Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Scotty vino

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Scotty vino »

2009 hollick wrattonbully shiraz with xmas lunch
2012 gemtree uncut shiraz with dinner.

both quite nice but the gem tree was very tight and needs a couple at least.
hollick had quite a bit of menthol on the nose. touch of vanilla.
very fine/smooth tannins but this wine just lacked a bit of drive and punch for me.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

tunetown

Post by tunetown »

1994 Wynns Michael Shiraz. A Christmas day special. Absolutely outstanding. I was anxious about the cork but the Ah-so pulled it out easily and it was perfect. Drinking beautifully.
Cheers
Peter Houghton

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Thank God for Barolo Chinato....slept beautifully!

Some 1999 Barolos out of picture- Oderro Vigna Rionda and B MAscarello 2000.

Old Aussie disappointing- 94 Cyril fruit was faded ( bad bottle ) leaving skeletal cedar wood to dominate, Jasper Hill Emily's 2000 an 88 pointer, Basket Press 96 by last glass excellent once fresh leather and spice offset by beautiful fresh shiraz fruit. Fox Creek Reserve 2002 was solid!
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Jamie,

What's the Rockford Pinot Meunier (spelling) like?

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

felixp

Post by felixp »

Christmas dinner after struggling home thru peak hour traffic in thick mizzle

2005 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay
superb, peach and flint, as good as most Puligny !er's. Developing a track record not far behind Grange.
drink now, 94pts

1996 disgorge Rockford Black Shiraz
definitely an acquired taste it seems, but I loved it, our guests nodded politely and I noted almost full glasses left hehe, good, there was more for me!!!
drink now, 93 pts

2008 Bass Phillip Premium Pinot
was really on song, lots of up-front fruit and good length. Excellent Antipodean pinot noir.
drink now-2020, 89 pts

2002 Bouchard Beaune 1er Greves vigne de l'enfant Jesus
an immediate and obvious step up in class from the previous wine, a magical pairing with the Beijing kao ya. Dark cherries, so much focus, minerality, lovely round Volnay mouth-feel. Excellent.
drink: now-2020, 93pts

1999 Domaine Leroy Clos de la Roche
an exceedingly generous bottle from one of the guests, opened about two hours before consuming, but alas no decanter available, so more a quick slow-ox :D
a massive wine, still firmly shut, managed to coax some floral notes, and anise with black fruits on the palate, but this was opened at least a decade too early. 99 Burgundy is a little like 00 Bordeaux, two increasingly frustrating and backward vintages. Scored more on the label than anything else
drink: 2025-2050, 93+++++

1996 Moss Wood
came across as a little simple after the string of Burgs, but pleasant enough. I would not hold too much longer.
drink: now, 89pts

1997 Rockford Vintage Port
a cracker, still young, but absolutely delicious!!! Very popular with the Chinese, who immediately wanted to purchase some!!!
drink: 2020-2040, 92pts

A great night, washed down with plenty of Tsing Tao's. Forget Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and BMW, there is no doubt Germany's gift to the world came about when they colonised Qingdao all those years ago, and built a brewery. When purchased locally, best beer in the word, bearing little or no resemblance to the 12 month old stuff that turns up in Australia.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

2003 Kalleske Shiraz Greenock - Wow ... this is good. Didn't really have many expectations for this bottle as it was from a so called weaker Barossa vintage and follows the fantastic initial 2002 release. Not much on the nose but on first tasting well-balanced came straight to mind. Plenty of up-front black fruit married nicely with a flavoursome tannic, drying finish ... that lasts. Definitely a full bodied style of wine, but has a quality behind it that makes you want to refill your glass. RP said this could be one of the leading candidates for Barossa's "Shiraz of the Vintage" and according to this bottle he may just be right! Drinking well now but no need to rush ... well cellared bottles should last for at least another 10 or so years. For $35/bottle on release, that is real bang for your buck.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Yesterday and today...

Rockford Black Shiraz, think 2010 disgorged
2007 Lehmann Wigan Riesling
2004 Tintara Grenache
2002 Henschke Hill of Grace
2008 Collector Reserve Shiraz
Moët NV
2013 Stefano Lubiana Pinot Gris

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

This chrismas was a pretty special one for us this year.
It may be the last one for my wife's grandpa,
so we got out some good ones.

Lunch:
Rockford black shiraz (2010 disgorge)
Primo estate Joseph sparkling red (2013 disgorge)
04 yearing farm johns vintage sparkling pinot chardonnay
Magnum of 08 yabby lake estate chardonnay
Magnum of 98 Jim Barry McRae wood shiraz

Dinner:
Braydun Hil sparkling shiraz
Magnum of an 01 German Riesling of some description...will try and
Find out what it was. Was on the sweeter end of the spectrum, and I think I remember
The words kabinett on the bottle. Was a long day and was a bit hazy towards the end.

Teisto

Post by Teisto »

A number over the last few days

2002 Cape Mentelle cab Sauv
2005 Petersons old block Mudgee Shiraz
2009 Upper Reach Sparkling Shiraz
2002 Brokenwood Cricket pitch Magnum
2007 Paradigm Hill L'ami Sage Pinot noir
2008 Paradigm Hill Riesling

All very good. The cape Mentelle probably not showing its best due to storage I would say. The L'ami Sage was very very good

Rory

Post by Rory »

1990 Wynns Black Label Cab Sauv.

Been rather lucky lately with the quality of some of the older bottles being opened.
This bottle represented as good as this wine can get, i believe.
Outstanding power and length, everything in balance, yet still looking fresh. Bottles of this quality will go another ten years in its stride.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Yelland & Papps Devote Shiraz 2012
Lovely mulberry and cassis intermingled with meaty, bacon fat notes. It's powerful, long and very approachable now.

Amazing value at $33 - highly recommended!!

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

1999 Silverado Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - Still holding ... just. Fruit still there, blackberry, cherry, but probably on the downhill slide. Elegant, old Napa cabernet. Nothing special, but well balanced and smooth with a drying finish. Probably past it's best unfortunately and a drink now proposition.

NV A. R. Lenoble Champagne Brut Intense - A pinot noir dominant blend from 3 regions within Champagne. Very fine bead which is very refreshing with plenty of citrus notes and some brioche in the background. Not the most complex NV champagne on the market, but for the price this is a quality buy.
Cheers
AJ

felixp

Post by felixp »

my look into 2000 Bordeaux continues, tonight I had a look at a $45 "quaffer" from Pomerol.

2000 Chateau La Croix St Georges
love the heavy, old-fashioned bottle. Good start.
someone just shoved my nose into a burning blackberry bush… dark fruits, charcoal, graphite signals a classy palate to follow
the palate is full of promise, but alas, STILL too young. Gosh, 2000 might take an eternity to come around, even this lowly wine needs time!!! A little closed, prominent but ripe tannins, and a steely spine suggest this needs another 5 years at least, annoying~!!!!!!!! :evil:
92++++ points, drink 2020+

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Michael R wrote:Yesterday and today...

Rockford Black Shiraz, think 2010 disgorged
2007 Lehmann Wigan Riesling
2004 Tintara Grenache
2002 Henschke Hill of Grace
2008 Collector Reserve Shiraz
Moët NV
2013 Stefano Lubiana Pinot Gris

What was the Collector like Michael?

Cheers, Travis.

Cesar

Post by Cesar »

Wynns John Riddoch 1994

Had it at the new Pig n Whistle in Fortitude Valley for an extremely reasonable$125 bucks

Perfectly cellared this wine was looking great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Primo Estate Joseph Sparkling Red (disgorged 2003) - Muted nose not giving anything away. Fine bead and ruby in colour. Takes it's time to open up but once it does there is plenty of dark stone fruit and savoury flavours. Medium finish. Probably not the best bottle we have had but still ok. Based on this bottle I would think about putting this wine on your tasting bench in the near future.
Cheers
AJ

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Hi Travis

It was lovely mate.
Real crowd pleaser, smooth finish, nice fruit, and starting to show some tertiary notes.
Not the most complex perhaps, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

We drank a through 6-pack for my wifes birthday 18 months ago, and i would say its lost a little tannin and structure since then (or at least this bottle did). Its not falling over by any means but i I quite enjoyed/preferred the slight edginess of youth back then, but this was still a good drop.
If you're sitting on some, no harm to put one in the decanter and see for yourself. I'd be very confident you'll enjoy it and i'd really like to hear your thoughts on it.

I've got 2 more left, may crack one tonight if the chance arises.

Happy New Year to you
Michael

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

What Mick? You liked a Shiraz Viognier???

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

1999 L'Ecole No. 41 Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley - Light garnet in colour. Spice and dark fruit on the nose. Very savoury palate full of pepper, spice and dark fruit. Purchased in Seattle in 2001 and the patience has paid off. Quite an enjoyable medium bodied Washington State cabernet. Finishes long and smooth. Has peaked but well cellared bottles should hold for a few more years.
Cheers
AJ

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Polymer wrote:What Mick? You liked a Shiraz Viognier???

Haha!
Classic Kev :-)
I spent quite some time trying to decide whether some Viognier was in it.
It's normally the nose that gives it away.
Maybe Travis can shed some light....

maybs

Post by maybs »

NYE so cracked open some 2004 Dom Perignon. Quite nice. Think I prefer the 2002 Pol Roger though? This has a full and satisfying body, good flavours and long finish but no x factor for me and maybe lacking a bit in acidity. The guests enjoyed the label though which I will be honest to say was kinda the point.

Also opened a few 2005 Lovedale Semillons. Very nice. Still plenty of years ahead of it but starting to fill out nicely and get some real body and early stages of secondary characters. Think I only have 2 bottles left so I might try and pick up a few more and stash them very deep in the cellar because this is drinking well so I may know off the few bottles I have in the near term.

Moved on to a 2012 Hoddles Creek 1er Chardonnay. I really like this wine and can't seem to keep my hands off it, so when I saw the local merchant clearing the last of theirs at a discount I ordered 6 more to pick up this week. A crowd pleasing wine at the price point for anyone that likes a chardonnay with some body and character, it is a bit of a go to when hosting people who enjoy wine but are not tooooo into it.

Opened a 2009 Chateau Myrat with dessert. Quite nice, apricotty sweetness and good length but didn't rock my world.

Was still thirsty so then cracked a 2006 Torbreck The Struie. Very nice but a bit blurry by this point other than to say I remarked to my wife how enjoyable it was. Half a bottle left to reconsider tonight.

Was a great night. The whites went well with boned spatchcock ballotines stuffed with spinach, prosciutto, onion, garlic and pine nuts.

Happy New Year to everyone. Hope it is a healthy and prosperous 2015.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Mivvy

Post by Mivvy »

The better bottles from over the Christmas/New Year period:

2010 Vietti Castiglione
- a fair bit of structure and some drying tannins, softened with some air, classic Barolo perfume and taste, looks a keeper and US$42 a bottle!
2010 Montevertine Rosso di Toscana - was a welcome change after some big Spanish wines, refreshing bright cherry like fruit but with some depth, nice long finish, very nice
2010 Kumeu River Mates Chardonnay - big favourite, very consistent, great balance, intense fruit with cleansing acidity, didn't last long
2013 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelrich Kabinett - very intense fruit, lots of acidity, touch of sweetness, more acidity than other recent vintages
2011 Marc Colin Chassagne-Montrachet Les Encegnieres - lemon, nuts, plenty of depth, long clean finish with a touch of salinity, lovely

Also an honourable mention to some craft beer....... Ballast Point Sculpin - big and bitter!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2001 Coriole Lloyd...can not work out if this bugger is corked or so so closed, there is so little on the nose and the palate should be screaming rich robust MV shiraz...very annoyed might ring said winery in the am.
First of a pristine 6 pack cellared at 15 degrees C since purchase so no fault at my end.
If anyone has had one of these of late, would appreciate your thoughts.

But, a 1990 E&E Black Pepper Magnum...what a star! Has that classic blue nib tannin structure and fruit that went on for ages...2014 was fairly quiet for me in highlights, but this was right up there.

Cheers to all for 2015...and plan to maintain the rage..cause I can 8)

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Having a break in the Hunter with a few bottles ...

2006 A. Margaine Champagne Blanc de Blancs Special Club - Crisp and fresh, this 100% Chardonnay based Special Club is sublime. Loads of citrus and apple on a creamy palate, a refreshing style with a lovely backbone of minerality. A champagne that just wants you to drink it! Very enjoyable now but will probably get better in a few more years. For the bargain price of 22 Euros at cellar door ... beautiful! Matched well with BBQ King Prawns and Morten Bay Bugs!

2013 Rockford Black Shiraz - Soft and smooth, this is a very elegant release. Plenty of raisins on the palate with a touch of savoury, herbal notes in the background. The finish is long and wonderfully balanced. It is very good now but I am sure will get better with some bottle age. Won't be trying another bottle for at least 3-5 years.

2012 Gaelic Cemetery Vineyard Riesling - If you want a bottle of 2012 Riesling to convince you that this was a good vintage in Clare Valley, then grab a bottle of this! Wonderfully smooth and succulent, this is mind-blowing good Clare Valley Riesling. Bone dry, refreshing with a lemon/lime backbone finishing with long chalky, minerally acidic finish. GW sums it up nicely with his review on Winefront ... "just so clean and straight with its glacial freshness that it’s immediately impressive". With a drinking window till 2032 it is scary to think how good this can get!

1995 Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia - Deep garnet in colour. Soft and subtle aged Super Tuscan. Fruit is fading but still a very classy, balanced wine. Drunk over 4 hours, the wine showed savoury flavours of cassis, earth, tea and leather. Definitely peaked, this won't get any better. Although a treat, for the price a bit simple and lacking complexity. A drink now proposition.
Cheers
AJ

Rory

Post by Rory »

1996 Taylors Riesling A little yellowed in colour had me a tad concerned, as it has been perfectly cellared, but it was under cork.
The nose was a typilcaly lovely aged honey for its colour. The palate however was very much alive, long, rich with a great spine of acid keeping everything lively.

2011 Livio Feluga Friulano Under screwcap. Tight mineral nose, and reserved smooth palate that took about an hour to unwind itself and open up. Unctuous, flavoursome and thoroughly enjoyable once it had breathed. A white that responds well to a decant.

2004 Arras Grand Vintage. Ed Carr is a legend.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

The Mascarello, despite being one of the great wines of the world in 1990, was in a fickle nebbiolo mood. Great but not grand despite good provenance.

Di Gresy makes superb Barbaresco from the monopole of Martinenga ( not far from Barbaresco town ); wedged between the great vineyard sites of Asili and Rabaja. Gaiun is more international in style with smaller barriques and the 95 is in a plush style and holding with gritty tannins in support. I bought 10K of these old wines ex Chateau but the corks don't look great and I'd question cellar storage. I'm putting on a wine dinner at the end of the month with the winemaker in tow so will report further.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

conformistpete

Post by conformistpete »

2013 Mauri Veglio Langhe Nebbiolo Angelo Great little wine after lots of bubbles and whites for the holiday period and finally a cooler Melbourne evening. Quite dark and accessible with a bunch of fruit initially and then opening up to rose petals and rosemary by the last glass... wish it was a larger bottle or perhaps we drank it too quickly.

Didn't notice the tannins till the pork cotelette was finished and the acid held up against the tomato based sauce.

Bindi Macedon Cuvee III a sparkling wine no longer made by Bindi. It is chilling in the fridge to have with roast spatchcock. Looking forward to tasting this as it has spent 16 years on lees and is from vintages in the 90's

toofastdriving

Post by toofastdriving »

2005 Marqués de Riscal Rioja Baron de Chirel Reserva
Amazing. Such a great feeling to drink and great length. Can be a bit tricky finding the 'sweet spot' in the decanter but well worth the effort. One of the few 'wine moments' I've experienced. Drank with various cheeses in the afternoon and finally mushroom risotto. Highly recommended, wish I had more.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

The Food City near where we were staying in Kandy only had Banrock Station and Rothbury Estate (which was Chardonnay and my partner doesn't like that). Not sure it is moving that well as it is the 2013. Mind you the Three Coins Lager 100% Sri Lankan Owned!!! was pretty good.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

Few wines from tonights (err... last nights?) dinner. Just quick notes.

1996 Penfolds Bin 389 Cab Shiraz - Dark crimson red, no bricking. Cork was perfect, however wine was showing its age. Developed dark fruits, earth, olives, typical 389 up front. Secondary going on tertiary characteristics dominant. Back palate was a tad underwhelming, though, with the finish being medium-short in length. I'm probably being harsh, but expectations were high. It was an enjoyable wine, no doubt, however I'm glad this was opened now. Cellared in very good conditions since release.

2009 Geyer Brothers Grenache - Blew the 389 out of the water. Rich, red fruits on the nose and palate with tons of depth of flavour. Young, this is a long term wine. Just starting to develop secondary notes. Fine but grippy tannins giving great structure. Finish was good. Big, juicy Barossa Grenache, with enough restrain and delicate structure to be elegant at the same time. So annoyed I only bought one bottle, only 80 dozen produced. Superb, buy it if you can find it.

2010 Kurtz Family Boundary Road Shiraz - Quickly tasted. Juicy, well balanced Barossa Shiraz. Had been opened the previous night, was drinking well but it'd be interesting to see if the tannin/acid/fruit balance was there upon opening. Worth the price tag ($20).

NV Stanton & Killeen Classic Topaque - 12 years average age. Nice wine, others enjoyed it. Honey, raisins, malt but still keeping a relatively light and 'fresh' palate (for a Topaque, that is). Alcohol was sticking out a bit too much for me and ruined the back palate, but for others it wasn't an issue. A shame, as aside from the alcohol its a well made and well balanced wine.