Wendouree mailer 2014

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
sjw_11
Site Admin

Re: Wendouree mailer 2014

Post by sjw_11 »

Friends of mine have received their mailer and will be submitting an order including what I want (which is particularly half a dozen of the Cab Malbec which I anticipate drinking in about 20-yrs! fingers crossed)...
------------------------------------
Sam

simon1980

Post by simon1980 »

mse wrote:Hi all,

I have also received the mail (Sydney) on Thursday 10/7, but picked up the mail at evening after work, so there's no difference between posting the mail on Friday or on Sunday. I am still pondering what to order as I attempting to order 30 bottles (5 six bottle cases).

I am definitely trying to order 6 of each of the Shiraz and Cab, but I am not sure how should I distribute the 18 bottle quota to the other 4 reds (Cab/Mal, Sh/Mat,Sh/Mal, and Mal). At this stage I am not considering the Muscat because I don't want to waste the quota and delivery charge on a lesser value bottle, I would turn to independent retailers for those Muscats as they would probably charge around $35-$40/btl anyway. Or better still, if any fellow members from this forum could spare me a couple of bottles of Muscats, that would be sweet! :D

Can anyone please advise what are you planning to order?

Thanks
Michael

Hi Michael, I've ordered 5xSh / 5xSMat / 3xCab / 3xCabMal / 2xMal...with the hope that I get a mixed dozen. If this is your first order, I would anticipate you will get some, but not all. In fact, this is my 5th order, and only once have I got 100% of what I ordered (2009 vintage). I have never got any Shiraz Malbec, and only once the Cab and Malbec. Good luck...

Simon

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

I went for a mixed bag over all with straight shiraz my main request.
I even ordered a muscat despite the mixed reviews.
Not much of a gamble for $25.00.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

I went for 3 each and asked for them to substitute (with a preferred priority) if some are unavailable.

LGW

Post by LGW »

6 shiraz, 6 cab malbec and 6 mixed case of the other reds. Been buying since 06 vintage and been fortunate enough getting all my requests so far. Fingers crossed for this year!
Lawrie

rednut

Post by rednut »

I'm sorry but I don't get the hype over this wine.
I've suffered the dreaded red crayon for years and have obtained some through my brother.
Wont be happening again as the ones I've tried were very disappointing and extremely over rated and doesn't hold as good a resale value as my other wines.
Give me my Rockfords any day.
Just my opinion... 8)
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

All opinions count, but wait till you try a 20yo Cab/malbec. In the words of Con the Fruiterer, Beeeaautifuul! :)
The shiraz is not in the same league.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

The words Wendouree and resale in the same sentence.....hmmm :( :(
Tomorrow will be a good day

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

rednut wrote:I'm sorry but I don't get the hype over this wine.
I've suffered the dreaded red crayon for years and have obtained some through my brother.
Wont be happening again as the ones I've tried were very disappointing and extremely over rated and doesn't hold as good a resale value as my other wines.
Just my opinion... 8)

All opinions welcome, but I LOVE these wines. Not blockbusters, but superb!

I have gone as long as I can on all the Cabernet wines from 2012, the Cabernet, the Cabernet Malbec, and the Malbec, plus some Shiraz Mataro.

Personal opinion only Rednut, but I only enjoy about 1 in every 4 vintages of Basket Press as much as many others, so horses for courses I reckon! :)

regards

Gavin Trott

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

They're great wines no doubt. Have a unique style which I like.
Noticed my CC had been charged by Wendouree today. Straight to bed for the 2012 allocation for a long, long sleep.
Except the muscat, might crack that for a bit of a taste while this winter weather keeps persisting.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

rednut wrote:I'm sorry but I don't get the hype over this wine.
Just my opinion... 8)

What are your other wines that hold their resale value?
There are only a handful of wines that sell for more than their RRP at release....

Let me ask you this...How is it that you've been on their mailing list for years but have never liked their wines? Although you wouldn't be the first person or the last to have done that...

But it is ok not to like Wendouree...They have a unique style and not everyone will enjoy it...

rossmckay

Post by rossmckay »

Hacker wrote:All opinions count, but wait till you try a 20yo Cab/malbec. In the words of Con the Fruiterer, Beeeaautifuul! :)
The shiraz is not in the same league.

Just bought a couple of the 1999 Cab/Mal for $59++. A few weeks to settle and away we go
http://vinsiders.com.au

grapeobserver

Post by grapeobserver »

Does anyone know how the colour coding works? Think I was "red". Love the intrigue :)

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

grapeobserver wrote:Does anyone know how the colour coding works? Think I was "red". Love the intrigue :)

Coding works like this:

Gold star on top right hand side: you get a dozen of everything, including the shiraz, plus backoffers of old stock. :wink:
Black APB initials: First share of the rest.
Red crayon: Next in line
Black crayon: Lower in line
Nothing: Lowest in line, but hey, you are on the mailing list :)

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

I did get green crayon one year. Not sure where it fits in the hierarchy but believe it is for "ordered but didn't get anything last year".

-- George Krashos

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Further advice to my slightly cheeky post above, - it pays to order a mix of wines, even if you have the coveted APB initials like I have. Last year I sinned by only ordering only the shiraz, and missed out for the first time since the 1990 vintage. Not that I am complaining mind, just explaining the idiosyncrasies of the Wendouree system :) This year I have learned.

Ddavew

Post by Ddavew »

Scotty vino wrote:They're great wines no doubt. Have a unique style which I like.
Noticed my CC had been charged by Wendouree today. Straight to bed for the 2012 allocation for a long, long sleep.
Except the muscat, might crack that for a bit of a taste while this winter weather keeps persisting.

Hi there,

Did you get charged anywhere near the amount you put on the order form or much less?i'm more curious on the amount of 2012 they supply to mailer this year, hopefully i can get some, still nothing on my CC yet.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Ddavew wrote:
Scotty vino wrote:They're great wines no doubt. Have a unique style which I like.

Hi there,

Did you get charged anywhere near the amount you put on the order form or much less?i'm more curious on the amount of 2012 they supply to mailer this year, hopefully i can get some, still nothing on my CC yet.

Exact amount came out so I'm assuming what I ordered is what I'll receive.

Blesso

Post by Blesso »

Mine came off the CC today ordered $3400, got charged $3100...pretty happy with that, cant wait to try them. I also wrote a letter with the order asking to come and visit the winery in August, lucky for me they graciously agreed to the visit, in the return letter Lita stated that the wine will be sent sometime this week, which seems reasonably quick compared to past years...so good news all round :D

simon1980

Post by simon1980 »

Blesso wrote:Mine came off the CC today ordered $3400, got charged $3100...pretty happy with that, cant wait to try them. I also wrote a letter with the order asking to come and visit the winery in August, lucky for me they graciously agreed to the visit, in the return letter Lita stated that the wine will be sent sometime this week, which seems reasonably quick compared to past years...so good news all round :D

I showed this post to my wife to show how restrained my order was.

Simon

Blesso

Post by Blesso »

Anything to help a fellow wine nut

Redback

Post by Redback »

I see my card has been debited and looks like I will get what I asked for. Happy Days.

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

Put myself down for 3x Shiraz, 3x Cab/Malbec, 2x Shiraz/Mataro and 2x Cab through a friend. See how we go.

vovo

Post by vovo »

I asked for 3 of each except the Muscat, though I asked if they could pop a Muscat in if there is space. I'm hoping for a mixed dozen with at least one of everything as this is my first order, obviously would be thrilled with a full order.

Redwine&Rum

Post by Redwine&Rum »

Just out of curiosity, what are the prices for the different Wendouree releases. Cheers guys.

smithys

Post by smithys »

richie32 wrote:Being a Clare local needs some advantages especially on a awful winters day like today 4 degrees and raining, get the mailer sooner than most and have never missed on an order no matter what crayon mark I have.
OK, it arrived in today's mail, on offer from the 2012 vintage
Shiraz Mataro $40 (2011 $45)
Shiraz Malbec $40 (N/A)
Shiraz $50 ($50)
Malbec $40 ($45)
Cabernet Sauvignon $50 ($50)
Cabernet Malbec $50 ($50)
Muscat $25 ($25)
Interesting to see the SMat & malbec come off in price by $5 and the SMal back into the line up.
Best of luck figuring out your mark and fingers crossed you get what you order.
Wine is considered a work of art, but, unlike a painting, wine exists for that brief instant in time after the cork gets pulled, it's a transient moment but it can leave an indelible impression

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Hey, hey

WP_20140728_001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

dave vino wrote:Hey, hey

WP_20140728_001.jpg

Well done! Initials or crayon?

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Gold Star, hand delivered by Tony :P or maybe red crayon

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

with a signed bottle thrown in.... :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.