Another school night dinner...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Another school night dinner...

Post by monghead »

You know when you just have that urge to drink some good wine, and you have no one to share it with...

What do you do? Contact a couple of mates, and 48 hrs later, you have a stonkingly good dinner!

Thanks MichaelR, CamW, and griff for rallying and making this possible. And thank you all for your generous contributions! It has certainly sated that itch... Well, for a couple of days anyway... :wink:

We dined at Kepos St Kitchen. Decent food, good, but not great. The strong flavours often didn't do any favours for the wine, but by themself, were very tasty. Good service, and BYO for only 5pp!

Anyways, a list of the wines we shared to start with, then when time permits, will post notes later...

2004 Bollinger Grand Anne
2011 PYCM Corton Charlemagne
2008 Henri Boillot Corton Charlemagne
2000 Comte Georges de Vogue Bonnes Mares
1989 Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage
2004 Henri Bonneau Reserve des Celestins CNdP

TiggerK

Re: Another school night dinner...

Post by TiggerK »

Nice drinking lads, was sad I couldn't make it! Look fwd to some notes...

griff

Post by griff »

No written notes from me I'm afraid. Cam has some but I suspect that he has a backlog ;)

Here are my brief recollections:

2004 Bollinger Grand Anne
Oak and toast bookending a rather earthy palate. Rather different to the laser precision of the 2002.

2011 PYCM Corton Charlemagne
White gold. Outstanding wine, full of poise. Line and length as Halliday would say. Very light on its feet on entry and finish yet blossoms in the mouth, providing a lovely depth without heat or viscosity. The flavours were fine indeed with jasmine, white peaches and river pebbles mixed in a glass but it was the weightless intensity of this wine that moved me.

2008 Henri Boillot Corton Charlemagne
Yellow gold. Spicy plump palate of yellow peaches and pears with a diacetyl lingering finish. On any other night, a star. That night it was put in the shade.

2000 Comte Georges de Vogue Bonnes Mares
I struck out with options. A slightly meaty nose with some spiced cherry. A rippling meaty palate with earthy notes and perhaps some balsamic. I guessed US due to the muted nose and ripe palate. The shame! The only consolation in that this was my first Bonnes Mares.

1989 Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage
A little confusing which decanter was which. I think we came to the conclusion this was the lighter colour due to the age. This wine had some DMS judging by the blackcurrant and truffle notes along with the smell of coaldust. Rich palate with some leather emerging on breathing further muddling identification efforts!

2004 Henri Bonneau Reserve des Celestins CNdP
This started with some leather but provided a lovely example of how CDP can nail that leather-kirsch one-two combination. Quite intoxicating actually. Rich palate yet again with little heat on the finish. How did they manage that?

Just looking at my thoughts here and I think the food being quite acidic and fruity didn't do the wines many favours as most all of the wines tasted heavy and weighty. That or it was a root day!

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Very enjoyable night.
Thanks again everyone!
Would echo Carls comments, and add another that he made on the night (Carl, you ole sage :D ) …The PYCM started to close up and tighten after about an hour. So definitely pop n pour if drinking young.

Btw…I ended up opening that 01 Dom Ramonet Ruchottes halfie on Friday….oxidised, and so was the other one :roll: