Best reds UNDER 13% alcohol

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
phook

Best reds UNDER 13% alcohol

Post by phook »

I was going through my cellar and looking at my favourite (recent) red vintage - 2002 - noticed that many of the wines were either 13% alcohol or as low as 12% and there is a finesse that might not appeal to the lovers of 15% South Australian ball breakers, but for lovers of Bordeaux, such alcohol levels are more the norm than the exception. Yes, Australia is a lot hotter (2002 was a rare exception), but Bordeaux had some seriously hot summers in the late 2000s, and you rarely see wines in excess of 14%. Does the climate in South Australia make it impossible to control alcohol levels? If that was the case 10 - 20 years ago, does that mean the world has changed that dramatically in such a short space of time? I opened a Max Lake Lake's Folly Cabernet (not Sth Aust, I know) 1994 last week and it was just 12.4% and after decanting and a little time breathing it was a beautifully subtle but still flavoursome wine.

Could we get a Top 10 of recent sub-13% alcohol cabernets that still offer outstanding flavour and character?

Waiters Friend

Re: Best reds UNDER 13% alcohol

Post by Waiters Friend »

In Australia? You'll be lucky. Except ......

The 2011 Cullen Diana Madelaine is a sensational wine at 12.5%
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

damonpeyo

Post by damonpeyo »

Not Cab Sav, but got couple of Seville Estate's The Dr.Mahon 2010 Shiraz in cellar it's 12.7%....picked it up at Yarra Valley when I lived in Melbourne.

Cheers.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

I cracked open a Redbox Reserve Cab Sauv earlier tonight and that's about 12.4% or something. Yarra Valley Cabernets may in general be a good source of lower alcohol levels ??
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

daz

Post by daz »

Waiters Friend wrote:In Australia? You'll be lucky. Except ......

The 2011 Cullen Diana Madelaine is a sensational wine at 12.5%

If it can be found for at least several $s than $100.

tarija

Post by tarija »

Off the top of my head, regular "low alcohol" makes include:

- Mount Mary Quintet
- Yarra Yering No. 1
- Hillcrest Cabs
- Yeringberg?

A shame that most/all of these are at the upper end of the price spectrum.

Willard

Post by Willard »

No idea about Sth Aust wines, but another vote for Yarra cabernet. As Tarija says - Hillcrest often at the 13% mark. The 2012 Village Cabernet (13.0%) is a bit cheaper than the rest of the list above - is supposed to be good but I doubt you'll find any left now.

I've had a couple of bottles of the Hillcrest 2004 Cabernet in the last 6 months, 12.4% or 12.7% from memory. It is in the lighter claret style, but with nice complexity, certainly a drink now proposition.

The other I've had recently was a 1991 Lake's Folly (12.0%), hanging in there on a slow decline I would wager. Much lighter than I expected (I didn't know the alc when I bought it), largely savoury flavours now but still with a whisper of fruit sweetness and a fine line of acid and tannin remaining. Peak drinking maybe 10 years ago based on this one bottle.

Mac Forbes makes a Cabernet blend called the Hugh which is usually 12-12.5%. I've never tried nor seen it.

Will
wills.wines

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Mount Mary quintet is the classic example here.
John Middleton used to say the after taste of a wine should be more like water than a hot alcoholic burn.

Wynns John Riddochs of the very early 80s were under 13% and indeed some of the black labels were as well...that's before the RP juggernaut rolled into town and everyone thought 15.5%+ was the go.

Cheers
Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

ufo

Post by ufo »

[quote="phillisc"]Mount Mary quintet is the classic example here.
John Middleton used to say the after taste of a wine should be more like water than a hot alcoholic burn.

Here goes the generalisation again.!?!
Not all high alcohol wines have a hot alcoholic burn. There are heaps of high alcohol wines out there some over 16 % and are very well balanced and does not display any hot alcoholic burn.

tarija

Post by tarija »

ufo wrote:
phillisc wrote:Mount Mary quintet is the classic example here.

Not all high alcohol wines have a hot alcoholic burn. There are heaps of high alcohol wines out there some over 16 % and are very well balanced and does not display any hot alcoholic burn.

I think more to do with the texture at the finish being more like water, as opposed to taste.

Not many wines today finish with that "hot alcoholic burn"...not even the cheapo jobs at a pub, however many of the high alcohol wines (or even wines that claim they're "14.5%") are definitely too viscous and blobby...maybe ok for 1 glass, but gets a bit much after that.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

tarija wrote:
ufo wrote:
phillisc wrote:Mount Mary quintet is the classic example here.

I think more to do with the texture at the finish being more like water, as opposed to taste.

Not many wines today finish with that "hot alcoholic burn"...not even the cheapo jobs at a pub, however many of the high alcohol wines (or even wines that claim they're "14.5%") are definitely too viscous and blobby...maybe ok for 1 glass, but gets a bit much after that.

Yes the inference is a texture like water sorry..got that one mixed up.

Sorry to upset you UFO old chap, but if you read the post, the position put forward is not exclusively mine.

I have plenty of Noons, Greenock Creek, some Chris Ringland, some Bowen Estate all at 16%+ or higher and if current legislation permits +/- 1.5% the Greenocks are closer to 18%.
And I love them all, the rich plush texture is fantastic when done well.

Clearly I don't drink off the same wine list or even at the same pub, but unfortunately I have had a great number of wines that put a vindaloo in the shade. Hot, unbalanced stewed fruit that belongs in a Fowler's Vacola preserving jar...not in a bottle. The burn makes me reach for a Boags.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

As a point of interest, the Grapemates crew had a staggeringly classy 1981 Hill Of Grace last night courtesy of Mr davevino. Labelled at 12.5% alcohol.

Those ageable, slightly lower alcohol wines can be quite distinguished. They just dial it back a bit and gain some real elegance.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Many of the old Wendourees used to have less the 13%......
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

tarija wrote:Off the top of my head, regular "low alcohol" makes include:

- Mount Mary Quintet
- Yarra Yering No. 1
- Hillcrest Cabs
- Yeringberg?

A shame that most/all of these are at the upper end of the price spectrum.

I think the Yarra Yering's are now more like 14%+... even the Pinot is 13.5% in 2012
------------------------------------
Sam

simon1980

Post by simon1980 »

Now, I now it's not under 13%, but it's damn close...

I can recommend Dalla Mia Finestra 2012 Cabernet. It comes in at 13.2%. I had never heard of it until earlier this year, but the (tiny) vineyard is located over the fence from Yerringberg. Also, at $22, damn good value. Gary Walsh very much enjoyed it (but I shall refrain posting any details here, as it comes from a subscription website). Handy Pinot too. Bruce is the owner, and a fine chap.

Simon

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it really resonated with me.

Not a recent vintage, but am thoroughly enjoying a 95 (chateau) tahbilk cab sav.....12%
Sublime finesse , old leather, wood polish and earth. silky elegance with lengh that just lasts forever.
They just don't make them like this anymore.

daz

Post by daz »

Bests Old Clone Concongella Vineyard Pinot Noir 2011, worthwhile at $25, not sure about $40 - 12.5% alc.

michel

Post by michel »

damonpeyo wrote:Not Cab Sav, but got couple of Seville Estate's The Dr.Mahon 2010 Shiraz in cellar it's 12.7%....picked it up at Yarra Valley when I lived in Melbourne.

Cheers.

pretty good wine
dont open yet
i had one bottle and opened it a few months ago
too young
International Chambertin Day 16th May

tarija

Post by tarija »

May as well include other reds in this thread as well.

Collector Wines Reserve Shiraz 2011 - 12.8%. 94+ Bennie points.
Tyrrell's Johnno's Block Shiraz 2011 - 12.5%, 2013 12.8%
Tyrrell's Vat 9 Shiraz 2011 - 12.9%

rens

Post by rens »

Rossco wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it really resonated with me.

Not a recent vintage, but am thoroughly enjoying a 95 (chateau) tahbilk cab sav.....12%
Sublime finesse , old leather, wood polish and earth. silky elegance with lengh that just lasts forever.

I love their basic cab with 15 to 20 on them.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

rens wrote:

Same here. Providing the cork holds up, aged tahbilk cabs are just
A sensation. Cant believe they were $12 when released back in the day.

daz

Post by daz »

Rossco wrote:
rens wrote:

Same here. Providing the cork holds up, aged tahbilk cabs are just
A sensation. Cant believe they were $12 when released back in the day.

What day was that, or do you mean, "back then"? - six less keystrokes. I had a couple of bottles of Tahbilk cab 1981 about 8-10 years ago that were very nice, all of the components still there, fruit hanging on, tannins and oak fully integrated, maintaining the structure of the wine. The offer then was a two-pack of it with a Shiraz 1986. I bought two packs, forget the cost but one of the latter was reported to me to be corked by family I gave it to. Tahbilk replaced it with a bottle of the same vintage which I shared with Allan and partner at Brent's restaurant in Brisbane some years ago.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Certainly alcohol levels were lower on average years ago. Had a wonderful old Mildara Cab blend a short while ago, here are some notes

81 Mildara Cabernet Merlot (75/25), 12mths in Fr oak
84 Montgomery Trophy winner
0g/l resid sugar, pH 3.5, 12.5% A/V
Bottom of neck, cork in v good nick
Brick red, pale rim, almost yellowish. Some mustiness which blew off, some sweet fruit, then beautiful cedar notes, soft fruit, some tobacco, an elegant style, probably typical of the era, still holding up. Obviously a good old bottle. V enjoyable.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

daz wrote:
Rossco wrote:Cant believe they were $12 when released back in the day.

What day was that, or do you mean, "back then"? - six less keystrokes.

Was that statement really necessary? I would have expected to see more maturity and less snark from a regular.

I hope I am wrong, that you two know each other well personally and it is good natured ribbing, but if not then it just looks like you were irritable at the time and decided to take it out on somebody here.

Lack of snark is what drew me to Auswine and I am sure others are in the same boat.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Yep, that statement belongs on WineBerserkers, not Auswine.

Great thread!! I'm yet to hear a logical answer for why so many really old wines were well under 13% and have aged magnificently, yet these percentages seem so rare now. Achieving 'proper' grape ripeness seems to be the theme/excuse for modern high %, plus the Parker factor of course, but I'd love to know why 14-14.5% is now the norm for what seems like 90% of red wine in Australia, when most seriously good stuff from the 50's-80's was lower?

maybs

Post by maybs »

TiggerK wrote:Yep, that statement belongs on WineBerserkers, not Auswine.

Great thread!! I'm yet to hear a logical answer for why so many really old wines were well under 13% and have aged magnificently, yet these percentages seem so rare now. Achieving 'proper' grape ripeness seems to be the theme/excuse for modern high %, plus the Parker factor of course, but I'd love to know why 14-14.5% is now the norm for what seems like 90% of red wine in Australia, when most seriously good stuff from the 50's-80's was lower?

Global warming :shock:

I must say I really lean towards more moderate alcohol strengths and it is a struggle these days in Australian wines. One just has to soldier on :D
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

daz

Post by daz »

odyssey wrote:
daz wrote:
Rossco wrote:Cant believe they were $12 when released back in the day.

What day was that, or do you mean, "back then"? - six less keystrokes.

Was that statement really necessary? I would have expected to see more maturity and less snark from a regular.

I hope I am wrong, that you two know each other well personally and it is good natured ribbing, but if not then it just looks like you were irritable at the time and decided to take it out on somebody here.

Lack of snark is what drew me to Auswine and I am sure others are in the same boat.

I wasn't snarking, whatever that is. I just think, "back in the day" is a pointless, meaningless phrase that begs the question, "Which day? Yesterday?". Yes, it was good-natured, even jocular ribbing. Your response to it is more likely to be the "snarking" of which you espouse such dislike, is rather childish let alone immature.

Cheers

daz
Last edited by daz on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

maybs

Post by maybs »

daz wrote:
I wasn't snarking, whatever that is. I just think, "back in the day" begs the question, "Which day? Yesterday?" and is a pointless, meaningless phrase.

Really? You had no idea what the phrase meant?

There are plenty of phrases in the English language which are less than clear on their face but have entered the vernacular to the point where sardonic comments about their apparent lack of meaning are, well, meaningless. Other than to be mean.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

daz

Post by daz »

maybs wrote:
daz wrote:
I wasn't snarking, whatever that is. I just think, "back in the day" begs the question, "Which day? Yesterday?" and is a pointless, meaningless phrase.

Really? You had no idea what the phrase meant?

There are plenty of phrases in the English language which are less than clear on their face but have entered the vernacular to the point where sardonic comments about their apparent lack of meaning are, well, meaningless. Other than to be mean.

Of course I know what the phrase is intended to convey but consider it fails to give perspective, especially without a time reference. Lack of meaning, meaningless, mean, you seem to enjoy using that word as a base for your own comments......

Cheers

daz

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

And if this were Berserkers, we would continue to argue and try to have the last word for about 5 more pages worth of total ego garbage. Luckily we are more civilised aren't we.

Having said that, and now ignoring it, it's a phrase. Most people understand what is meant by it, and don't pedantically try to pick it to bits.