Tahbilk delivers - in nearly every way...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
via collins

Tahbilk delivers - in nearly every way...

Post by via collins »

Showing unerring taste and wisdom, my daughters chose to take me up the road aways to Tahbilk for a birthday lunch this past Saturday. They've been Tahbilk fans for years, but really became fans for life when

a) the Wetlands Café developed a kids menu of real quality - with a sundae meal deal and top, and...
b) An episode of Miss Fisher's Mysteries was shot there this past year

Me, it's a thrill just entering the gates, knowing I'll soon be seeing those astonishing 1860s vines again - the only true wine dinosaurs that I have access to - and they are still pumping out grapes, halleluhah. As it was 41 degrees on Saturday, we opted to eat, then hit the cellars, and all thoughts of a kick of the footy in the yards was ditched.

With the western pork belly, I went for the 1927 vines 2004 marsanne, swapping with the wife for the 2011 sparkling marsanne - we could not have been happier with the freshness, the zest of both the marsannes - premium enjoyment to start. Moved on then to a glass of the 2008 ESP shiraz which was charmingly dusty, dark fruited and lush with a tannin presence that held it all taut. Frighteningly good wine for $13 a glass, with just a trio of by the glass wine choices, everything I love about Tahbilk winery was at the table.

The girls wanted me to buy a birthday bottle to take away bless them - 41 degrees outside, let's chuck a few in the back of the car, and off we go. They should be right! :)

Rossco

Re: Tahbilk delivers - in nearly every way...

Post by Rossco »

It is my favourite Australian winery, not just to visit, but overall. Wonderful experience every time I make the trip up (which is about 3 times a year)

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Good to hear the restaurant is on song again, we love Tahbilk too, but have had two really bad experiences at the wetlands cafe in the last 12 months. Really bad service,eg. over an hour wait for grazing platter, and over 1 and a half hour wait for kids meals. And similar experience the second time. Might have to give it one more chance.
Cheers
Trev

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

VC, great hear you had a lovely family birthday lunch.
My dad took me to Tahbilk 35 years ago, I remember crossing the cause way over the Goldburn to go there and up in the tower at Mitchelton, like it was last week.
Wonderful sense of place.
I must go back.

Happy birthday for Saturday....just happens that we both share the day.

Cheers
Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day viacollins.

Tahbilk is a special place for me, too, as you will know from previous postings.

I'm delighted that your daughters demonstrate such good taste, and such sensitivity towards their father's vinous pleasure. Remind me - how old are they again? :)

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

via collins

Post by via collins »

It's a good day, Feb 8th Craig! Yes, the sight of that tower is pure joy for me as well. Don't reckon it's changed in 35 years either.

Teddy, I have to come clean - notice the title? I was going to mention it, then chose not to. But now you've brought it up, the service was an issue. Food and wine were very good, most of the service was good, but gee whizz there were a couple of simple hospitality stuff-ups that I could really have done without. Very uncharacteristic I thought, but your reply does shine a light. Definitely work to be done in that area.

I do recall how much you also enjoy the place Allan, there's nothing quite like it is there?

Redback

Post by Redback »

Hi all,

First time poster. Reading your comments had prompted me to write and share my support for Tahbilk.

Living in Sydney, I have never had the opportunity to visit the winery and I have been buying their wares online and retail for a few years now. I have found their reds great VFM especially when you consider their ageing ability.

Anyway, taking an advantage of a $25 discount being offered to wine club members that was about to expire, I sent an order for a Mystery 6 pack (in its own right, at a great price!). Upon delivery, I realised something was not right when I noticed the box was not the usual type. On inspection, one of the bottles was missing and it was clear that it broke during delivery and the courier replaced the carton. The labels on the remaining bottles were stained and the invoice was still damp. I contacted the courier company who apologised and advised that they will contact Tahbilk. Accidents do happen, so I was happy with a replacement bottle to be sent. To my surprise, I received a message from Tahbillk apologising for the inconvenience and that they will send a new 6 pack at no cost with no need to return the 5 stained but otherwise still good bottles. I am glad to report that they arrived intact this morning.

Great service from Tahbilk and for my part, they have me as a loyal customer and advocate.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Tahbilk is a lovely place to visit, one of the best cellar doors I've been to, ripe with history and character. I would heartily recommend a visit to anyone visiting the area.

The sparkling Marsanne is a new one for me - sounds very interesting. Does anyone know if this is a relatively recent offering as I don't recall seeing it either at cellar door (it was a long time ago) or at retail.

Mahmoud.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

I like the cellar door - and the whole place - very much indeed, but our lunch at the new cafe in Oct 2012 was extraordinarily slow as well.
Seems to be a bit of a pattern. Not a place to eat if you're in a hurry.
GG