Penfolds St Henri Shiraz

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Redav

Penfolds St Henri Shiraz

Post by Redav »

So I missed the boat for the 2010 vintage but I've been thinking about trying an earlier vintage to see if I can understand why some rave on about it. I noticed that one of my local DM's has the '05, '06, '09. Whilst I'm sure they're all decent bottles, is there one of these that's noticeably better than the other two?

And for the 64 thousand dollar question; is anyone aware of where a 2010 might be found? I found one listed for a greenie and that's without shipping.

Ozzie W

Re: Penfolds St Henri Shiraz

Post by Ozzie W »

I had a 2006 a couple months ago and I thought it was still a bit too young to drink. Another couple years in the cellar and I think it'll start to hit the right drinking window.

I've not had 2005 or 2009, but I believe 2006 is the pick of those 3.

Sa Mule

Post by Sa Mule »

Both 05 & 06 are enjoyable, not tried the 09. Agree with Ozzie 06 prob the pick of the three.
See if you can snag some 99 - absolutely singing at the moment, and cheaper than 2010!

daveinadl

Post by daveinadl »

I see that my local Dan (in Adelaide)is showing the 2010 in stock again so it might be worth ringing a few stores in qld to see if they are going to get stock again.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

For the money they're asking, I'd skip those 3 vintages

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

daveinadl wrote:I see that my local Dan (in Adelaide)is showing the 2010 in stock again so it might be worth ringing a few stores in qld to see if they are going to get stock again.

Considering the articles with Peter Gago's rather contrived statement that they were all sold out and that he couldn't get a hold of any. :roll:

Every time I see a mention or quote from Gago I get the feeling that he spends more time in the marketing department than he does in the winemaking department.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

odyssey wrote:
daveinadl wrote:I see that my local Dan (in Adelaide)is showing the 2010 in stock again so it might be worth ringing a few stores in qld to see if they are going to get stock again.

Considering the articles with Peter Gago's rather contrived statement that they were all sold out and that he couldn't get a hold of any. :roll:

Every time I see a mention or quote from Gago I get the feeling that he spends more time in the marketing department than he does in the winemaking department.

Peter Gago is a lot about promotion of the Penfolds brand, but in his defense, he made it quite clear at the launch of the Bin range earlier in the year in front of literally hundreds of industry folk that he was not entirely happy with the (high) prices of recent years.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 »

This store in Melbourne says it has 30 available http://www.theredwineshop.com.au/penfol ... ralia.html . I've never used them before, but I'm sure they are ok. The price is very decent as well, less than what I paid when it was released! I might just add a few more to my collection :D The demand has been huge so i can't go too far wrong with the 2010, either drinking in years to come or reselling for a profit.

Sa Mule

Post by Sa Mule »

I paid 69 on release

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Considering how long-lived the St Henri wines are (as are many other Penfold's reds) I should think one should gravitate towards the oldest vintage for cellaring and the youngest for drinking now. Big, blockbuster vintages tend to have longer mid-lives that begs for furthur evolution. In the case of consecutive vintages it probably doesn't matter but I would spread the pleasure by getting several vintages.

Addressing the pricing issue, as a result of the high prices Penfold's has disappeared off my radar and now my eyes glaze over Penfold's products when scanning retail shelves. So much so that a year or two ago when I came across some a recent vintage of St Henri at C$45 -probably due to an error - I didn't even bite. Perhaps if it had been from the 90s I probably would have been excited. Right now I am still able to buy wines that are 7-15 years old.

There are plenty of fine young wines I can drink for much much less - I now rely on the Penfold's that I already have, most from the 90s and a couple from the 80s. But, to be fair, I live in a place where wines from all parts of the world are plentiful and for the most part reasonably priced.

Mahmoud.

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Its quite strange; saw St Henri 2010 show as available at the big box for delivery. Tried to buy 6, but the system kept dropping me back to 2. OK no worries; bought those, but then on website it looked like they were still available on the Friday night. Now gone again. Got it at $80, which I thought a good price given the vintage etc. Will keep looking; could be the odd cheeky release every now and then.

sejanus

Post by sejanus »

in general, if buying a st henri's from last 14 years, stick with the even numbered years and you'll be right.

The 2010 is lovely, but way too young. I have 5 left. I should have only grabbed a couple. They'll be taking up space in my fridge for years.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

sejanus wrote:The 2010 is lovely, but way too young. I have 5 left. I should have only grabbed a couple. They'll be taking up space in my fridge for years.

Hmmm, could this be classed as a First World Problem, :lol: I was wishing I had this problem, however I realised that I also have five bottles sitting in my fridge..... :oops:

damonpeyo

Post by damonpeyo »

cuttlefish wrote:
Peter Gago is a lot about promotion of the Penfolds brand, but in his defines, he made it quite clear at the launch of the Bin range earlier in the year in front of literally hundreds of industry folk that he was not entirely happy with the (high) prices of recent years.

But he would be happy with his salary package? Anyone know his yearly salary package? I've always been curious how much he earns plus all that access to past vintages of Penfolds range, holidays and "business trips"...etc ....

rooman

Post by rooman »

sejanus wrote:in general, if buying a st henri's from last 14 years, stick with the even numbered years and you'll be right.

The 2010 is lovely, but way too young. I have 5 left. I should have only grabbed a couple. They'll be taking up space in my fridge for years.

That's unfair. I thought the 99 was awesome and probably equal to the 98 without all the hype associated with the 98 vintage.

Sa Mule

Post by Sa Mule »

Yep, +1 for the 99

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I have to say I thought the 99 was a dud based on 5 separate tastings over the years. The 96,98, 02 and 04 kill it IMO.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Mike Hawkins wrote:I have to say I thought the 99 was a dud based on 5 separate tastings over the years. The 96,98, 02 and 04 kill it IMO.

Perhaps the case I had was bottled out of a particularly good barrel or perhaps the shipment to the US was damaged in transition but I was definitely sad when I got to the last bottle in the box.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Rooman - Surprised you drank the St. Henri that young given your affinity for aging wine...

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Rooman, i had 2 in the US, 2 in London and one at the winery itself..St Henri is one of my favourite wines, but IMO the 99 is a disappointment. Glad to see Im in the minority as it isnt cheap to buy!

Redav

Post by Redav »

Mike Hawkins wrote:St Henri is one of my favourite wines, but IMO the 99 is a disappointment

Any chance you have any thoughts about the '05, '06, '09 options? Sounds like I should lean towards '06.

Seem's there seem's to be DM supply in random (at least relatively to Brisbane) places. I think I'm still keen on trying a bottle but I've had another thought about the '10. It coincides with our wedding anniversary so I started thinking it might be a nice bottle to have for our 20th anniversary. Stinking emotional ideas :twisted:

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Redav wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:St Henri is one of my favourite wines, but IMO the 99 is a disappointment

Any chance you have any thoughts about the '05, '06, '09 options? Sounds like I should lean towards '06.

Seem's there seem's to be DM supply in random (at least relatively to Brisbane) places. I think I'm still keen on trying a bottle but I've had another thought about the '10. It coincides with our wedding anniversary so I started thinking it might be a nice bottle to have for our 20th anniversary. Stinking emotional ideas :twisted:

They're ok, but for few bucks more, the 04 is much better

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

Took the '98 to an off-line a couple+ months ago. It showed v. well& now approaching it's peak.

The fish

Post by The fish »

by Mark Carrington » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Took the '98 to an off-line a couple+ months ago. It showed v. well& now approaching it's peak.

To steal a line....Took an '03 to an off-line a couple+ months ago. It showed v. well & with some time left in the tank before it peaks. :) looked very nice indeed.

redstuff

Post by redstuff »

Took a 99 to an offline a few weeks ago. Wasn't showing very well. The 03 was much better :P

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Mark Carrington wrote:Took the '98 to an off-line a couple+ months ago. It showed v. well& now approaching it's peak.

The 98 is pretty good...Personally I thought it was 10 years from its peak...at one of the Offlines I think we agreed, depending on how you like it, now is a pretty good time but if you like St. Henris with more age the wine is going to last a LOT longer and still evolve in a positive way (assuming you like them like that).

rooman

Post by rooman »

Polymer wrote:Rooman - Surprised you drank the St. Henri that young given your affinity for aging wine...

I try to restrain myself but sadly I normally get through most of a case before I should. It one reason I went back to buying cases. The problem is even worse recently because I have not been buying as much.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Mike Hawkins wrote:
Redav wrote:

They're ok, but for few bucks more, the 04 is much better

I am glad to see you like the 04. It was the last St Henri I picked up before going hard on the 2010. I see people are now trading it on Langtons at $150 a bottle :D

tommyplussunny

Post by tommyplussunny »

Chris1980 wrote:This store in Melbourne says it has 30 available http://www.theredwineshop.com.au/penfol ... ralia.html . I've never used them before, but I'm sure they are ok. The price is very decent as well, less than what I paid when it was released! I might just add a few more to my collection :D The demand has been huge so i can't go too far wrong with the 2010, either drinking in years to come or reselling for a profit.

Hi Chris,

I have just checked they are sold out too.I have been trying to get more 2010 St Henri and it's sold out everywhere.There are plenty of 09 left , but not 2010.
I might need to source them from overseas , but it's will be a hassle to ship them back.

Thank you.