Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
catchnrelease

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by catchnrelease »

Managed to grab some back vintage Wendouree so cracked one with the guys at work today.

1996 Wendouree Cab Malbec - Cork was fine and no sign of taint, we're off to a good start! Generous nose but a bit restrained on the palate immediately after opening. Poured out a few glasses and left them to breathe, and the wine started to open up after 30 mins or so. Nice and raisiny, definitely developed with some dark fruits and mentholy notes, and a lick of tannin to give it a bit of structure. Length was good, but not outstanding. After a few hours the wine in the glasses started to fall apart so I chucked the rest of the bottle in the fridge and had it later with dinner. The leftovers held up well and showed well once brought back up to temperature. Whilst enjoyable, it feels like this wine's just starting to pass its peak drinking window, or at least for me.

maybs

Post by maybs »

Yesterday went and watched a lamb a mate and I had bought get broken down. So we had the in laws and a mate and his wife over for a butterflied let and some lamb ribs.

We had

Louis Roederer NV and 2008 Leeuwin Art Series with some nibbles. Both very good, the LEAS needed a bit of time to really open up.

Then, since My father in law basically only drinks pinot or light reds we had 2011 Bass Phillip Estate Pinot, 2012 Freycinet Pinot and 2013 Serrat Pinot.

The Bass Phillip was an error, in that I had ordered 2012 and realised when I went to open it it was 2011. Decided to follow through with this bottle at least and it was surprisingly good. Plenty of richness and depth, nice fruit, good finish. Very good for a 2011.

The freycinet is a really good, fuller bodied Pinot. It will be a cracker in time I think.

The Serrat is younger, fruitier and lighter tasting, but not too sweet or lacking in substance. I picked these up relatively cheap and frankly I feel at around the $30 I paid it is sensational value. I really like this wine and am looking forward to
aging a few.

A half bottle of 2007 chateau Myrat came out in the end and maybe I was a bit past it but it was a bit one dimensional and apricotty for me. It was ok but I wasn't particularly enamoured.

I probably would have preferred a heavier richer wine with the lamb but it was a good night and the Pinot kept everyone happy.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Which LEAS Maybs?

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Had a bit of a cleanup today and found this bottle amongst it so I thought I’d try it.

1998 Clonakilla Cabernet Merlot
Looked quite bricked when pouring into the decanter, bear in mind it is 16 years old, with quite a bit of sediment left in the bottle. Some dark fruit aromas were immediately apparent on pouring and no taint evident. Really nice power in the fruit, blackberry, burnished leather, coffee bean, plums with some nice tomato leaf. Really velvet like and soft on the palate, with a nice crunchy acidity, tannins still quite evident giving it a great balance, it is showing secondary characteristics adding a bit of interest to it, oak is there but not overwhelming. I’m not sure if this is the precursor to the Ballinderry? If this is an example of how well they age I’ll be grabbing some more of them. The finish is long, and quite warming (not in an alcohol sense, more like a good hug :D) Very impressed with this.

maybs

Post by maybs »

Mike Hawkins wrote:Which LEAS Maybs?

2008 Mike. Nice drinking now with some air but it seemed to appreciate some time so hopefully a bit more time in it as I still have several bottles.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

But which one? Chardonnay, Cab etc?

Thanks

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Half bottle of the 2010 Teusner Riebke Shiraz. Velvet fruit. So good.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

felixp

Post by felixp »

2007 Penfolds Grange
short and uninteresting. I wonder if they should release the wine in such poor years. No better than a $40 shiraz from a good year. 90pts

2007 Usseglio CNDP Cuvee de mon Aieul
liqueur cherry, kirsch and herbs, but only of moderate length and drying tannins. Will not try again for a decade, might just need to settle down. I find it difficult to understand the world-wide uber-hype over this wine. 92+pts

1996 R.L.Buller and Son Calliope Shiraz
magnificent and voluptuous wine of incredible depth and length. Retains nice structure, which is unusual in an aged North Victorian red, which are too often a little flabby. Blew the above two wines out of the water. 96pts

felixp

Post by felixp »

BTW the Calliope was 16% alcohol, but certainly didn't feel any heat.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.

maybs

Post by maybs »

Mike Hawkins wrote:But which one? Chardonnay, Cab etc?

Thanks

Oh geez sorry, the chardonnay

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

felixp wrote:1996 R.L.Buller and Son Calliope Shiraz
magnificent and voluptuous wine of incredible depth and length. Retains nice structure, which is unusual in an aged North Victorian red, which are too often a little flabby. Blew the above two wines out of the water. 96pts

Might need to crack this open soon...

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

2012 Wicks Sauvignon Blanc - Ok on the nose, some acidity and minerality but a bit one dimensional. Not bad, but kinda meh.

2013 La Prova Nero d'Avola - Purple red colour, nice nose with fruit and a bit of vanilla. Slightly confected but nicely so, nice balance between the blue and red fruity profile (almost Grenache like) and the fine tannins. No acid sticking out. For <$20 pretty damn good, worth the 92 points from Winefront. Great quoffing wine.

2010 Wooing Tree Pinot Noir - This is a typical Central Otago Pinot Noir, bit sappy, plenty of fruit and a good bit of weight and length behind it. More savoury than fruity, very good drop that improved with breathing. I'd like to revisit this in 3-4 years.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Tana Gatta Vino Nobile di Montepulciano 2010 (standard, I also have a bottle of the Riserva 2009 to look at).

Not overly tannic, savoury and leather characters alongside sweet bright fruit (cherry?). Very drinkable, and one of the better Vino Nobiles I have tasted in the past couple of days.

And yes, I am drinking it in Montepulciano :wink:
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

dave vino wrote:Had a bit of a cleanup today and found this bottle amongst it so I thought I’d try it.

1998 Clonakilla Cabernet Merlot
Looked quite bricked when pouring into the decanter, bear in mind it is 16 years old, with quite a bit of sediment left in the bottle. Some dark fruit aromas were immediately apparent on pouring and no taint evident. Really nice power in the fruit, blackberry, burnished leather, coffee bean, plums with some nice tomato leaf. Really velvet like and soft on the palate, with a nice crunchy acidity, tannins still quite evident giving it a great balance, it is showing secondary characteristics adding a bit of interest to it, oak is there but not overwhelming. I’m not sure if this is the precursor to the Ballinderry? If this is an example of how well they age I’ll be grabbing some more of them. The finish is long, and quite warming (not in an alcohol sense, more like a good hug :D) Very impressed with this.

Hi Dave,

I believe that it is the precursor to the Ballinderry. I've always found them nicely made and as you said, age-worthy. From time-to-time they can be a bit sweet/jammy, but in general I really like them. On the other hand I have found my palate really struggling with the Hilltops Shiraz both young and old. No idea why, but for me they have felt a touch clumsy. I'm sure they aren't, but I just can't "get" them yet.

Cheers, Travis.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Woodlands 2012 Cabernet Franc Merlot. Tried it the other week and was very impressed, and ordered a case, first one on the block tonight. Broader profile than the normal Cab Merlot....interesting. Would like to see this with 5+ years bottle age on it. Might bury some in the cellar.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

1998 McWilliams OP&OH shiraz. A lovely wine that just caresses the mouth, perfect length and balance.
Only hope the O'Shea's of the same vintage are this good.

Cheers
Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

2006 Dutschke Sami Two Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

Opened to accompany some particularly strong flavoured Bruny Island raw milk cheese. Does the job brilliantly. Rich plum and boysenberry with lashings of vanilla oak flavours. Not normally my thing, but maybe it's time for some revisionist thinking.

felixp

Post by felixp »

1996 Penfolds St Henri
BBQ with the sons on a warm Melbourne night… gotta love GF week. Still showing firm tannins, but underlying fruit is still there, and incredibly, this is still much too young. I would still leave them alone for another five years.

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

2011 Moss Wood Amy's - Traditional Bordeaux blend. Clear and bright purple/ruby in colour, very expressive on the nose but it smells slightly alcoholic. On the palate there is plenty of fruit, olive and savoury notes. Tannins and acidity is fairly well integrated, but there's a touch of heat there and the back palate feels a tad hollow with a medium length finish. Seems like a wine that could be great, and while definitely drinkable, the price tag ($30) makes it seem underwhelming. Feels like a solid ~$20 wine in my opinion.

Bytown Rick

Post by Bytown Rick »

catchnrelease wrote:2011 Moss Wood Amy's the price tag ($30) makes it seem underwhelming. Feels like a solid ~$20 wine in my opinion.

This just came onto our market at $40 CDN. From your comments, it looks like an easy pass.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Hacker wrote:Woodlands 2012 Cabernet Franc Merlot. Tried it the other week and was very impressed, and ordered a case, first one on the block tonight. Broader profile than the normal Cab Merlot....interesting. Would like to see this with 5+ years bottle age on it. Might bury some in the cellar.

Hacker it's a cracker - forget the Moss Wood Amy's imo and load up on these!

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

tim gramp 2011 watervale riesling.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

05 Bass Philip Estate Pinot.....with Japanese, Ryder cup and league.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

:D Tyrrells Old Winery Chardonnay 2012 with a lovely chicken schnitzel up at the Pacific Palms Recce Club. Happy days.

Bought $40 worth of meat raffle tickets and won....... nothing!

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

Had a fantastic dinner at home with some fascinating wines. Only some brief notes but if you ever needed a wine to restore the faith in Wendouree, this was the one!

2006 Tertini Crossroads Riesling - Solid yellow in colour, a bit of kero on the nose but plenty of citrusy goodness there too. Fully developed for sure, but still some fresh acidity remaining. Waxy, lemony and decent length. All round good start with garlic prawn entrée.

1990 Wendouree Shiraz (Magnum) - Wow. Bit of a restrained nose but that's about the only bad thing I can say about this wine. Was opened a few hours prior, and the wine was lovely with tons of dark red fruits, a bit of "nail polish", some minty and olive notes and a fine veil of very well integrated tannins to give structure. Great length. Surprisingly fresh, probably due to the magnum volume, may have a few years in it but this wine was right in its peak, hands down best Wendouree I've had.

1987 Miranda Golden Botrytis Semillon - Was seriously excited about this, bronze/golden colour. Nose was expressive, with a slick palate full of kumquat, orange and honeyed fruits. Improved with a bit of air, but the finish was pretty short (it lengthened with time but still was medium at best). Still some acid to clean up the back palate. Enjoyable to drink, a very rare wine if nothing else, but this may have been a few years past its peak.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Mayer, Bloody Hill, Pinot Noir, Yarra Valley 2012.

It's OK but a touch green, crunchy. Softening up with a bit if air. Stay tuned.

Cheers, Travis.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2004 Leconfield Cab Sav Can not fault this wine, everything in balance, everything you would expect with a mid priced Coonawarra Cab Sav with 10 years of age, drinking well, with years still left in it. Thoroughly enjoyable, however lacking the "intrigue" factor. Maybe I did not decant it long enough (straight out of the bottle). Very good but not great. :)

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

I'm up at Boomerang Beach for a week or so whilst my HSC daughter studies away from distractions. Opened a 2004 Fourrier Combe Aux Moines which was stunning and everything you would hope for in a burgundy. Soft velvety yet complex and attention grabbing.

rooman

Post by rooman »

phillisc wrote:1998 McWilliams OP&OH shiraz. A lovely wine that just caresses the mouth, perfect length and balance.
Only hope the O'Shea's of the same vintage are this good.

Cheers
Craig.

I had one of the 2000 O'Sheas on Saturday night. Really a wonderful wine. Stood it up right early morning and pulled the cork mid afternoon. By dinner time the wine was right on song with that glorious medium bodied leather and earthy flavours that aged Hunter Valley Shiraz can deliver. Soft velvety tannins and a finish that just kept going on and on. As the meal went on I would take a sip and watch as it embraced all my tastebuds. Need more of this.