Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
LGW

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by LGW »

Thought I'd take one for the team
2011 xanadu stevens rd cabernet
Pristine cabernet aromas leaping out of the glass, with amazing violet characters dominating. Medium bodied and very well balanced. The tannins are ripe but surprisingly quite soft and of medium length. Overall, I think the wine has perfect ripeness and balance but just doesn't have the length I was expecting.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lawrie

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

LGW wrote:Thought I'd take one for the team
2011 xanadu stevens rd cabernet
Pristine cabernet aromas leaping out of the glass, with amazing violet characters dominating. Medium bodied and very well balanced. The tannins are ripe but surprisingly quite soft and of medium length. Overall, I think the wine has perfect ripeness and balance but just doesn't have the length I was expecting.
image.jpg

Of course it has the length you expected ... its a 99 point wine! :shock: :roll:

regards

Gavin Trott

pc79

Post by pc79 »

Alistair wrote:Stopped by Piggs Peake recently and ended up coming home with a case - including a couple of the 2013 "Kevin" - a biiiiig and sumptuous shiraz.
We were advised to drink earlier if we liked it big, so we did! Opened a bottle last night and LOVED it. Not cheap, but will certainly be back for more.

I also had the Kevin recently. Serious charcuterie aroma's (hence the name 'Kevin' Bacon) leapt from the glass, rich blackberry pudding, dark chocolate and very high octane - 17.5% if i'm not mistaken?

my wine trek

Post by my wine trek »

House of arras 2004. With the missus, already scored my brownie points! Very easy to drink, you have the subtle aftertaste of tropical fruits. Not a bubbles guy but very pleasant funnily enough had with wasabi peas which made it very nice. Could happily enjoy it again.
“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.”

― Benjamin Franklin, circa 1700s

LGW

Post by LGW »

Gavin Trott wrote:Of course it has the length you expected ... its a 99 point wine! :shock: :roll:

What was I thinking! The finish lasted for minutes. I can still taste it 24hrs later. :shock: :mrgreen:
Lawrie

Matt

Post by Matt »

What else but another of my wine of the yr.
Gomersal 2010 Shiraz

Dark bitter chocolate, coconut rough, mint. A touch of liquorice. It's wonderfully balanced and in check.
Superb wine.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Matt wrote:What else but another of my wine of the yr.
Gomersal 2010 Shiraz

Dark bitter chocolate, coconut rough, mint. A touch of liquorice. It's wonderfully balanced and in check.
Superb wine.

I love it as well, but settling for a 2008 Gomersal GSM tonight. Lots of quality oak and big fruit - Just really enjoying this with a homemade meat lovers Pizza. Will go for many more years yet, but you have to like the style I guess.

Oh and Matt, Baz told me the 2012 Shiraz is one to really look forward to.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Two inexpensive wines open tonight:
2012 Wynns Coonawarra Shiraz. I used to see this as a bellwether for the Coonawarra vintage. If this was an excellent wine then the vintage was probably very good. Not sure that still holds now with the layering of the Wynns "brand". Some better shiraz labels probably hollow this out a bit now. Or maybe I think too much.

Good varietal Coonawarra Shiraz, whatever that means. Black plum, black pepper. Almost medium-bodied. Good tannin profile. This is a good wine no doubt, but perhaps lacking some complexity. Will no doubt please a lot of folks and at $12 I am pretty happy, but I won't be buying 12 (though I might hide 2-3, as this will improve for a couple of years).

2010 Peter Lehmann Layers Shiraz Tempranillo Mourvedre Grenache. Used this for the wine for the Coq au Vin. This has more interest than than the Wynns, though less oomph. Very savoury acid. Unsurprisingly disjointed.

The Wynns is clearly the better wine. But both enjoyable.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Michael McNally wrote:Two inexpensive wines open tonight:
2012 Wynns Coonawarra Shiraz. I used to see this as a bellwether for the Coonawarra vintage. If this was an excellent wine then the vintage was probably very good. Not sure that still holds now with the layering of the Wynns "brand". Some better shiraz labels probably hollow this out a bit now. Or maybe I think too much.

Good varietal Coonawarra Shiraz, whatever that means. Black plum, black pepper. Almost medium-bodied. Good tannin profile. This is a good wine no doubt, but perhaps lacking some complexity. Will no doubt please a lot of folks and at $12 I am pretty happy, but I won't be buying 12 (though I might hide 2-3, as this will improve for a couple of years).

2010 Peter Lehmann Layers Shiraz Tempranillo Mourvedre Grenache. Used this for the wine for the Coq au Vin. This has more interest than than the Wynns, though less oomph. Very savoury acid. Unsurprisingly disjointed.

The Wynns is clearly the better wine. But both enjoyable.

Cheers

Michael

Hey Mick
Fortuitous that u just reviewed this as I have just had half a bottle of the Wynns Shiraz (keeping the other half for tomorrow). Had it at DM ''s today and they decanted it for 24 hours before tasting- a much more interesting wine. You can taste it change every hour or so - I think it will be a cracker and for $11.40 - a ridiculous price.
Cheers Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

Just had a few drinks and dinner at Love, Tilly Devine which was superb. Great by the glass list, from which we had the following:

Mengoba 'Brezo' Godello Doña Blanco 2013
von Schubert 'Maximin Grunhauser' Riesling 2011
Jimenez Landi 'Bajondillo' Tempranillo 2012
Preisinger Zweigelt 2012
Vignes du Maynes Macon Chardonnay 2011
Escoda Sanahuja 'Nas del Gegant' Cabernet Franc 2012

All superb wines, but for my mind the best were the Mengoba and the Preisinger. Although for pure interest sake the chardonnay, which had a nose of tinned pineapple and a dry, but tropical fruit, palate, was unlike any other I've ever tasted.

We also had a Calvados which was the metaphorical icing on the cake.

tunetown

Post by tunetown »

Had a couple of WA crackers last night. A Moss Wood Cabernet 2008 and a Jack Mann Cabernet 2008. Both just outstanding. The Jack was maybe a little classier but really hard to split them. Both have still got very long futures ahead.
Cheers
Peter Houghton

Panda 9D

Post by Panda 9D »

Head Ancestor Vines Grenache 2013 - What a heroic wine. Best for those with patience but holy catfish. Has the fruit complexity and elegance of a top Burgundy. The tannins are so fine and evenly spread.

Head Old Vine Grenache 2013 - More fun to drink now but will improve. Savoury peanut skin, meats, raspberry, earthy stuff etc. happening on the nose. The palate has the nicest and most refreshing acidity. Reminded us of a Burn Cottage Pinot we had the night before.

DRC Grand Echezeaux 2005 - As with the above wines, it was killing a baby. The nose was an incredible mix of light and dark. The flavours were hard to put your finger on. It was long, complex and filled with enough energy to see it go for decades. Only for rich people or guys like me who can get their hands of this stuff cheaply sometimes.. not worth the money of course :)

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Mount Mary Quintet 1999. A touch of TCA couldn't take the edge off a beautiful wine. Perfectly balanced and in the window. Drink now.

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

2008 Rockford Local Growers Semillon - as always, amazing. My favourite non-Hunter semillon by streets. It reminded me of Tyrrell's Vat 63 last night, the oak subtlety giving that layer of complexity without drowning out those delicious lemon, butter, pea pod flavours.
www.vinographic.com

Redback

Post by Redback »

Currently going through a 1991 Tahbilk Cabernet Sauvignon. Cork was stained all the way to the top but managed to get it out with an Ah-So. Expecting the worse but was pleasantly surprised. Some fruit present but would say it has passed its peak and showing a graceful decline. Drink up now.

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

1997 Wendouree Cab Malbec pop and pour. Still vibrant red/purple. Grippy tannins on palate, mulberry fruit and high acid keeps it bright and fresh. With breathing the Clare mintiness comes through. Just a sheer delight to drink. Good bottles will go for another 10 years at least.

Cheers
phill
Drink the wine, not the label.

mse

Post by mse »

I am lamenting while I sip a bottle of dud cock Elderton Command Shiraz 1998, and keep asking myself:"Why didn't I drink it 5 years earlier?"

Tasting note: Rancio character like a fortified wine that has been madeirised. :|

Let's hope the remaining two bottles are ok. :?:

Teisto

Post by Teisto »

A couple of bottles recently

2005 Ridge Geyserville this was a very balanced wine and great with food. Not a massive wine and I thoroughly enjoyed the Zinfandel
2004 Petersons Barossa Shiraz a big wine at 15.5% and quite porty initially. Settled over 3 hours later into a pretty good drop but need to give it a lot of air still.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Seems as if July 31 has been a hell of a night...Still going Gav!!

Pikes 2012 Eastside shiraz, great VFM really nice Sunday nighter to go with home made chicken schnitty's

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

2004 Heritage Rossco's Shiraz - the best bottle of this label I've had. Textbook Barossa shiraz - not over-ripe or porty. Went a treat with a massive steak....

2004 Delamotte BdB - good wine. Infinitely more approachable young than its big brother Salon which doesn't go through MLF.

1999 Cullen Cabernet Merlot - Yet another disappointment from this winery. They remind of the kid that peaks at high school. These promise so much young, yet I've never had an aged one that excites...

1999 Moss Wood Cabernet - the bees knees / ants pants...call it what you will. Great wine in a great spot.

N/V Vilmart Cuvee Rubis - I rarely buy rose Champagne - this one was a freebie from the winery. Good for its style, and friends loved it... its just that the style is not my (lack of) style.

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

2004 Howard Park Leston Cabernet Sauvignon. Lovely. At its peak but still great balance of fruit and tannins. Another triumph for wine under screwcap.

mse

Post by mse »

Penfold's Block 42 Kalimna Cabernet Saivignon 1996
Well seasoned oak (on the nose cedar along with pencil shavings), hint of menthol and capsicum. Still have generous amount of fruit(cassis, blackberry). Still little grippy but the tannin is quite soft already, fair acidity. Still have potential to put aside a few more years to further develop complexity. At 13% alc, this proves high alcohol contents does not necessarily translate to longevity of wine. Bought 8, had one few years ago, still have 6 bottles to try. Overall I am satisfied, especially I was only parting $230/bottle about 10 years ago, which was still fairer and better value than a bottle of Bin707 nowadays, let alone Grange. Makes me wonder why the hack did I bothered to waste $400 punting on good vintage Grange.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Yesterday....1996 Jacquesson Avize BdeB. Over the hill. Dead. Awful. Down the sink. Luckily the last of a case that peaked probably 5 or more years back and even then didn't hit any great heights.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

kaos

Post by kaos »

Opened a 1999 Voyager Cab merlot last night (with roast goat). Beautiful wine, lots of black and red currants. Will finish tonight.

rooman

Post by rooman »

kaos wrote:Opened a 1999 Voyager Cab merlot last night (with roast goat). Beautiful wine, lots of black and red currants. Will finish tonight.

I have got a bit of this tucked away and have tried the odd bottle from time to time or year to year. What amazes me about this wine is how slowly it is developing. I sometimes wonder if it is because I store the wine at Kennards which has an average temp of approx 14C all year around. Whatever the reason, I reckon it won't really hit its drinking window for another 5 years min and will probably last a decade or more once it gets there. I am finding their evolution similar to the 98 John Riddochs; amazingly slow. On reflection they were amazing value for their price at the time of release being just under $30.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

rooman wrote:
kaos wrote:Opened a 1999 Voyager Cab merlot last night (with roast goat). Beautiful wine, lots of black and red currants. Will finish tonight.

I have got a bit of this tucked away and have tried the odd bottle from time to time or year to year. What amazes me about this wine is how slowly it is developing. I sometimes wonder if it is because I store the wine at Kennards which has an average temp of approx 14C all year around. Whatever the reason, I reckon it won't really hit its drinking window for another 5 years min and will probably last a decade or more once it gets there. I am finding their evolution similar to the 98 John Riddochs; amazingly slow. On reflection they were amazing value for their price at the time of release being just under $30.

Do you think the 2001's will be/are as good as the 1999's?

Just opened a 2012 Woods Crampton shiraz. delicious easy drinking with a BBQ on a wet Sydney evening.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

2010 Longview Yakka Shiraz
It opened up slowly, but is quite savoury with flavours of plums, blackberry, pepper and salty liquorice, and now (after an hour and a half) a bit of red currant is starting to poke through. There are some fine drying tannins but no great length to speak of. However it clearly has more development left. 88+

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Hacker wrote:Yesterday....1996 Jacquesson Avize BdeB. Over the hill. Dead. Awful. Down the sink. Luckily the last of a case that peaked probably 5 or more years back and even then didn't hit any great heights.

What a shame. Most well made Cote de Blancs Bdb from 1996 are just coming in to their own.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Collector, Folded Blue, Pyrenees Shiraz 2012.

Cracked and poured. Spicy bluey goodness. I know I've banged on about Alex McKay and his winemaking in the past, and he is a mate, but tasting one-offs like this reminds you why he was a Gourmet Traveller Winemaker of the Year finalist. Pretty tight at the moment, but I'm sure tomorrow night it will be opening up in all of its yumminess.

triumphant

Post by triumphant »

A West Cape Howe 2012 Tempranillo which is so nice that I will order a case. I don't normally drink Tempranillo but this is very yummy in front of the fire with me book. Cheers folks