2001 HIGHBANK Basket Pressed Coonawarra

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Attila

2001 HIGHBANK Basket Pressed Coonawarra

Post by Attila »

Tasting Note No.46

Highbank is a brand new label to me. A remarkable encounter with this wine last night inspired me to write this note today. This is a typical and authentic Coonawarra blend of Cabernet sauvignon 70%, Merlot 25% and Cabernet Franc 5%. Grapes grown ad processed under near organic conditions, the grapes were basket pressed and the wine was matured in high quality French oak. Alc.13.0% vol.

Colour dark cherry red, te centre is still inky and very dark. The nose is reserved with red berries, raspberries, cherry and spicy plum. The palate is a STUNNING surprise. Masses of rich fruit sitting in PERFECT harmony with the oak. Impeccably balanced, this is a grand wine and it is definitely among the very best Coonawarra's I've ever tasted. Very approachable even now, full and satisfying, this wine is a joy to drink. The finish is long and savoury, this Coonawarra will be at it's peak in 12 years time. I believe it cost around AU $60, if so then it is a bargain as this wine in my view is at Bordeaux 2nd growth level. Faultless, perfect, superb.
I've really enjoyed it.
As I've drunk this wine in the company of Auswine forumites David Lole, Adair and TORB, I'd be interested to read their (no doubt) upcoming reviews.
Cheers,
Attila

Tasted:August 2004
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

Scoobinski

Post by Scoobinski »

Very successful wine - winning various awards in the UK. Parker has compared Highbank to Leoville Las Cases - a glowing compliment if you've ever heard one!

Post by Guest »

Highbank have been quietly making this standard of wine almost unrecognised by the wine community. The 2001 is great wine by any standard, what top class Coonawarra should be.

Saw it mispriced at Quaffers (Coles) in Adelaide at $34 so bought every case they had. That's what they get for employing check out chicks instead of knowledgable staff.

Cheers - 707

Post by Guest »

Notice in the notes from your dinner that this wine is referred to as the "Reserve" Cabernet which it is not. The "Reserve" is a blend of barrels from a wide range of places and done as an experiment of oak. The front label has "Reserve Cabernet" in black lettering at the bottom.

Your single posting on the Highbank correctly titles the wine, from your picture of the label it is the Highbank Basket Pressed Coonawarra Cabernet, and a blinder it is too! A sublime Coonawarra Cabernet, well done to Dennis Vice the affable owner.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

$34 is a reasonable price, but it's hardly grossly mispriced. This isn't the same as the $100 reserve.

I've only had the 97 Coonawarra and it was sublime.

JO has rated most vintages of Highbank Coonawarra highly (over 18), the exceptions being 99 and 00.

Kieran

Attila

Post by Attila »

Dear Guest,
I Thank You for bringing it to my attention that Adair listed the basket pressed as "Reserve". Yes, the reserve is a completely different wine from Highbank and no doubt Adair will correct that mistake in his "The Disaster" (Which wasn't a great disaster after all!) write up.
Cheers,
Attila
Ps: Kieran, your avatar is a blast. (Every time I see it, it makes me smile)
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

David Lole

Post by David Lole »

Attila,

This most excellent/outstanding wine certainly delivered the goods. As you say, this is very drinkable now, although I have my doubts whether it will make (really) old bones. I agree about your comments on the impeccable balance and, in particular, greatly enjoyed the chocolatey richness to the red/black fruits and the sensitive use of seasoned French oak. Will be interesting to see how it fares with more time under its belt.

Highbank 'Coonawarra' Cabernet blend

Post by Guest »

East End Cellars Adelaide have the excellent and rare 1998 version of this for a mere $50 !! Hook in.
I've had 2 doz. since release and when it finally reaches its still-distant window my 22 remaining bottles will be superb and IMHO surpass any cabernet-dominant wine in my cellar, including the 1990 707.
Cheers
Geoff G

markg

Post by markg »

Attila, Your posting empowered me and I just had to try one - Steve kindly provided a bottle and I drank it last night with dinner and it is just wonderful, your description fits it to a T - Thanks for the heads up on this wine - Its a pearler.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

markg

Post by markg »

Does anyone have any recent notes of the 1998. Picked up 11 bottles from Oddbins for the princely sum of $27 each and am wondering if they are closed down at the moment ?
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

Post by 707 »

Mark, I can assist.

Open a bottle around 4pm tomorrow.

Check it's sound.

Put it in a carry bag at 5-30pm.

Get a heap of sexperts to give you an opinion on it over dinner at The Sauce!

Thank Steve for such a sensible suggestion.

There's one of your bottle dilemmas for tomorrow night sorted.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

markg

Post by markg »

707 wrote:Mark, I can assist.

Open a bottle around 4pm tomorrow.

Check it's sound.

Put it in a carry bag at 5-30pm.

Get a heap of sexperts to give you an opinion on it over dinner at The Sauce!

Thank Steve for such a sensible suggestion.

There's one of your bottle dilemmas for tomorrow night sorted.

Oh, ok Steve, should I leave behind the Roenfeldt Road or the Noon Reserve while I bring this along hmmm.. I can only fit two bottles in my carry bag, see.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman