Old wine query

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Dexter

Old wine query

Post by Dexter »

I recently picked up some old wines at auction at a cheap price.

One of them is a 1963 Mildara Coonawarra Cabernet Shiraz. Although the little brother of the Peppermint Pattie, I notice on the Langtons price guide that the price range for this is $250-300 and it last sold at Langtons in 2011 for $240. Incidentally that's more than the Peppermint Pattie. Fortunately, I paid nowhere near this but I'm wondering if anyone out there knows whether this wine was comparable in quality (and longevity) to the straight cab sauv and, if not, why the high price tag at Langtons?

AaronL

Re: Old wine query

Post by AaronL »

Last prices for the 1963 Peppermint Pattie was $878 in 2012 per Langtons, so the Cabernet Shiraz at $240 is less than that. The Peppermint Pattie is a legend in Australian wine, so any other wine not going to reach the same heights.
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

Dexter

Re: Old wine query

Post by Dexter »

AaronL wrote:Last prices for the 1963 Peppermint Pattie was $878 in 2012 per Langtons, so the Cabernet Shiraz at $240 is less than that. The Peppermint Pattie is a legend in Australian wine, so any other wine not going to reach the same heights.

Thanks, I must have looked at a different entry for the Cab Sauv. $878 would make more sense and place the Cab Shiraz price in perspective.