suggestions

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Gavin Trott

suggestions

Post by Gavin Trott »

Hello

A question to the wine knowledgable.

I have a customer seeking some of our best Shiraz. However, he really like the super charged wine styles, think Blass Black label, Liebich the darkie, Noons.

Think super ripe, super charged, what some would describe as over the top.

I'd like to hear your suggestions, which wines do you think, in this style, whether its your style or not, are really really good??
regards

Gavin Trott

DJ

Post by DJ »

For value for money how about the Marius - so far it has been easier to get than the others too
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Wynns Michael. (Got to be great with such a name.)
Kays Block 6.
PL Meshach.
Veritas Hanisch.
Just a few for starters.
MM.

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Greenock Creek Alice's and Apricot Block immediately spring to mind; both are very big wines and represent excellent value when near the CD prices. I refer to the 2001 and 2000 vintages, respectively.
Victoria has great wines to offer in the category, too, think Heathcote! Or for something different, don't forget the biggest Rutherglen Durifs, the Calliope Shiraz must come close too? For balance ( don't laugh, kids ) try a good vintage of WDC Springflat?
Amon-Ra is expensive, but again offers refinement along with the power factor. The Serpico isn't Shiraz, but is huge. Any of the Mitolo wines are worth a look?
I second the Meshach suggestion; although besides the power, it's in an entirely different class in my opinion. I can't see the wonderful Michael fitting in, maybe too refined and 'sophisticated' even?
Fox Creek 'The Sparky Years' would match too, but alas no more :cry:

KMP

Post by KMP »

This person's name isn't Parker is it?

graham

Post by graham »

The 2001 Dead Arm certainly comes to mind. Finding it is a different matter.
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

The Wild Duck Creek Reserve wines (the 00 Shiraz is pure and sweet Darrell Lea black liquorice - YUM!), also some Mr Riggs, Barnadown Run Voluptuary, Killibinbin shiraz, Henry's Drive, Rusden Black Guts, Kurtz Lunar Block ....as others suggested - Noon, Mitolo, Two Hands, Greenock Creek.
Last edited by Baby Chickpea on Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Davo

Post by Davo »

Surprised no one has mentioned the Rockford BP.

Oh hell, I just did

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

KMP wrote:This person's name isn't Parker is it?

No

But that's very much the style!
regards

Gavin Trott

Blake

Post by Blake »

Surely Elderton's Command Shiraz is a walk up start ...

Post by Guest »

Davo wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned the Rockford BP.

Oh hell, I just did

Rockford BP is nothing like a blockbuster.

David M.

Post by David M. »

I found the Winter Creek 2002 Shiraz very much in that style. A real glass stainer.

cheers,

David M.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

How about a Warrabilla durif or a Buller Calliope Shiraz?

Kieran

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

Anonymous wrote:Rockford BP is nothing like a blockbuster.

And is sold out at cellar door.

-- George Krashos

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

George Krashos wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Rockford BP is nothing like a blockbuster.

And is sold out at cellar door.

-- George Krashos

Well, that's nothing new.

Kieran

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Kieran mentioned Warrabilla Durif, but you are talking about Shiraz, sooooo 2002 Warrabilla Reserve Shiraz, Parola Shiraz and Shiraz Durif. I do not think you will find bigger.
Mike.

Martin C

Post by Martin C »

Any Sparky Marquis wines. YUM!

Post by Guest »

or Dave Anderson's WILD DUCK CREEK :wink:

Davo

Post by Davo »

Anonymous wrote:

Oh hell, I just did

Strange that. At my last tasting of the 96 BP it made all the other wines at the table taste like fruit juice, including the HOG, Grange, Stonewell, and others of the same ilk. Not quite, but it certainly was [size=18]"BIG"[/size] in this company and would fit my definition of a blockbuster.

And yes, I have had most of the other wines mentioned here, before you get too carried away.

KMP

Post by KMP »

Gavin Trott wrote:
KMP wrote:This person's name isn't Parker is it?

No

But that's very much the style!

Then its probably best to go to the source! I don't get The Wine Advocate but I believe that The Australian Report section will come out in October or sometime like that. Or for the price of a decent bottle of wine you can sign up for a 30 day period to the on-line service and do a Vintage Search. I actually went against what I thought was my better judgment and did this last week because I wanted to see how he was going to score a couple of wines I'm interested in, and I've been surprised by the wealth of information that is in there. The guy does taste a LOT of wine. I don't agree with his palate in many ways so it hasn't hurt my buying that much. (He's never going to give St Henri 95+ points.)

As a very rough search I went through the Vintage Guide for shiraz that scored 90-100 points and he has 513 90-95pts and 78 96-100pts. (As of December 2003.) It breaks down

NSW 8
SA 516
SouthEast 3
VIC 49
WA 13
Unclassif 2

Vintages go from 1953 (1 wine) to 2002 (37 wines). So I took the 2001 and 2002 as they are probably still available - 152 wines! Too many.

Back to the 78 96-100pt wines.

SA 74
VIC 3
WA 1

Vintages 1971 (1 wine) to 2002 (5 wines ). So I took 2001 and 2002 19 wines. That's managable. The list - Amon-Ra, D'Arenberg Dead Arm, Barossa Old Vine, Jim Barry The Armagh, Barton Vale The Challenger, Battely Shiaz, Clarendon Hills Astralis ('01 and '02), Clarendon Hills Piggot Range, Henry's Drive Reserve, Kaesler Old Bastard, Kay Bros Block 6, Marquis Philips 9 ('01 and '02) and Integrity ('01 and '02), Noon Reserve, and Shirvington ('01 and '02).

I doubt I can post his tasting notes as that probably is some sort of copyright. Even the above may be - who knows!! :oops: Hope it is of some help?

Mike
Last edited by KMP on Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

markg

Post by markg »

Baby Chickpea wrote:...sweet Darrell Lea black liquorice .

Oh yeah... yummo !! I can eat a $5 bag of this in one sitting while my wife eats a $5 block of their rocky road ....
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

KMP

Post by KMP »

markg wrote:
Baby Chickpea wrote:...sweet Darrell Lea black liquorice .

Oh yeah... yummo !! I can eat a $5 bag of this in one sitting while my wife eats a $5 block of their rocky road ....

Some of us are lucky enough to have relatives who own a shop and have done since I was a teenager - which is a long time ago! I can say that once its free some of the stuff gets pretty old, but even 10,000 miles away the liquorice calls my name. We always bring back a bag or three!!

Mike

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Davo wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Oh hell, I just did

Strange that. At my last tasting of the 96 BP it made all the other wines at the table taste like fruit juice, including the HOG, Grange, Stonewell, and others of the same ilk. Not quite, but it certainly was [size=18]"BIG"[/size] in this company and would fit my definition of a blockbuster.

And yes, I have had most of the other wines mentioned here, before you get too carried away.

Davo, I'm with you on this one. I might not have been, but then last night I lined up the 2002 St Hallett Blackwell, 2001 Tim Adams Aberfeldy and 2000 Greenock Creek Apricot Block; for drinking, rather than just tasting :D in that order. I came back to each wine several times. As I expected, the Blackwell was outclassed, though it really is a very good drop at the price. I had also expected the Aberfeldy to show well for its class and complexity, against the power of the Apricot Block. It did that, but it also showed even more weight and power, making the Apricot Block seem a little timid in comparison :shock: That I never would have thought; I mean, the Apricot Block has shown itself to be pretty damn 'big' in past tastings. Now, not that the Apricot Block is severely unbalanced, but is it maybe a case with some of these 'blockbusters' that the lack of balance and coherence makes for a perception of more weight and power than there really is? :?

Scoobinski

Post by Scoobinski »

Something unmentioned as yet is the Tait winery. For some reason the Shiraz actually packs a bigger punch than the renowned BallBuster... but needless to say both are KO material - affordable too ($15-25) at Cellar door.