Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rossco

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Rossco »

2004 Arras grand vintage

2010 Torbreck the pict mataro.

N/V primo estate Joseph sparkling red

2008 De Bortoli noble one.

Great night.

Redav

Post by Redav »

After cooking a 2008 Metala White Label Shiraz Cabernet in the car while camping last week, I thought I'd try another one this weekend but while camping I also tried a Mollydooker Blue Eyed Boy. Both tasted okay to start with but then I found both to be way to alcoholic. Each to their own but I don't know how anyone can drink this sort of stuff and like it. I've read others review them as balanced but I cannot agree. Maybe they'd have been better after a decant and cooling them to 18 degrees? I don't know and I'm not interested in finding out.

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

Rossco wrote:2004 Arras grand vintage

2010 Torbreck the pict mataro.

N/V primo estate Joseph sparkling red

2008 De Bortoli noble one.

Great night.

How was the noble one? I have a bottle of 2008 and am curious to its development

Matt

Post by Matt »

Redav wrote:After cooking a 2008 Metala White Label Shiraz Cabernet in the car while camping last week, I thought I'd try another one this weekend but while camping I also tried a Mollydooker Blue Eyed Boy. Both tasted okay to start with but then I found both to be way to alcoholic. Each to their own but I don't know how anyone can drink this sort of stuff and like it. I've read others review them as balanced but I cannot agree. Maybe they'd have been better after a decant and cooling them to 18 degrees? I don't know and I'm not interested in finding out.

I found the 2012 didnt live up to the hype for me either. A huge alcoholic bomb.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

catchnrelease wrote:
How was the noble one? I have a bottle of 2008 and am curious to its development

Depends on how you like your stickies. For me It was in a really good place. It was a half bottle under screwcap.

Really nice balance between acid and sweetness at the moment....almost perfect balance actually. Wasn't sickly sweet, lovely apricot nose and silky mouthfeel. i will track down some more, thats for sure

daz

Post by daz »

Ferngrove Frankland River Orchid Series Dragon Shiraz 2011. I threw in the Orchid Series because the Dragon orchid is depicted on the label and the Orchid Series is Ferngove's premium label though there is a step up in best vintages. Anyway, the palate has plenty of black fruits, integrated cedar oak with a funky character, well-balanced acid that contributes to the extension of the finish by the rounded drying tannins.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Came home late yesterday evening and feeling peckish my partner made an omelette with mushrooms and shredded chicken. I thought an '08 Bethany Old Vine Grenache might be the perfect accompaniment but alas it was not the combination that let us down but rather the wine itself.

For an old vine Grenache it seemed to lack a lot of everything - it was light, simple, and lacked character. The back labels says it's meant for drinking young and I guess they meant it. Far too simple and lackluster for me - a disappointment.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

maybs wrote:2004 Pewsey Vale Contours Riesling. Very nice. Reminded me how ridiculously good value riesling generally is. Please huddled masses, maintain your disdain for this glorious grape.

This is an excellent wine for the price and age... I really liked it.

maybs

Post by maybs »

Mike Hawkins wrote:
maybs wrote:2004 Pewsey Vale Contours Riesling. Very nice. Reminded me how ridiculously good value riesling generally is. Please huddled masses, maintain your disdain for this glorious grape.

This is an excellent wine for the price and age... I really liked it.

Yeah I really enjoyed it. Thinking of grabbing another half dozen to drink now while the cellar gets some age on it. I get no resistance either as the wife loves riesling.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Redav wrote:After cooking a 2008 Metala White Label Shiraz Cabernet in the car while camping last week, I thought I'd try another one this weekend but while camping I also tried a Mollydooker Blue Eyed Boy. Both tasted okay to start with but then I found both to be way to alcoholic. Each to their own but I don't know how anyone can drink this sort of stuff and like it. I've read others review them as balanced but I cannot agree. Maybe they'd have been better after a decant and cooling them to 18 degrees? I don't know and I'm not interested in finding out.

The Mollydooker or the Metala?
I have an unabashed view of Metala, got another dozen of the 2012 on the back of its standing in the Great Australian Red Challenge tasting here in Adelaide last week. It more than held its own against wines 4 times the price and was well received by Tyson Stelzer and Matthew Jukes ( will report on this tasting in the future, tried 40 plus of these, but work frantic at present).

Can't speak for the Mollydooker.

If the wines were cooked then well... but just love the wine...as do a heap others here apparently.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Redav

Post by Redav »

phillisc wrote:The Mollydooker or the Metala?

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I could have been. We cooked one Metala in the car while camping so we opened a Mollydooker which hadn't been in a car. I then picked up another Metala the following weekend to try again. I found both wines to be too alcoholic. The Metala's 15% and I think the Mollydooker was 16%? Anyway, happy to have tried them even if it was to discover that it's not my thing.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Redav wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I could have been. We cooked one Metala in the car while camping so we opened a Mollydooker which hadn't been in a car. I then picked up another Metala the following weekend to try again. I found both wines to be too alcoholic. The Metala's 15% and I think the Mollydooker was 16%? Anyway, happy to have tried them even if it was to discover that it's not my thing.

My goodness, 15% and 16%, those levels of alcohol on a label would be enough to disqualify them from my consideration. I'm surprised that the Metala is 15% considering that I was under the impression it was one of the old standard bearers of the traditional Australian Shiraz-Cabernet. I would think it will be bucking the trend, thankfully, towards lower alcohol wines.

Of course I never buy Mollydooker wines whatever the price.

Mahmoud

felixp

Post by felixp »

came down to Oz for a long weekend golfing, eating and drinking with 10 mates, annual event at Royal Mansfield.
Highlights were definitely not the golf scores!!!

as for about 50 different wines, these are the highlights:

1991 E&E Black Pepper Shiraz magnum (unanimous wine of the weekend) :D :D
1986 St Henri (still too young!!!!!)
1986 Penfolds "Grange" shiraz magnum (my number three of the weekend)
1991 Jim Barry " Armagh" magnum
2005 Glaetzer "Amon Ra" shiraz (my runner-up of the weekend, almost everyone else had this 3rd and the Grange second)
1996 Henschke "Hill of Grace" shiraz
1986 Wolf Blass Black label magnum (my number four)
2006 Leeuwin Estate "Art series" chardonnay magnum
1991 Bailey's "Winemaker's reserve" shiraz (red label)

all of the above wines were sensational, and would have scored 95 or above if I were actually scoring them.
of course there are low-lights, these are the wines no-one liked

2003 Noon's Reserve shiraz tasted like a strange port, half of two bottles left over and down the sink
1999 Penfolds Bin 389 would have thought it corked, but two bottles exactly the same. Furniture polish, bleh :(
2010 Clos St Jean CNDP I discovered you cannot drink young CNDP with old Australian premium shiraz!!!
1992 Penfold's "Grange" shiraz another bottles of a decidedly pedestrian vintage. Should have cost $20
1998 Henschke "Mt Edelstone" shiraz. Again... brett city. Thankfully, my last two bottles. Both left half full

Great long weekend, thankfully, I am now back in China where my liver can recover!!!! :D

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Redav wrote:

I'm looking at a bottle of 2012 Metala while label cab shiraz and it's 14.0%, so maybe it was a victim of the 08 heatwave if it was 15%

I'm really enjoying the 2012 vintage as a good everydayer. For $12.50 (or thereabouts) you can't really go wrong.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

felixp wrote:1991 E&E Black Pepper Shiraz magnum (unanimous wine of the weekend) :D :D
2005 Glaetzer "Amon Ra" shiraz (my runner-up of the weekend, almost everyone else had this 3rd and the Grange second)

1999 Penfolds Bin 389 would have thought it corked, but two bottles exactly the same. Furniture polish, bleh :(
1998 Henschke "Mt Edelstone" shiraz. Again... brett city. Thankfully, my last two bottles. Both left half full

I've had all those above... most multiple times and tend to agree with your sentiments..

Love the 86 St Henri - the wine that got me hooked. My bottles are drinking really well still, those its interesting that in the last 2 editions of Rewards of Patience, its not listed as one of the best St Henris.
Back in the days when I was enamoured with oak, I drank the 86 Black Label like it was water. I wished I had the sense to cellar some.

As for the two duds... I agree wholeheartedly. I think Penfolds dropped the ball in 1999 across the board compared to others. And despite being a massive fan of ME, I dislike 98 - 01 due to the brett issue.

WinePupil

Post by WinePupil »

Currently in the decanter is a 2011 Penfolds Bin 2, from the chilled bottle it was alright, but when it became warmer, all i could taste was the utter bitterness that overpowered the entire glass. Im going to try decanting it for 3 hours to see how it goes :P

timmspe

Post by timmspe »

2010 Yelland and Papps Devote Old Vine Grenache. Amazingly good. I wish I had more. I will be keeping a close eye out for more of these.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

felixp wrote:came down to Oz for a long weekend golfing, eating and drinking with 10 mates, annual event at Royal Mansfield.
Highlights were definitely not the golf scores!!!

as for about 50 different wines, these are the highlights:

1991 Bailey's "Winemaker's reserve" shiraz (red label)

all of the above wines were sensational, and would have scored 95 or above if I were actually scoring them.
of course there are low-lights, these are the wines no-one liked

2003 Noon's Reserve shiraz tasted like a strange port, half of two bottles left over and down the sink
2010 Clos St Jean CNDP I discovered you cannot drink young CNDP with old Australian premium shiraz!!!
1992 Penfold's "Grange" shiraz another bottles of a decidedly pedestrian vintage. Should have cost $20

Great long weekend, thankfully, I am now back in China where my liver can recover!!!! :D

Thanks Felix - WOW what a lineup of fantastic wines. What was of interest to me was the Amon Ra. I have a token collection of Icon wines, with this being one of them, however I am always interested on when the best time to enjoy them. With your notes (along with other contributions) it points me in the right direction.
On more humbler notes:
2006 Thorn Clarke Shotfire Ridge Shiraz Full Bodied, dark imprentable color, liquorice, dark fruits - lacking elegance and finesse, however for an under $20 a wine that has plenty of life in it yet. Needs a decent decant of a couple of hours.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

2010 langmeil blacksmith cab sav. I'm really loving barossa cabernet at the moment. This is great straight out of the bottle, no decanting, really Juicy, great balance not a lot of tannins But really smooth. Drinking nicely now, the other 4 I have won't last long. but having said that, not sure it was built to last anyway. Maybe another 5 - 10 years.

felixp

Post by felixp »

thanks Phil.
no hurry to drink the Amon Ra 05. It is a sensational wine. Amon Ra is one of the few Oz wines I still buy every year, perhaps 05 now my favourite. 05 is turning out to be a cracker in the Barossa, although I do note that this particular vintage of 05 is not without it's detractors.
As we had either two bottles of each, or a solitary magnum, the wines were not blind. Personally, I believe this may have helped the popularity of both the two vintages of Grange (although, as usual, the 92 was ordinary, label or not) and the HOG.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

2006 Annies Lane Coppertrail Shiraz - premium Clare fruit, massive dark black brooding concoction. Next time I'll decant it for 6 or 7 hours prior to sipping but couldn't help myself. Just got better and better, more aromatic and elegant. An exercise in puckering tannins, sweet black fruit and long lingering after taste.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

rooman

Post by rooman »

felixp wrote:

:D

I've got some of the 2002 but so far haven't really enjoyed it.I wonder if I have simply started opening the bottles too early. Anyone else tried the 2002?

Mark

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

I'm lucky enough to enjoying the delights of Hamilton Island this week an most of what is on offer is from the Oatley stables (they own the place) so I have little option but to drink their wine. Best so far is their 2013 Margaret River Chardonnay. The family has gone through quite a few bottles of that! No complaint from me :)
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Hacker wrote:I'm lucky enough to enjoying the delights of Hamilton Island this week an most of what is on offer is from the Oatley stables (they own the place) so I have little option but to drink their wine. Best so far is their 2013 Margaret River Chardonnay. The family has gone through quite a few bottles of that! No complaint from me :)

Sounds like bliss!
Shame you and LA aren't around tomorrow night, we will toast your absence and promise to leave your favourite local venue in reasonable shape for your return :mrgreen:

Cheers to you and all the Hacker clan, see you back in Sydney soon mate.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

2011 Apsley Gorge Chardonnay (Tasmania)

More advanced golden colour than I expected. Wine was in good shape although needed a chill to show its best.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

rooman wrote:
felixp wrote:

I've got some of the 2002 but so far haven't really enjoyed it.I wonder if I have simply started opening the bottles too early. Anyone else tried the 2002?

Mark

Mark,

Tried a bottle of this a few months back and like you was not overly impressed by it so I have sent the remaining bottles to auction. Not sure it is an opening early issue as this wine just did not excite me in any way and did not give any impression that it would improve with more time. Bland and boring according to my notes.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Michael R wrote:Shame you and LA aren't around tomorrow night, we will toast your absence and promise to leave your favourite local venue in reasonable shape for your return

Thanks Michael, pass on my best to the guys and gals, am sad to miss the night - it will be huge! I think the bottle to person ratio is at least 2/1, some sore heads on Saturday.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Quick Xmas party warmup last night. Drinking some good stuff with fun company. A few good laughs and some fascinating wines.

Meerea Park Terracotta Semillon 2003 - Travelling well, in a good place, tasty classic semillon showing some tertiary development, plenty more years left though.
Trimbach Cuvée Frédéric Emile Riesling 2005 - Still a bit tight and youthful, but starting to emerge nicely. Classy, but I'd leave a few more years ideally.
Tissot Singulier Trousseau 2011 - Interesting nose, some nice grippy gamay/pinot-esque complexity going on, perhaps a touch short but a great food/lunch wine.
Hillcrest Premium Pinot Noir 2004 - Really impressive! Cloudy look, forest floor, mushrooms and earth. Fruit still powerful, but well integrated. Made by Philip Jones so perhaps not surprising how good it is. Lots of character and aged interest.,
Paul Jaboulet Aîné La Chapelle Hermitage 1998 - Wow, so pure and focused. Powerful, yet light on it's feet and almost medium bodied. Rocking wine, Cheers Len!
Chateau de Jurque Jurançon Tendresse 2007 - Weird nose of yeast, flour, pizza dough. Quite nice to drink, very unusual which got a lot of discussion. Some powdery jersey caramel, mint and a few other descriptors which elude me today. Would like to try it or something else in this style from the region again. (Blend of Petite Manseng and Gros Manseng)

Good primer, now bring on the Grape Mates Xmas festivities tonight! 20 Magnums of goodness.... :D

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Andrew Jordan wrote:
rooman wrote:
felixp wrote:

Mark

Mark,

Tried a bottle of this a few months back and like you was not overly impressed by it so I have sent the remaining bottles to auction. Not sure it is an opening early issue as this wine just did not excite me in any way and did not give any impression that it would improve with more time. Bland and boring according to my notes.

I'd agree - used to collect these wines in the 90's and generally they were stunning but haven't really liked the later versions. They changed winemaker and style many years ago - shame
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

tj2

Post by tj2 »

NV Veuve Fourny et Fils Cuvee "R" - Classy, beautifully balanced mix of clean chardonnay driven freshness and slowly revealing complexity - so drinkable I probably missed some of the nuance that would evolve over time in the glass. This often happens to me on Fridays.

2012 La Prova Lagrein - tried first in a Riedel Magnum and then later in a Zalto Universal - beautiful vibrant colour, big hit of purple fruit on opening, mulberry, prune, lavender and dried herbs, nice weight and softness on the mid palate, and an elegant tannin structure revealed itself over time. Both interesting and enjoyable. Hard to tell if the glassware made a difference - the wine seemed less aromatic and more structured in the Zalto, but this may have just been its evolution after a couple of hours of oxygen exposure.