Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
felixp

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by felixp »

compared a couple of Charmes Chambertin from Lucien le Moine tonight, very interesting.
I always think of Charmes as the wild beast, or Aussie shiraz of Burgundy, and I think these two wines beautifully showed how well the wild beast can settle down with time
Lucien le moine Charmes Chambertin 2008
out of control big wine, massive in every respect, with huge but ripe tannins encasing sublime fruit underneath. Just a bit too much of everything at this stage, I have a 6 pack of the 2010, God only knows how that must be showing right now!! Like Mazis, Charmes is a wine that demands utmost patience, and is never a wine for those looking for Chambolle-like elegance. But there is no denying the underlying premier class fruit, and this will be something special in 20 years.
94+++ drink: don't bother approaching before 2018, and then give it plenty of air.
Lucien le Moine Charmes Chambertin 2001
Still a huge wine, but showing less flamboyance, softer tannins and an incredible Peacock's tail at the end. Fills every olfactory receptor and corner of the mouth, an amazing expansive wine that is approachable at age 13, but certainly no-where near it's peak.
95pts drink: now-2025+

There was a German auslese to finish, but I had a cold Tsing Tao instead :D

rens

Post by rens »

To celebrate my wife putting up with me for 9 years we had dinner at 85 Miskin Street which most Brisbane fomites know as Brent's. Brent is still the owner and chef. As expected the meal and service were as good as always. Always a treat especially when you can BYO.
So to the wine. 1996 Wynn's John Riddoch From a great cellar where it's been sitting since release, this was very closed when I pulled the cork at 4pm. It sat in the decanter until 7 when we left for dinner. It had another decant on arrival at the restaurant and sat for 20 minutes whilst we enjoyed a couple of glasses of Moet. When the wait staff poured it I could smell it as it hit the bottom of the glass. It had a very heady nose that reminded me of Penfolds Grange of the same vintage. The palate had great fruit, epic balance and silky tannins with the perfect use of oak. So glad there are two more of these. No hurry, because judging by this bottle, it is only just entering its window. It would not surprise me if this was still at its peak in another 20 years. Wine of the year? You bet!
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Congrats to you both Rens. Glad you had a great night with a great wine!

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

rens wrote:To celebrate my wife putting up with me for 9 years we had dinner at 85 Miskin Street which most Brisbane fomites know as Brent's. Brent is still the owner and chef. As expected the meal and service were as good as always. Always a treat especially when you can BYO.
So to the wine. 1996 Wynn's John Riddoch From a great cellar where it's been sitting since release, this was very closed when I pulled the cork at 4pm. It sat in the decanter until 7 when we left for dinner. It had another decant on arrival at the restaurant and sat for 20 minutes whilst we enjoyed a couple of glasses of Moet. When the wait staff poured it I could smell it as it hit the bottom of the glass. It had a very heady nose that reminded me of Penfolds Grange of the same vintage. The palate had great fruit, epic balance and silky tannins with the perfect use of oak. So glad there are two more of these. No hurry, because judging by this bottle, it is only just entering its window. It would not surprise me if this was still at its peak in another 20 years. Wine of the year? You bet!

Glad you enjoyed it Rens. I've been really underwhelmed by this vintage in the past.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Compliments on your choice of venue. Brent's is my favourite Brisbane eatery and next time I am in Brisbane I will organise another offline there.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

TravisW wrote:How's the Collector Res 09 looking Michael?

Reasonably well Travis. Some pepper characteristics mixed with usual suspects. Medium finish.
Quite high toned, perhaps still too young, definitely needs food at this stage.

Fwiw I think this was my last one, and I don't really mind. Opened all my 08s one night last year, that is definitely a wine I keep an eye out for at auctions.

rossmckay

Post by rossmckay »

Last night was a big one as our last in Beaune

Started al La Dillatante with a Domaine le briseau Patapon blanc which is a dry chenin sparkler from the Loire - very mineral but with floral aromas
moved on to a 2011 Simon Bize Bourgogne Les Perrieres - a pretty handy mineral and citris village level which was overshadowed by
a 2012 Domaine Pattes Loup Butteaux, Chablis !er Cru - oyester shell, green apple and stonefuruit, a wow wine in the Ross index - buy some, keep for 5 years and dig in I reckon
After that we repaired to Ma Cuisine and followed up with a half bottle of 2011 Jacques Carillon Puligny Montrachet - easy to drink and ready now in the smaller format -almonds and stonefruit which worked so well with snails and scallops
the best Boeuf Bourgogne ever was accompanied by a 2009 Joseph Drouhin Chambolle Musigny Baudes 1er - tannins under control, great acid structure, ripe red fruit, long, simply outstanding
on the way home we decided to pop into La Dillatantes again and finish off with glasses of 2013 Le Briseau Kharakter Jasniere Vendomois from the Loire and Lou.Y es-tu? Beaujolais-villages and I seem to remember a strange beer and some PX but it was getting pretty late by then

A memorable night
http://vinsiders.com.au

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

2010 Eperosa Synthesis Mataro Grenache - Cork noticeably depressed but the wine hadn't travelled more than a few mm up. I was looking forward to trying this blend but the nose and palate were muted, with only the tiniest amount of fruit present. Still some tannin and acidity there, but very disappointing. I'm thinking this is a victim of the cork gods, but I'm not too sure as there wasn't any massive TCA taint. Only had a few mouthfuls and then decided I'd rather go to the gym tonight than drink this.

I have a bottle of the 2012 hidden away somewhere which I'll try in a few years, but until then judgement reserved.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2006 Printhie Swift Family Heritage (Orange Region) . I am not certain what varieties that go into the bottle as it is not stated and is supposed to be the flagship of Printhie wines. In summary sweet red berry fruit verging on jamminess , not a great deal of complexity or length. A bit disappointing, drinking at its peak, it's not going to get any better.

maybs

Post by maybs »

2009 Savaterre Chardonnay

Needed a little air to throw a bit of musty funky smell and tang on the tongue but has settled down nicely into a rich, flavoursome and long wine. I enjoy the slight funkiness and yeasty qualities o these wines but could understand why they are not to some people's tastes. For me, a lovely wine to enjoy after a few days fishing in the tropics. Sad it is my last one.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Redav

Post by Redav »

Joint family birthday gather for my mother and nieces so I bought a few tasters;
Rockford 2014 Alicante Bouchet - I'm not big on rosé but if I were to drink some, this is what I'll drink and it was light and fresh.
Rockford Eden Valley Riesling - I hadn't done my homework well so I forgot that it was a dry riesling and my mum has a sweet tooth (just hope the Frontignac for next month is sweeter :s). Funnily enough, my sister has said her tastes are transitioning from sweet and she liked it so it wasn't a total loss. However, it's the second Rockford white bottle in a row where the cork has failed. A few months back we had a semillon where the cork broke while opening and it tasted horrible. I can only think that was my first TCA experience. This time I don't think the wine was affected however the cork broke in half again but in its defence I used two different screws as the first one was useless so probably user error.
Penfolds 2008 Bin 28 Shiraz - there was still plenty of fruit on the nose when opened and let it sit for an hour or so and it was still a youngish wine come dinner. I'm not sure that it was a wine of note at the time but it was okay.

rossmckay

Post by rossmckay »

OK

Champagne Salmon Brut Reserve for lunch on the Aube - pleasant and fruit driven

Trying to get the luggage weight down tonight, making choices - 2009 Dom Dubois d'Orgeval Savigny-les-Beaune Les Pimentiers outstanding young pinot, great fruit character and acid where it should be. At 17E an absolute steal

Something out of the bags, Chateau la Bridane Saint Julien - just a village level but extraordinarily good graphite, smoke and red meat left bank Bordeaux

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Opened a 2005 Campbells Bobbie Burns Shiraz. Alas the goose was cooked. :(
Down the sink it went.
Replaced with a 2011 Oliver's Taranga Vineyards Small Batch Grenache.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

WOTN 1982 Lynch Bages, di Gresy stunning again and I got dozens of these magnums of various Crus back to Australia recently, Yarra Yerring was well received at 12.5% and showing some class, the Gaja 69 past it, as was the 74 Macarrini Brunate Barolo. Plenty more great wines there and not pictured, a 94 Vega Sicilia Valbuena stunning!

BBQ and nice wine weather in Hong Kong at the moment.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

A bit of a celebratory drink (Anniversary/Birthdays) on Saturday night with good friends after a less than pleasing round of golf that morning!

2011 Bannockburn Geelong Chardonnay. This had a nose that I wasn't too keen on, almost a burning toffee combined with rubber. Really wierd. But the palate was very nice. Nutty, creamy overtones with nice oak and some fruit poking through. I just struggled to get past the nose. 3/5

2008 Disgorged Rockford Black Shiraz. Barossa Valley. This is just awesome with a few years on it. I did panic a little when the cork came out very easily but the wine was in perfect condition. The wife's favourite drink. 4.5/5

2008 Noon Eclipse. Shiraz Grenache. McLaren Vale. A shiraz dominant Eclipse and it shows. It's big and bold and needs a few years to settle down some. Still extremely enjoyable drinking. Lots of dark fruits and chocolate. 4/5

1995 Hensckhe Mt Edelstone Shiraz. Eden Valley. I've only had the pleasure of drinking these old Mt Edelstone's a few times and they never cease to amaze. The cork came out very easily with the ah-so and was stained about 1/3 of the way up. Thankfully the cork gods were with us and we had a great bottle. It still had beautiful colour for it's age and the nose was intoxicating. Lovely aged characteristics on the palate and finished very long. Just a beautiful wine and I wish I had more. Probably close to the best wine I've had this year. 5/5

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Nice work Ian. If you loved the 95 ME, you'll go nuts over the better years (ex 98 - a bit bretty IMO).

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Pikes 2013 Riesling.....37C in Adelaide today and not even officially summer...top drop.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Mike Hawkins wrote:Nice work Ian. If you loved the 95 ME, you'll go nuts over the better years (ex 98 - a bit bretty IMO).

Mike,

Had the '96 a couple of times now and it's in my top 5 all time best wines. Just a masterpiece. I have a '94 for my oldest boy's 21st next year. Really looking forward to drinking it, even though it is a lesser vintage. That and a couple of '94 John Riddoch's should make for a nice celebratory drink.

Cheers
Ian

AaronL

Post by AaronL »

ticklenow1 wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:Nice work Ian. If you loved the 95 ME, you'll go nuts over the better years (ex 98 - a bit bretty IMO).
Had the '96 a couple of times now and it's in my top 5 all time best wines. Just a masterpiece. I have a '94 for my oldest boy's 21st next year. Really looking forward to drinking it, even though it is a lesser vintage. That and a couple of '94 John Riddoch's should make for a nice celebratory drink.

Nothing wrong with 1994. Henschke rate it as one of their best
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Another 2009 Tyrrells Vat 47 Chardy. Powerful, concentrated and interesting. Happy I have another dozen, but too tempting to keep for too long.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

2012 Yering Station Little Yering Pinot Noir - Can't beat this for the price. Good colour, good nose, red fruits, fine tannins, decent enough length. For the price of <$15 this is pretty good and super drinkable Pinot.

ads_11

Post by ads_11 »

2002 Grosset Polish Hill...

I am trying to open up my palette for whites, but I just can't seem to get it. Pale yellow in colour, with a hint of lemon left on the nose.. I guess you could say there is a minerally after taste, but it is sitting in the middle of my tongue, and not in a good way.. Not really enjoying it at all.

2011 Phi Pinot Noir

Not too bad, but again, not to my taste..

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

The 94 ME and JR were both pretty good last time I had them.

Mike

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

ads_11 wrote:2002 Grosset Polish Hill...

I am trying to open up my palette for whites, but I just can't seem to get it. Pale yellow in colour, with a hint of lemon left on the nose.. I guess you could say there is a minerally after taste, but it is sitting in the middle of my tongue, and not in a good way.. Not really enjoying it at all.

I'm in the same predicament. I've tried some highly regarded white icons, including Grosset Polish Hill, and every time it's like meh! I'm planning to try a few rosés over the coming months in an attempt to train my palette towards the white style. What's the worst that can happen? I might never like whites. Just means I get to have more reds. :D

The fish

Post by The fish »

A memorable night

Glad to hear that you're making the most of it.

Clearly you've upped your game and the only way to maintain your now high standards is to bring more wines similar to those you've been consuming to our dinners when you get home to Canberra.:D

Cheers
Matt

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Ozzie W wrote:

I'm in the same predicament. I've tried some highly regarded white icons, including Grosset Polish Hill, and every time it's like meh! I'm planning to try a few rosés over the coming months in an attempt to train my palette towards the white style. What's the worst that can happen? I might never like whites. Just means I get to have more reds. :D

Sorry guys, hate being the spelling police, but I can take it no more.

It's palate.

You're not painting. They use a palette. Although an argument could well be made for 'palette' in terms of wine, but you wouldn't train your palette, you might experiment with a palette of flavours. Maybe.

OK will shut up now, no offense intended. We not berserkers after all. They'll shoot you down in flames for a misplaced apostrophe.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Don't even get me started on apostrophes!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Ozzie W wrote:

Try the 2014 Grosset Apiana (had one last night).
I nice approachable white for those perhaps struggling with some of his edgier styles.
At the moment however, I'm drinking a Coopers Pale Ale. Just the one. A night cap if you will.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

TiggerK wrote:
Sorry guys, hate being the spelling police, but I can take it no more.

It's palate.

You're not painting. They use a palette. Although an argument could well be made for 'palette' in terms of wine, but you wouldn't train your palette, you might experiment with a palette of flavours. Maybe.

OK will shut up now, no offense intended. We not berserkers after all. They'll shoot you down in flames for a misplaced apostrophe.

It could have been worse TiggerK. I could have written pallet. :wink:

rossmckay

Post by rossmckay »

The fish wrote:

A memorable night

Glad to hear that you're making the most of it.

Clearly you've upped your game and the only way to maintain your now high standards is to bring more wines similar to those you've been consuming to our dinners when you get home to Canberra.:D

Cheers
Matt

Well, that would be nice :D.

BTW, I've decided it's time to either piss or get off the pot so my enrolment in the WSET diploma goes in next week. Want to do some wines of the world structured tastings on a regular basis?