full range of Clemens hill wines and a selection of Tas wines. Try the Chardonnay trophy Melb wine show.