Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
tdnsfo

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by tdnsfo »

Getting stuck into a 2010 Rockbare Barossa Babe Shiraz. I was feeling a bit frisky and the girl on the bottle was begging me.

felixp

Post by felixp »

had my first glass of a 2009 Faiveley Clos des Cortons, a wine I picked up by the case a couple of years ago in HK for about $110/bottle.
truly an amazing wine, it is almost like they took six bottles of Corton and boiled them down into a solitary bottle. Easily the biggest Burg I have ever seen, possibly the biggest wine I have ever seen. This will be a legendary wine in 20-25 years, but I am certain my remaining 15 or so bottles will not last that long.
It will be a treat with the Dong Bei Rou Bing I am about to devour :D :D

vovo

Post by vovo »

De Chanceny Cremant de Loire Brut 2011.

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

Last night I shared a bottle of the 2005 Domaine Gallety La Syrare d'Alain Gallety (pictured) which was drinking superbly. The wine is a shiraz grenache blend (possibly with some mourvedre) which hails from the Côtes de Vivarais which is on the northern edge of the southern Rhone. It was medium bodied but had a lovely floral nose and a cornucopia of flavours from mulberry and red cherry, to a touch of tobacco, violets, garrigue and hints of licorice and blueberry pie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I don't know why NZ & Australia do so poorly with Sav Blanc becuase this little beauty from Amarone/Soave country smashes them all! Except, I must say, Domaine A has knocked off plenty of top shelf international SB's in tastings over the years.

Giacosa's Valmaggiore isn't as beefed up as say Sandrone's- it is a Burgundy drinker's nebbiolo. Wonderful purity with delicate varietal notes of tar, roses and strawberry-minerals. 92pts but not a keeper for this baby Barolo. If visiting Piedmont do venture up this way in the Roero hills where there are emerging treasures.

"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

07 Francois Bertheau Chambolle Musigny, prem Cru
Quick taste...looks good.

Looong week, wouldn't shock me if something else gets opened later.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Bought a Chevillon 1993 Vaucrains at auction a couple of months ago, crap cork and was dubious of the contents. First few mouthfuls were ok, but it is falling apart fast :(
Imugene, cure for cancer.

maybs

Post by maybs »

After being at the Souths grand final lunch with great company, great stories and atrocious booze I am just drinking a Wynn's 2012 Coonawarra Shiraz
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

toofastdriving

Post by toofastdriving »

Trying my first ever Henschke - 2012 Henschke Euphonium Keyneton Estate - drinking it young just for fun. Got to be getting more of this.

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

Tyrrells Vat 9 2002. My last bottle. Odd medicinal nose but the more I taste it the more I really like it.

paulf

Post by paulf »

An 05 Hanging Rock Cambrian Rise Shiraz. It's a solid wine although not quite as good as the 04

vovo

Post by vovo »

San Felice Campogiovanni Brunello di Montalcino 2006. Pretty damn good. I'm an Italian wine fan.

vovo

Post by vovo »

Krug Grande Cuvee. Just working my way through the lounge wine line up.

Redav

Post by Redav »

toofastdriving wrote:Trying my first ever Henschke - 2012 Henschke Euphonium Keyneton Estate - drinking it young just for fun. Got to be getting more of this.

And how was it? I didn't realise that it was available. I grabbed an '11 when I saw it as a tester (thinking that was the current vintage) as we really like this wine but have only had '07 (half bottle), '08 (our favourite and the first one we had), '09 and '10. For me this was the first wine that convinced that you can really get what you pay for.

toofastdriving

Post by toofastdriving »

Redav wrote:And how was it? I didn't realise that it was available. I grabbed an '11 when I saw it as a tester (thinking that was the current vintage) as we really like this wine but have only had '07 (half bottle), '08 (our favourite and the first one we had), '09 and '10. For me this was the first wine that convinced that you can really get what you pay for.

There are half bottles out there now. Not sure how it works with the halves and full bottles, full bottles just aren't available yet - maybe they hold these back?

It was a great wine actually. Poured straight into a decanter, was probably best after an hour or so - after a few hours it wasn't as amazing, but I do have a cold so couldn't taste anything by that stage. :?

Will be buying more once full bottles are available.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Steingarten 2001. Just like that song from "Fame", it's gonna live forever... almost. Thrilling acid, just starting to develop colour but the fruit needs this glass to warm up a touch. Reminds me if the beach. This bottle might need a 1/2 hour in a decanter!

rens

Post by rens »

2008 Adelina Shiraz. Still tightly wound. Nice cooler climate style shiraz with plenty of fruit and some secondary flavours. Nice wine.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

2011 Passopisciaro. I can see the resemblance to pinot, but with a definite Italian spine. Cherries and a fair whack of acid. A good food wine.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Wendouree Shiraz Mataro 1995. Crap me! Started off all VA and rubbish, but after 1/2 in the glass it is magnificent. Stunning, rustic, tannins all resolved and integrated, a palate of ridiculous length. Believe the hype... if you like dirty, old skool wines.

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

2012 Angove Long Row Cabernet Sauvignon - I'm just drinking one of the mini bottles but seeing how you can get full bottles for $8 this is probably one of the best value drops for <$10 in the country. Great colour, nice tannin structure and better than decent length with a great amount of fruit. Could probably cellar it for a few years as well. Needed about 15-20 minutes in the glass for some acid and alcohol heat to back off but after that it's a great drink! If you're after a mid week drinking wine with mates then buy buy buy.

felixp

Post by felixp »

Leroy Bourgogne 2009
for $35 you just cannot do any better, it is the domaine wine, not the maison, despite the white label. Not super complex, but just so enjoyable. 90pts.

tj2

Post by tj2 »

2011 Adelsheim Ribbon Springs Pinot Noir
2011 Domaine Arlaud Morey-St-Denis 1er Cru Les Ruchots
2011 Ziereisen Jaspis Pinot Noir
2012 Burn Cottage Pinot Noir

A mini world tour of Pinot, all the wines had approx 10 hours of airtime before by good fortune I happened upon them. Interesting, distinct and different...Burn Cottage the most enticing on the nose and fresh and full on the palate, a polished wine with more to reveal...Adelsheim showing very generous depth of fruit, almost a summer pudding of berry fruit richness, complexity within the primary fruit spectrum and would be interesting to see the complementary secondary characters emerge with time...Zieresen some juicy fruit with a savoury white pepper and mineral note, lively and enjoyable...Arlaud seemed older on the nose but the palate was fresh, good ripeness, tannic grip, savoury, underlying power

redstuff

Post by redstuff »

Anciano Gran Reserva, Valdepenas 2004, aged 10 years
Smoked bacon, leather, black cherry and a touch of green capsicum. Creamy oak.

Anciano Gran Reserva, Valdepenas 2006, aged 7 years
Tannins bolder than the 04. Oak less restrained but enjoyable - lots of that smooth cream and vanilla with pencil shavings all wrapped up in cedar and cherries.

Rory

Post by Rory »

Had a Yering Station Reserve Shiraz Viognier 2002 last night. Happy to report this wine is in a good place right now. Lovely balance.

calm

Post by calm »

2006 Possums Willunga Shiraz - very good drinking, wish I had more. Slightest whiff of vanilla but with flavour of black cherry, mulberry, and black berry. I think is still improving.
Craig S

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Saltram No1 Shiraz 1994.

Started off a bit thin and boring, but after an hour it's hitting it's integrated meaty straps. Lovely and delicate.

Cheers, Travis.

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

2013 Some Young Punks Double Love Trouble Nebbiolo Cabernet - Opened this out of curiosity. Colour was good with a powerful and tannic nose straight out of the bottle. Plenty of fruit, tastes Nebbiolo-ish with a bit of Cabernet cassis in the background. Dusty, a bit stalky and a tiny bit green. Acidity, tannins and fruit a bit out of place, with the mid-back palate a bit lacking, although the length and aftertaste was decent. Maybe this needs some bottle age to settle, as right now it's not as good as I was expecting.

EDIT: Next day the remaining half bottle had over oxidised and fallen apart. Down the sink. Disappointed it couldn't hold together for over a day.
Last edited by catchnrelease on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maybs

Post by maybs »

After spending a few hours at a Barossa and Eden Valley tasting this afternoon I had some red wine palate fatigue and was wondering how a Chardy would go with the BBQ pork ribs, but I've got a second wind and enjoying a 2010 Limestone Ridge Trio Cab Shiraz. Enjoyable, though maybe glad I didn't pay full retail for it.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

malliemcg

Post by malliemcg »

2013 Lay of the Land Ben Morven Farm Pinot Noir.
I don't normally drink the PN, but this is making me think the knee jerk ignoring post Sideways was a silly thing to do. It strikes me as quite young at the moment, but is filled with juicy berry flavours and a wonderful drying finish that goes on for a lot longer than expected.