Good daily shiraz

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Shane_86

Good daily shiraz

Post by Shane_86 »

Hey guys, my name is shane, Been lurking the last few months but this is my 1st post.

Ive been really getting into my red over the last 12 months and ive really taken a liking to shiraz. Now as im only new red, im no expert and im learning as i go. i have an underground garage which I have created a cellar in and temp is holding steady around 13.5 deg in there.

So i have begun trying to stock up on a few bottles. after reading alot of posts in this forum they have been really helpful selecting wines to cellar.

A question but, as most of the wines discussed on this forum are $50+ im not one to be drinking those sorts of bottles on a day to day basis.

Im after a few good reccomedations for some wines say under $20 that I can drink whilst building up a good cellar.

Currently ive enjoyed the "cat amongst the pigeons barossa shiraz" and "pepperjack shiraz" which I have both set me back around the $15 mark, but would love to get a few more suggestions and a bit of variety in my day to day wine, as ive had alot more misses than hits when trying cheaper bottles.

All suggestions are much apperciated!

Thanks
shane

Ozzie W

Re: Good daily shiraz

Post by Ozzie W »

These two come to mind and are readily available for around $15.
- Mike Press Shiraz
- Gemtree Uncut Shiraz

Shane_86

Post by Shane_86 »

Thanks ozzie, ill Give them two a crack.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Where are you based Shane?

Cheers, Travis.

tunetown

Post by tunetown »

Some nice drops around $20;

Mount Langi Cliff Edge
Seppelt Chalambar
Teusner The Reibke
Cheers
Peter Houghton

Willard

Post by Willard »

Hi Shane,

Welcome to the forum. Admittedly I don't buy a heap of shiraz, but do have a few to recommend.

As you've been enjoying Barossa wines, first similar thing that popped into my head was to try a Gemtree Uncut shiraz as Ozzie recommends. From McLaren Vale so still in the warm SA style, this has a bit of class above its price point - good buying even at around $17-$18.

The Teusner Riebke is around the same price and is very popular. Teusner have a pretty distinct house style for me (I find the Riebke a bit sweet sometimes), but still firmly within a typical Barossa style. If you come across the Teusner Independent (a Shiraz Mataro blend), buy a bottle around $20, I reckon is a more interesting wine than the Riebke at a similar price. If you can stretch to $25-$28 and want to try a blend - their Joshua and Avatar GSMs are both terrific.

For some more variety from other regions - try some classics to get a benchmark (keep in mind these will be different to the SA wines you mentioned):

Tahbilk Shiraz (Nagambie Lakes, Vic), and second the Seppelt Chalambar Shiraz (Grampians). Should be able to pick these up under $20, and both will age well in decent years (probably even in average years). Try one (a 2010 or 2012) - if you like it, buy a 6-pack and drink one a year to see how they develop for your palate.

Tyrrells Brokenback Shiraz (Hunter Valley) - this is a good pick for an entry level Hunter Valley shiraz, this will be lighter with red fruits and earthier flavours than the SA stuff. I like them better with a few years on them - they age well over 5-8 years or maybe longer in good years. 2009, 2010, 2011 are all pretty good. 2013 should be good when it arrives. $15 or so.

Once you've worked through these and others you may be ready for more noble pursuits like Cabernet Sauvignon :P

Will
wills.wines

maybs

Post by maybs »

Definitely give a Chalambar a nudge and see if you like it. Drinks well now and will cellar, for sub $20 it is excellent value. There is reference on one of the other threads to the 2012 Wynns Coonawarra Shiraz which is currently discounted a lot of places from its $25ish 'RRP' to around $14.90 a bottle. Drinks well and will cellar. If you are prepared to look at Shiraz Cabernet blends get your hands on a Metala white label. At around $14 some great value current drinking and medium term cellar option. Gramps shiraz is not a bad mid week drink, I am not sure of its likely cellaring potential, around $15 a bottle. D'Arenberg Footbolt Shiraz is not bad, can feel a bit big at times so might be good for the cellar to let it settle down. I'd suggest giving the Kilikanoon Killerman's Run a try as well.

No huge surprises there but some good solid wines all readily available under $20 and several around the $15 mark, so you don't mind knocking a few off now but most of them should be at least a short to mid term cellaring option too.

Don't forget to try new things too, different varieties, regions and styles to see where else your tastes may take you.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Shane_86

Post by Shane_86 »

Thanks everyone, that will keep me busy for a while, really appreciated will def start working my way through them, see what my tastebuds think!

Im in sydney travis.

Cheers
Shane

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Hi,

First time poster here too. Few reds I like + a question similar topic.

1) Chris Ringland ($20), Wynns ($16), Redman ($18) and slightly higher Zema ($23). I know is not shiraz, but also cant go wrong lately with Margeret River cab's in that price range.
2) Open to other forum members, I know the question from Shane was drinking reds now in that price range. But is there also a few cheapies in this price bucket that cellar really well for the long term? I am building my cellar too right now, and have a lot of $50+ icons, but also need to stack with a few more economical options ($20-40ish). So what are your workhouse red wines that stand up to long term cellaring?

Shane_86

Post by Shane_86 »

Cheers cactus. Good question too, i would also be interested in some cheaper ones that will go the distance. After reading an above review on the mike press, seems a few are saying that will. would be interested to hear some other opinions from everyone.

tunetown

Post by tunetown »

Cactus wrote:Hi,

1) Chris Ringland ($20), Wynns ($16), Redman ($18) and slightly higher Zema ($23). I know is not shiraz, but also cant go wrong lately with Margeret River cab's in that price range.
2) Open to other forum members, I know the question from Shane was drinking reds now in that price range. But is there also a few cheapies in this price bucket that cellar really well for the long term? I am building my cellar too right now, and have a lot of $50+ icons, but also need to stack with a few more economical options ($20-40ish). So what are your workhouse red wines that stand up to long term cellaring?

Turkey Flat
St Hallet Blackwell
Shaw & Smith
Cape Mentelle
Grailott
Mt Pleasant OPOH

To name a few of my fav's. There are some great Shiraz in that price range.
Cheers
Peter Houghton

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

All of the above are excellent suggestions.

I would also add the Majella Musician 2012 (Cab/Shiraz). For the $16-17ish price its a good drop.

Blesso

Post by Blesso »

Can't go wrong with Lake Breeze Wines, they are great value for money!

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

If you can stretch to $25, the 2010 Gomersal Reserve Shiraz is incredible value that with a bit of air drinks really well now but will cellar (and improve) for 10+ years no worries at all.

As stated above, the Seppelt Chalambar is also very good. But for me they need a few years in the cellar.
The Teusner Riebke is one I buy as a quaffer when it is the right price. I'm not totally convinced by the Mt Langi Cliff Edge though. The 2009 was exceptional although the 2010 was not near as good. The Zepplin Big Bertha Shiraz from the Barossa can be had cheaply and is pretty good value as well.

There are so many, many wines in the $15-$20 bracket that are very good drinking. Stick to the good vintages and you won't go far wrong. 2010 and 2012 in South Australia were exceptional vintages.

Generally speaking, if you like a more fruit driven fuller bodied Shiraz, stick with South Australian or Heathcote. If you like a more medium bodied elegant Shiraz, then most Victorian or West Australian examples will be the go. Hunter seems to be more earthy and leathery, though I'm no expert on their wines as I rarely buy or drink them.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Matt

Post by Matt »

ticklenow1 wrote:If you can stretch to $25, the 2010 Gomersal Reserve Shiraz is incredible value that with a bit of air drinks really well now but will cellar (and improve) for 10+ years no worries at all.

Gomersal's 2010 Shiraz is my QPR wine of the year thus far. Stunning stuff and Decanter thought so as well.

For some cheapies try Wynns Shiraz 2012 and The Riebke by Teusner...Lenton Brae's 2012 Cab Merlot is also very very good for the price.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Wynns Shiraz, D'arenberg Footbolt, Hugh Hamilton Rascal, Willows Shiraz, Tyrrell's Brokenback, Meerea Park XYZ Shiraz, Peter Lehman portrait Shiraz, Seppelt Chalambar, Kirihill clare Shiraz, St Hallett Faith or the Uncle Dan only special thats a bit cheaper but I forget the name of it... Those are some of the ones I have personally bought and cellared short-term.
------------------------------------
Sam

calm

Post by calm »

Second the Gemtree Uncut
Also think Kay Brothers Basket Press is solid shiraz for every day drinking.
Chris Ringland CR 2nd'd also
Craig S

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

2012 Zeppelin Big Bertha Shiraz is a top drop and can be had for $13. Their estate wines ($15-20) are also very smart for the money (both the Shiraz and Grenache), but I wouldn't go for them in poor vintages.

2012 Mt Monster Shiraz is also nice and about the same price as the Big Bertha.

ufo

Post by ufo »

ticklenow1 wrote:If you can stretch to $25, the 2010 Gomersal Reserve Shiraz is incredible value that with a bit of air drinks really well now but will cellar (and improve) for 10+ years no worries at all.

As stated above, the Seppelt Chalambar is also very good. But for me they need a few years in the cellar.
The Teusner Riebke is one I buy as a quaffer when it is the right price. I'm not totally convinced by the Mt Langi Cliff Edge though. The 2009 was exceptional although the 2010 was not near as good. The Zepplin Big Bertha Shiraz from the Barossa can be had cheaply and is pretty good value as well.

There are so many, many wines in the $15-$20 bracket that are very good drinking. Stick to the good vintages and you won't go far wrong. 2010 and 2012 in South Australia were exceptional vintages.

Generally speaking, if you like a more fruit driven fuller bodied Shiraz, stick with South Australian or Heathcote. If you like a more medium bodied elegant Shiraz, then most Victorian or West Australian examples will be the go. Hunter seems to be more earthy and leathery, though I'm no expert on their wines as I rarely buy or drink them.

Cheers
Ian

If you can stretch to $25 I would strongly recommend Lazy Balerina from McLaren Vale. Incredible Shiraz at the price.

Mick 1955

Post by Mick 1955 »

G'Day Shane,
Tulloch Pokolbin Dry Red Shiraz at $25 ($20 club members) is the everyday red at Casa Mick. The current vintage (2013) comes in at only 12.3% alc. so that makes it a good medium bodied mid-week red for us. I'd also second the Gemtree Uncut and Lazy Balerina suggestions.

Cheers
Mick

mjs

Post by mjs »

Good daily Cabernet instead?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

simon1980

Post by simon1980 »

I tend to get a case of Head Red Shiraz every year, and drink over the course of a couple of years. It does develop and improve generally, but is ready to go straight away. Can get for $20...and I think Gavin usually has it available.

Simon

griff

Post by griff »

Woods and Crampton here. The 2012 was a knockout for the price. Yet to try the 2013.
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

mjs wrote:Good daily Cabernet instead?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

THIS!! Nothing wrong with a Shiraz here and there, but given a choice, for me it's Cabernet all the way.

Bin 90a? Ok then! :D But plenty of good budget examples, although I'd have to say the ideal 'quaffing' price point for Cabernet tends to be maybe $5 more than Shiraz, as a rough number.

But nice work sir mjs. :idea:

mjs

Post by mjs »

^^+1

Yes, doesn't have to be high end stuff, although I agree, Cab for daily consumption is probably $5 more than shiraz. Hamilton McLaren Vale has been good. Picked up some Leconfield for $20 recently (I am died on Coonawarra)
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

Cactus wrote:Hi,

Approx $20 Range from various regions:

Tyrrell's Brokenback - Hunter Valley
Yarnbomb by Corinna Wright - McLaren Vale
Head Red - Barossa
Eden Road the Long Road - Canberra District

$20-40 range:

Shaw + Smith (HAVE to buy some of the 2012) - Adelaide Hills
Tyrrell's Stevens - Hunter Valley
Thomas Wines Sweetwater - Hunter Valley
Nick O'Leary - Canberra District
Collector Marked Tree Red - Canberra District
Kalleske Greenock - Barossa
Greenock Creek Alice's or Apricot Block - Barossa
www.vinographic.com

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

A nice segue but not quite there. Why a daily Shiraz or a daily Cabernet - wouln't it get boring and tiresome before long?

Unless one eats the same thing every day, and who does, a cellar should have daily Pinots, Sangiovese, Tempranillos, Grenche, Mouvedre, Barbera, Nebbiolo, etc. and the blends - not to mention all the different whites. Just saying.

Mahmoud.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:

A nice segue but not quite there. Why a daily Shiraz or a daily Cabernet - wouln't it get boring and tiresome before long?

Unless one eats the same thing every day, and who does, a cellar should have daily Pinots, Sangiovese, Tempranillos, Grenche, Mouvedre, Barbera, Nebbiolo, etc. and the blends - not to mention all the different whites. Just saying.

Mahmoud.

+1 ... good call Mahmoud... though I think the OP is not meaning something to drink everyday but using "daily" to convey something affordable for mid-week consumption
------------------------------------
Sam