Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
The fish

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by The fish »

Sounds good - talk when you get home.

Cheers
Matt

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

2001 Voyager Cab Merlot. Perfect cork, wine just not right though. Hints of where it should be at, but an acid streak ruins the structure. Not sure what to make of it. A bit Jekyll and Hyde.

Update...just got more acidic later into the night. :|
Last edited by Hacker on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

rossmckay wrote:
The fish wrote:
Last night was a big one as our last in Beaune

A memorable night

Glad to hear that you're making the most of it.

Clearly you've upped your game and the only way to maintain your now high standards is to bring more wines similar to those you've been consuming to our dinners when you get home to Canberra.:D

Cheers
Matt

Well, that would be nice :D.

BTW, I've decided it's time to either piss or get off the pot so my enrolment in the WSET diploma goes in next week. Want to do some wines of the world structured tastings on a regular basis?

Sounds good to me!

It was 11 years ago, but I'm sure a bit of my Diploma knowledge is still up there somewhere. :-)

Cheers, Travis.

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

Hacker wrote:2001 Voyager Cab Merlot. Perfect cork, wine just not right though. Hints of where it should be at, but an acid streak ruins the structure. Not sure what to make of it. A bit Jekyll and Hyde.

I had one of these recently and experienced the same problem - just not quite right. That was the vintage before they went to screw cap and supposedly one of their best too. Such a shame- not a common wine to replace.

rossmckay

Post by rossmckay »

TravisW wrote:Sounds good to me!

It was 11 years ago, but I'm sure a bit of my Diploma knowledge is still up there somewhere. :-)

Cheers, Travis.

Beauty, that sounds like a quorum
http://vinsiders.com.au

ads_11

Post by ads_11 »

Bugger the whites, I will stick to what my palate enjoys ;-)

2012 Luke Lambert Nebbiolo - Oooh yeah, what an absolute cracker. A little herby with raspberries in the mix. Good tannin with a looong finish. I think I am going to have to get a couple more of these as I don't think the 3 I have left are going to last. Really enjoyed this.

2005 Saltram No1 - Dark red with a slight must smell initially but this blew off to reveal a little fruit. Lots of sediment, Not too bad at all. Went well with my surf and turf!

tarija

Post by tarija »

ads_11 wrote:2012 Luke Lambert Nebbiolo - Oooh yeah, what an absolute cracker. A little herby with raspberries in the mix. Good tannin with a looong finish. I think I am going to have to get a couple more of these as I don't think the 3 I have left are going to last. Really enjoyed this.

I have only tried Luke Lambert's at release, but I recall that the silky texture and medium body on the shiraz and nebbiolo were very striking - elegant. How was the texture on this one?

ads_11

Post by ads_11 »

tarija wrote:
ads_11 wrote:2012 Luke Lambert Nebbiolo - Oooh yeah, what an absolute cracker. A little herby with raspberries in the mix. Good tannin with a looong finish. I think I am going to have to get a couple more of these as I don't think the 3 I have left are going to last. Really enjoyed this.

I have only tried Luke Lambert's at release, but I recall that the silky texture and medium body on the shiraz and nebbiolo were very striking - elegant. How was the texture on this one?

You nailed it there with that description. It just slid down my throat effortlessly, with the aftertaste just hanging on for an age. Really, very good..

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

ads_11 wrote:
tarija wrote:

You nailed it there with that description. It just slid down my throat effortlessly, with the aftertaste just hanging on for an age. Really, very good..

+1. I absolutely loved this wine. First Aussie Neb I've had that I really enjoyed. Needs a few years in the cellar though to settle down those monster tannins.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Parker Estate, Terra Rossa First Growth 1999.

Tight and only just coming out of its primary phase. Could have done with an hour in the decanter instead of popped and poured. Cork was perfect. Tea, cedar and all the rest. Acid on this bottle is a bit better than the last. Noice!

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Redav

Post by Redav »

ads_11 wrote:2005 Saltram No1 - Dark red with a slight must smell initially but this blew off to reveal a little fruit. Lots of sediment, Not too bad at all. Went well with my surf and turf!

Interesting to read. I have one sitting here too which I think I'll crack next year.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

2009 Fourrier Gevrey VV - after an aggressive shake to remove built up CO2 the wine revealed a plush velvety rich dark flavoured treat. Oh so good. Years left in this. Also a Selosse Initial, disgorged in 03/09 to celebrate a daughter's new job. Broad and yeasty, typically oxidative, so different to most other champagnes.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Rossco wrote:I really hope I was having a bad palate day and didn't give this enough
Attention or it was a bad (screwcap) bottle.

Maybe it was me not knowing what to expect and a bit of ignorance, dont know.

Rossco

Don't forget this is grown according to biodynamic principles. The moon was definitely in the wrong quadrant for Cabernet, with 'The West' on the descendant rather than the ascendant. The current king tides in Mongolia mean you probably should have gone for an Adelaide Hills Syrah (hence the JWT victory for SC Pannell).

Drink holistically, man.

Cheers

Michael

PS (Yes I know Mongolia is landlocked, I mean lake tides)
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

rens wrote:To celebrate my wife putting up with me for 9 years we had dinner at 85 Miskin Street which most Brisbane fomites know as Brent's. Brent is still the owner and chef. As expected the meal and service were as good as always. Always a treat especially when you can BYO.
So to the wine. 1996 Wynn's John Riddoch From a great cellar where it's been sitting since release, this was very closed when I pulled the cork at 4pm. It sat in the decanter until 7 when we left for dinner. It had another decant on arrival at the restaurant and sat for 20 minutes whilst we enjoyed a couple of glasses of Moet. When the wait staff poured it I could smell it as it hit the bottom of the glass. It had a very heady nose that reminded me of Penfolds Grange of the same vintage. The palate had great fruit, epic balance and silky tannins with the perfect use of oak. So glad there are two more of these. No hurry, because judging by this bottle, it is only just entering its window. It would not surprise me if this was still at its peak in another 20 years. Wine of the year? You bet!

Hooray Rens and Kellee!

Congratulations on your milestone. I am pleased the cork god were on your side.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tj2

Post by tj2 »

2005 Vilmart & Cie Coeur De Cuvee - This was incredibly classy and refined and hard to think of a better champagne I've had so far this year. Mousse was delicate but wildly persistent and delivered fresh citrus and subtle red berry characters across the palate, complemented by a lingering soft vanilla creaminess that extended the finish. I'm sure this probably has some ageing potential but for me was an absolute delight to drink now.

2004 Pol Roger Brut Rose - This was harder to judge hot on the heels of the previous wine which I was completely enamoured with. Seemed broader and more obvious in every respect, from the size and feel of the bubble to the more upfront primary fruitiness and a lack of complementary secondary characters, which gave an overall impression of simplicity...however I'll be willing to give this another chance in the future if the opportunity arises!

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Henschke Mount Edelstone 1999.

Ummm, what's Henschke's track record for TCA, and possibly VA, in 1999? Doesn't seem quite right.

Cheers, Travis.

maybs

Post by maybs »

2010 Yabby Creek Pinot

Nice, fuller bodies pinot. Maybe in a slightly in between phase? But good.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

tunetown

Post by tunetown »

2003 Henschke Keyneton Estate Euphonium. Hmmm, surprised to taste no fruit. All secondary flavours. This is past its prime but still pleasant enough to drink. Smooth mouth feel with impressive length. I only wish I got to this a few years earlier. I've still one left in the cellar. I better smash it soon. Can't believe this hasn't cellared 11 years.
Cheers
Peter Houghton

ads_11

Post by ads_11 »

Daughters 21st lunch.. Had originally planned to open a 1993 Magnum Basket Press, but unfortunately the restaurant would not allow Magnums. So instead;

2003 Rockford Black Shiraz - I have not had much experience with these as I am not really into sparkling but the ladies all commented that they loved it. Cork was in good condition with only slight seepage up the cork. Lots of bubbles and and dark red colour. Still a lot of fruit and good for a couple more years I would guess.

1993 St Henri - Browny red brick colour. Lots of sediment in the bottle and the cork broke up on removal. Not a lot of fruit left on the nose initially but opened up after about an hours decant. In my opinion, this was coming to the end of its drinking window, but was still a very enjoyable wine.

2004 Marqués de Murrieta Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial - Mixed berry goodness,and silky smooth. Had a nutty spice to it that was well integrated. Very nice!

1996 Tyrrells the Contour - Real funky smell straight out the bottle and did not get any better with any air.. Well passed it I would say

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

TravisW wrote:Henschke Mount Edelstone 1999.

Ummm, what's Henschke's track record for TCA, and possibly VA, in 1999? Doesn't seem quite right.

Cheers, Travis.

Bretty vintage I recall. As bad as the 98? Dunno. I will be handing mine back if more reports of brett come in!
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

rooman

Post by rooman »

Diddy wrote:
Hacker wrote:2001 Voyager Cab Merlot. Perfect cork, wine just not right though. Hints of where it should be at, but an acid streak ruins the structure. Not sure what to make of it. A bit Jekyll and Hyde.

I had one of these recently and experienced the same problem - just not quite right. That was the vintage before they went to screw cap and supposedly one of their best too. Such a shame- not a common wine to replace.

I've also got a case of this tucked away which I have been trying from time to time. Personally I think it is still in its sleeping hole phase and needs another 4-5 years before it will emerge. I do recall at the time of purchase JO thought it would open up around now. If its been well cellared then its another few years. the 98s are only just now starting to open up and that is begrudgingly.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2005 Rosemount Show Reserve Cab Sav I am not sure what Rosemount was thinking when they decided to put their wine in "squarish bottles". Obviously it was a bad marketing move, as they have resumed to normal bottles, and offloaded their marketing mistake from $20 to around $11 (5 years ago) . In saying this the quality of wine was not reduced, hence a wine that is drinking wonderfully now with a few years still left in it. Very Very Good. Wine of the week for me.

2010 Rusden GSM A wine with a bit too much acid, not certain what to make of it. Medium bodied, tasting mainly of sour cherry. Good

2005 Chateau Lagrezette Malbec Opened way to early, needing another 5 years. Dry dusty tanins, Med to full bodied, dark berry fruits. Very Good.

2001 Lindemans Pyrus. A wine that was drinking at its peak, however it was a bit shy on its fruit, being a bit restrained, maybe showing some elegance, and not "full on" . Enjoyable Very Good.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

2007 Woodlands Nicholas Cab Sav

This was eye catching on release, haven't tried it since and seen no tasting notes on here..hopefully it's in a good spot.

Edit, it has 4% Malbec and 1% cab franc, woodlands suggest from 2017+, will decant for a few hours first

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 11 times in total.

maybs

Post by maybs »

2008 Kumeu River Mate's Vineyard Chardonnay

I continue to be so impressed by this vineyards offerings, although this bottle maybe lacks the acidity and length of the last I had. Still a really nice way to end a weekend.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

JamieBahrain wrote:
TravisW wrote:Henschke Mount Edelstone 1999.

Cheers, Travis.

Bretty vintage I recall. As bad as the 98? Dunno. I will be handing mine back if more reports of brett come in!

I got rid of all mine due to the dreaded Brett

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Thx for the heads up Mike. I'll try one and if they aren't up to scratch I'll return them- Cellar Door purchase and stored in a professional facility.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Thanks Jamie,

I have a very low tolerance for brett, yet others seem to enjoy the 'complexity' it adds.

Mike