Weekly drinking thread starting 3/2/14

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
catchnrelease

Weekly drinking thread starting 3/2/14

Post by catchnrelease »

1997 Wendouree Cabernet-Malbec

Dark red/maroon in colour. Needed a solid 2-3 hours breathing before approaching, of which we gave only half of that. Somewhat restrained on the nose, even after breathing. The palate offered more after 3-4 hours (unfortunately by then the bottle was almost empty, lunch can only wait so long). Perhaps more time would have benefited before drinking, the last glass was the best and showed a very nice wine. Tannins smoothed right out, dark earthy complexity however the fruit may be showing the beginnings of starting to fade into the background. Drink now, I can't see it improving any more with time. Food pairing was meat pies, chips and salad from the Pie Tin in Newtown. :lol:

2010 Penfolds Cellar Reserve Viognier

Light gold in colour. Needs more time, and was not a huge success with half the bottle still in the fridge. Had to double take on the first sniff to make sure it was a sticky. Plenty of dry/off dry viognier on the nose and on the palate, with apricot being the most obvious flavour coming through. A sticky dessert wine mouthfeel, and quite sweet, but a bit short and one-dimensional, maybe with time it will develop into something a bit more honeyed and complex. However for now, a perfectly acceptable dessert wine, especially if you don't like your dessert wines to be super sticky sickly sweet. Food pairing was either a tart cherry pie (friends, again from Pie TIn) or just the wine on its own (me, I don't like tart flavours).

I'm not the best with tasting notes, but hopefully these will suffice!

Mark Perth

Re: Weekly drinking thread starting 3/2/14

Post by Mark Perth »

Carchnrelease

Thank you for the notes. Loved your food matching for the Wendouree. One of my favorite evenings was alone with a 1990 Hill of grace matched with takeaway pizza. Superb.

Cheers

porschemad911

Post by porschemad911 »

2004 Lambert Vineyards Late Harvest Riesling
I think this is slightly past its best now. Not really sweet, but great intensity and a really nice glowing golden colour. I remember it being slightly livelier the last time I drank one a couple of years back.

2008 Canberra Centennary Shiraz
This was a special release, blended from a few parcels by top Canberra winemakers. 3 wines were produced in the Centennary series, this shiraz, a 2008 riesling (that's up next!) and a sparkling. The shiraz is about right now I think, it has mellowed a little. It's a bit fuller-bodied than I usually expect from Canberra shiraz but with the some of the same expected fragrance. Not much pepper in this, which I usually like. Enough acid to support but doesn't overwhelm.

The fish

Post by The fish »

2008 Canberra Centennary Shiraz
This was a special release, blended from a few parcels by top Canberra winemakers. 3 wines were produced in the Centennary series, this shiraz, a 2008 riesling (that's up next!) and a sparkling. The shiraz is about right now I think, it has mellowed a little. It's a bit fuller-bodied than I usually expect from Canberra shiraz but with the some of the same expected fragrance. Not much pepper in this, which I usually like. Enough acid to support but doesn't overwhelm.

...so for other than short-term quaffing purposes this is one to avoid then? I saw it more as an exercise in marketing. I mean can you see the guys at Clonakilla or Eden Road giving up their best fruit for a one off 'regional' marketing exercise? Yes - the wine makers are probably the better ones in the region but the fruit?

Interested to hear your thoughts on the others.

Cheers
Matt
Last edited by The fish on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

2012 Felton Road Calvert…a little blocky on night one, but still enjoyable. Much better on night 2, very enjoyable. One for the decanter if on the tasting bench soon.

maybs

Post by maybs »

[ 2012 Jim Barry Florita Riesling][/b] very pale colour, almost translucent, as one would expect. Mild stone fruit on the nose, very pleasant indeed when given a little air. Lime dominated, but refined, citrus. Some stone fruit and good minerality on the palate as well. Perhaps a smidge thin in texture but lovely mouth filling feeling at the same time with the flavours rounding out nicely. Reasonable length. All in all an excellently balanced though slightly restrained Riesling, lovely flavours. Exciting to taste because of the sense of how well it will grow and unfold over the next 8-12 (?) years. Disappointed only 2 more in the cellar to age.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Couple of wines for a belated Birthday Dinner with a few friends.

2003 Greenock Creek Cabernet. Barossa Valley. Lovely wine. Still has bright colour, black and red fruits, silken tannins and the fruit and oak are in total balance. Quality wine in a good vintage, but amazing considering the average quality of a lot of '03's from SA. Good for a few more years yet. 4/5

2008 Noon Eclipse. McLaren Vale. Wonderful wine that is just packed full of flavour. Lashings of fruit and chocolate with a touch of tar. Smooth and just a hint of heat but it doesn't take too much away from the wine at all. Really enjoyed by all at the table and actually went quite well with BBQ'd Pork Ribs. Will be even better in years to come, quite happy I still have a 6 pack left. 4/5

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

DJ

Post by DJ »

04/05 Wendouree Muscat of Alexandria
An early nominee for wine of the year. Initial impression on the nose was lavender, later white peach and toffee as well. The nose followed through on the palete with great mouth feel and loads of flavour - gee I wish I had more. Initially paired with ripe Aussie brie and later tiramisu - was better with the cheese but worked with both
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

random things:

2012 Cullen Wines White Margaret River - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Margaret River (2/5/2014)
Every bit as consistent as last November's bottle, which is to say; totally bland! Biodynamic fruit, 'natural fermentation' according to the label - is that wild yeasts? - have produced a wine as vacuous as any anonymous Italian white DOC you care to name. The barest hint of smoke and steel make up a largely acid-free, light-bodied, dry palate; if the water where you live is undrinakble, this would make an ideal substitute, especially in light of the sensible alcohol level ($12). But as a wine? forget it...

2011 Capel Vale Shiraz Whispering Hill - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Mount Barker (2/3/2014)
{screwcap, 14.5%} Big oaky nose. Sandalwood, chocolate, vague blackberries. The palate has gentle but fake-tasting acid, fairly soft gritty tannins, a rather open-knit, almost over-ripe fruit quality, and a warm but still rather short finish. If only this was less alcoholic, it would srely be a more interesting drink. It's just got a bit too much shrivelled-grape quality to it to really hold your interest. Medium/full-bodied on entry, but the finish lets it down a bit. Yeah, it's young; maybe things will improve with age, but there's an inherently unbalanced quality to this which I doubt time will cure. So near, and yet so far.

2011 Sisters Run Cabernet Sauvignon Bethlehem - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (2/1/2014)
{screwcap, 14.5%} Fairly deep garnet red. Nose is rather closed; smoke, faint herbs, dilute currants maybe. The palate has far too much alcohol for the fruit; it's not green or unripe, it just struggles to make much flavour inpression. Low acid, soft dusty tannins, vague black berry fruit; the texture is pretty loose and there's not much depth or intensity here. It feels like the winery has been very professional in the crappily wet vintage of 2011, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as they say. A light/medium-bodied early drinker.

2012 Rockburn Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand, South Island, Otago, Central Otago (2/1/2014)
{screwcap, 13%} Seems all aspargus and tinned vegetables at first, but then some flinty steel and minerally stoniness emerges. It's still pretty fruity in an austere grapefruit way, but that inner earthiness keeps it much more interesting than your average Marlborough quaffer. Still only light-bodied (and oak-free), and the finish isn't terribly long, but the bright acid and earthy/flinty qualities make it a sauvignon you're happy to have a second glass of.

2010 Di Giorgio Emporio - Australia, South Australia, Limestone Coast, Coonawarra (1/31/2014)
{screwcap, 14.5%, A$25} In a new world context, rather closed on the nose. The palate is a different matter. There are strong undercurrants of, well, currants, beneath some slippery sort of oak. The palate has almost too overt sweet fruit, but it feels like it's trying to settle down somehow. Overall, this is simply too young. The tannins are all rather raw and open; it's medium-bodied, and does suffer a little from heat on the finish. I've spent ten years reading "14.5" alcohol on Australian bottle labels, and frankly there have been way more misses than hits. Is it fashion or climate change? Dunno, but I feel a lot better when I see 13.0%. This probably worth a few years in the cellar, but it ain't going to imrpove beyond 6 or 7 years.

cheers,
GG

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Interesting comments about the Shiraz. Maybe they're being conservative putting 14.5% alcohol on the label ?
I wonder if there's something other than Shiraz in there ?
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

via collins

Post by via collins »

2007 Te Mata "Awatea" Bordeaux blend

I recall Craig (where are you Craig?) posting a year or so back that the 07 was a special year for this wine, and that he'd be holding his a lot longer.

Well, you'd enjoy being told how right you were Craig. I've not touched this wine for 3 years, and it's still dense, but gosh it's approaching Coleraine levels of quality - smoky dark fruits, cigar box, tannin rush, and another layer of fruit on secondary approach. A stunning wine, and my mind goes back to that tiny vineyard in that stunning part of NZ, and starts wishing that I'd got multiple cases of this instead of a few.

kryst1

Post by kryst1 »

" Food pairing was meat pies, chips and salad from the Pie Tin in Newtown. " awesome

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

1995 Dom Perignon Oenotheque - just when I thought the 1996 was looking better, I think I'll revise my opinion yet again. Right now, the 95 is slightly better drinking. That said, its like comparing a Porsche to a Ferrari - both are awesome wines. This really is a big step up in quality from the regular 95 (which itself is an excellent Champagne). While it is magnificent drinking now, it will improve further.

1991 Wendouree Shiraz - I really want to like Wendouree, but I''m generally underwhelmed. This was a licorice allsorts nose and palate. That just didnt float my boat.

2001 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile - love this wine, especially at the price. Will continue to improve and perhaps fatten up just a tad.

Mike

porschemad911

Post by porschemad911 »

The fish wrote:...so for other than short-term quaffing purposes this is one to avoid then? I saw it more as an exercise in marketing. I mean can you see the guys at Clonakilla or Eden Road giving up their best fruit for a one off 'regional' marketing exercise? Yes - the wine makers are probably the better ones in the region but the fruit?

Interested to hear your thoughts on the others.

Cheers
Matt

The shiraz is definitely not a bad wine, and the story goes that only a careful selection of fruit went into it, but I've had better. For example I prefer every vintage of Clonakilla O'Riada or Mount Majura shiraz that I've tasted.

I've just headed off to Adelaide for a family visit, touring Clare Valley on Sunday so it will be a little while before I can get to the others, but they are next in the firing line when I get back.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Mike Hawkins wrote:

1991 Wendouree Shiraz - I really want to like Wendouree, but I''m generally underwhelmed. This was a licorice allsorts nose and palate. That just didnt float my boat.

Mike

I am with you. I have tried a few now and have yet to be really impressed by any of them especially given all the hype. I often wonder if its a case of the Emperor's clothing with this brand.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

rooman wrote:I am with you. I have tried a few now and have yet to be really impressed by any of them especially given all the hype. I often wonder if its a case of the Emperor's clothing with this brand.

Stick with the cab malbec, it was the star at a recent Wendouree dinner we offlined. Genuine quality there.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Mike Hawkins wrote:2001 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile - love this wine, especially at the price. Will continue to improve and perhaps fatten up just a tad.

Mike

Mike, any experience with the 2005 Freddy Emile?

TIA

monghead

Post by monghead »

via collins wrote:2007 Te Mata "Awatea" Bordeaux blend

I recall Craig (where are you Craig?) posting a year or so back that the 07 was a special year for this wine, and that he'd be holding his a lot longer.

Well, you'd enjoy being told how right you were Craig. I've not touched this wine for 3 years, and it's still dense, but gosh it's approaching Coleraine levels of quality - smoky dark fruits, cigar box, tannin rush, and another layer of fruit on secondary approach. A stunning wine, and my mind goes back to that tiny vineyard in that stunning part of NZ, and starts wishing that I'd got multiple cases of this instead of a few.

Yeah, the 07's from Te Mata are awesome. Wished I had got more too.

monghead

Post by monghead »

2011 Francois Raveneau Chablis
Man, their village wine is delectable... Fresh juicy candied citrus, oyster brine, mineral goodness...
Good Good.

timmspe

Post by timmspe »

2010 Main Divide Pinot Noir. Clear, medium red. Vegemite was the first smell. Then mushrooms, and an array of subjective tasting notes e.g. wet dirt under a very wet log (covered in moss, haha), and a dusty shop. Then sourdough and a bit of meat pie. A hint of red fruit struggling for attention. To me, the aroma and the palate were pretty different, with the palate providing more in the way of chocolate truffles, and chocolate-coated strawberries (think Menz). A thin but long finish. A vestige of sourdough lingering in the mouth and at the back of the nose several minutes later.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

monghead wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:2001 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile - love this wine, especially at the price. Will continue to improve and perhaps fatten up just a tad.

Mike

Mike, any experience with the 2005 Freddy Emile?

TIA

I had a bottle at Eleven Madison Park a year or two ago and it was really good. I recall thinking I'd buy a case and never got around to it. It was a little riper than the 2001 from memory.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Mike Hawkins wrote:

I had a bottle at Eleven Madison Park a year or two ago and it was really good. I recall thinking I'd buy a case and never got around to it. It was a little riper than the 2001 from memory.

I have always wanted to try this restaurant. Is it as good as they say?

Mark

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

We're hoping to go in June. Michael R will likely say Yes to your question.

But are other NYC options equally exciting/satisfying/experiential for half the price?? That is the big question. I'm feeling a tiny bit 'over' super-high-end dining.

Cheers
TiggerK

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Rooman
Yes, definitely worth the money. Best meal we've ever had. Tiff and I still think and talk about it now and then.
Only been once mind you and was a couple of years ago. They've since changed the menu format, but Mike Hawkins (who originally recommended it on here) since mentioned that they've lost none of the quality.

Tim, there's definitely a tonne of great NYC restaurants at every price point, we had some cracking meals/experiences at minetta tavern, raouls, gramercy tavern etc. let's have a more focussed chat soon on options etc.
But missing EMP is not an option. Book a lunch, turn up, and thank me later :mrgreen:
Caveat, it's definitely not bulletproof, e.g. Len's also been but didn't rate it nearly as highly...but he loved Daniel, which we also tried but didn't love.....basically it's all subjective mate... but when will u be in NYC again??? Just do it!!!

griff

Post by griff »

TiggerK wrote:We're hoping to go in June. Michael R will likely say Yes to your question.

But are other NYC options equally exciting/satisfying/experiential for half the price?? That is the big question. I'm feeling a tiny bit 'over' super-high-end dining.

Cheers
TiggerK

Yes to being over high end dining. Sixpenny and Momofuku weren't pressing many buttons over here in Sydney recently. In general I have mostly preferred 1 and 2 star Michelin dining over 3 star. That is in Europe however. I wonder if my preferences differ in Asia.
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

rooman wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:

Mark

I've probably been 30 times over the past 8 years, and its easily the best i've been to - much better than Per Se and the top London restaurants for mine. I stumbled on it by accident as it was a rare byo restaurant.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Mike Hawkins wrote:
rooman wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:

Mark

I've probably been 30 times over the past 8 years, and its easily the best i've been to - much better than Per Se and the top London restaurants for mine. I stumbled on it by accident as it was a rare byo restaurant.

Ah I am jealous. I have read about it on the US wine boards and everyone appears to have the same response. I clearly need to try and get back to NY. It has been far too long.

Mark