January 2014 Purchases

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Mark Perth

Re: January 2014 Purchases

Post by Mark Perth »

Kryst1

Are you sure it's the 2011 moss wood cab sav? I don't believe it is released until May 2014.

Mark

kryst1

Post by kryst1 »

Mark - you're right. It is the 2010.... copy & paste mistake from my wine ark notification e-mail

Mark Perth

Post by Mark Perth »

Kryst1

I did a tour and tasting from the barrels with Mugford a few months ago. Trust me, make sure you have the 2011 and 2012 Moss wood cab sav on you must buy list. They were already incredible wines.

Cheers
Mark

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

From our good host:
3x Hoddles Creek 1er Chardonnay 2012
3x Hoddles Creek 1er Pinot Noir 2012

From the wineries:
3x Rockford Rifle Range Cabernet 2011
3x Rockford Rod & Spur Shiraz Cab 2010

3x Sami Odi "Baby Tui" Syrah 2012
3x Sami-Odi "Little Wine #3" Syrah NV
------------------------------------
Sam

Krusty

Post by Krusty »

Pipped at the Sami-Odi post !

2 x 2010 Luke Lambert Nebbiolo
2 x 2012 Yabby Lake Single Vineyard Pinot Noir

3x Sami Odi "Baby Tui" Syrah 2012
3x Sami-Odi "Little Wine #3" Syrah NV

ChoongWei

Post by ChoongWei »

sjw_11 wrote:From our good host:
From the wineries:

First time poster here but I have have been buying wine and cellaring them for many years. I've often used this forum and the other one as an indicia of how a wine is travelling and/or discovering new wines that a member has tasted and posted about it.

I am a Rockford Stonewaller and a loyal customer for many years. I see good value in their red wine - the basket press whilst no longer unique is an amazing drop during good vintages. IMO the whites are unique and one of a kind.

I understand that a number of the posters here are ardent fans and supporters of Rockford Wines and I don't mean to offend anyone when I say this - Does anyone feel that Rockford intentionally offload a significant amount of their wares at auction?

A recent auction has listed 120 bottles of the 2010 Basket Press, mostly lots of 12. I noticed that the same occurred last year at the same auction house. Now, I understand that there could be a possibility that buyers are flipping the bottles but the sheer volumes of bottles flooding the market at the same time makes it suspicious.

What do other forumites think about this?

Choong Wei

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

ChoongWei wrote:
sjw_11 wrote:From our good host:
From the wineries:

Does anyone feel that Rockford intentionally offload a significant amount of their wares at auction?

What do other forumites think about this?

Choong Wei

Hi Choong Wei,

Welcome to the forum with a modestly controversial post first up! Please stick around and join the fun.

On one level, I doubt that after so many years of refusing to jack up the prices and gouge their mailing list that Rockford would suddenly start cashing in by putting the stock to auction at an inflated price.

Then again, they did produce a lot more of the 2010 and who knows how their cash flows look this year given the competition in the wine market, rising cost pressures, and falling Asian demand (but then I would have thought Rockies more protected given their reliance primarily on a dedicated mailing list)...

In short, no idea... but I guess more importantly, it probably doesnt bother me as long as when I go there they still have some stock to sell me (Im not yet a stonewaller so have to traipse up there for BP) and the price remains as ridiculously reasonable as it always has been!
Sam

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes interesting that it could be construed that a winery flog its own stock in the second hand market...sure it has happened before.
Would be a good idea if Pennies did this (they probably do) so they can work out that their RRPs are 30% above what punters are prepared to pay.

A few things at play here:
Double 2010 BP release so could be the first release plus the rare chance release as dozen lots or each release separately.
Could be Stonewallers double or quadruple dipping....have seen plenty of familiar faces over the years pick up a six pack without tasting the wine.
The auction house ( if i think it is the one you are referring to) is a local genuine operator. Of course he can accept wine from a number of sources, it is a business after all.
May just be coincidence that there is a bit more floating around.
Can't see why you would buy at auction at this stage though with the public release at CD in March coming up at $59 pb.

Rumours abound that Robert is looking to sell his share of the winery (I have a work colleague who is a personal friend of the owners), but would have thought that selling a few cases of wine is not part of a sale, more like an ongoing share of the business and assets if anything.

Or could be that things do not bode well for the 2011 release...may hay while the sun shines
Like Sam, will be happy to buy for a few more years.

Cheers
Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Krusty and sjw_11, have you tried the Sami-Odi wines you mentioned? A mate in Adelaide asked me about them the other day. I have read the email of their release but haven't seen any reviews.

Cheers, Travis.

Krusty

Post by Krusty »

Not yet, pending delivery.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

TravisW wrote:Krusty and sjw_11, have you tried the Sami-Odi wines you mentioned? A mate in Adelaide asked me about them the other day. I have read the email of their release but haven't seen any reviews.

Cheers, Travis.

Hi Travis, I actually haven't ever tried them, I got on the mailing list on the strength of reviews from here and given the quality of the 2012 vintage I figured I would be safe to grab a mixed 6 to give them a go...

Actually, more specifically it was the delight DaveVino took in this thorough review (of last years release) that made me seek them out! :P
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13026&start=0
Sam

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

Krusty and sjw_11, have you tried the Sami-Odi wines you mentioned? A mate in Adelaide asked me about them the other day. I have read the email of their release but haven't seen any reviews.

Cheers, Travis

Hi Travis

I tried to get some last year but was too late, so I ordered three bottles of the Little Wine last week as soon as I received the mailer. Either way one might make an appearance at a Canberra offline so it's likely you'll get to try one even if you don't purchase any.

Cheers

Duncan

monghead

Post by monghead »

3x 2010 Pegasus Bay Prima Donna Pinot Noir
4x 2010 Pegasus Bay Pinot Noir
1x 2006 Domaine Rousseau Clos St Jacques

ChoongWei

Post by ChoongWei »

phillisc wrote:A few things at play here:
Double 2010 BP release so could be the first release plus the rare chance release as dozen lots or each release separately.
Could be Stonewallers double or quadruple dipping....have seen plenty of familiar faces over the years pick up a six pack without tasting the wine.
The auction house ( if i think it is the one you are referring to) is a local genuine operator. Of course he can accept wine from a number of sources, it is a business after all.
May just be coincidence that there is a bit more floating around.
Can't see why you would buy at auction at this stage though with the public release at CD in March coming up at $59 pb.

Craig,

Interesting thought. I am just playing devil's advocate here but there was the same offer for the 2010 last year and the 2009 before that. Checking my notification from the auction house regarding uncontested lots of each auction indicates same.

phillisc wrote:The auction house ( if i think it is the one you are referring to) is a local genuine operator. Of course he can accept wine from a number of sources, it is a business after all.

Nothing wrong with selling items from wineries direct. The fact that the auction house rates every single provenance as Verified Provenance (Guaranteed) (along with the sheer amount) leads me to believe that they are from the same source.

Rockford is founded on a believe of undying customer loyalty - both ways. Customers that continue buying from them gets access to their best. They in turn interact with customers with golf days, lunches and access to special bottling. If they were to dramatically increase the cost of their wines from one year to the other I am sure some of us will be unhappy.

Therefore, one way for them to get double what they would get per bottle is to flog their most prizes wares at auction.

Again, playing devils advocate.

Definitely interested to hear what others have to say.

Cheers!

CW

maybs

Post by maybs »

Added 4 x 2011 Freycinet Vineyard Pinot Noir to my January purchases
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

simon1980

Post by simon1980 »

I think it really wise I don’t get involved in the Rockford conversation…but I am following with interest. What I do know is that they are a very customer orientated organisation, and am sure they would appreciate the opportunity to answer any concerns.

Back to purchases:

5xRiorret Balnarring Pinot Noir 2011
2xLuke Lambert Nebbiolo Yarra Valley 2010
3xNV Bollinger (some silly prices about at the mo...and it's very useful that I now know how to check disgorgement date to make sure it's not been shipped around the world 3 times!)

I’m holding fast on my “non Shiraz buying” for now…although Sami Odi may change my mind!

simon1980

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

simon1980 wrote:(some silly prices about at the mo...and it's very useful that I now know how to check disgorgement date to make sure it's not been shipped around the world 3 times!)

simon1980

Indeed, grabbed some 2002 vintage Lanson from one these big guys, wonderful price, wonderful wine (usually).

Flat as a tack, a bit premox , or as above, perhaps 'widely travelled'. Found the sink ... lesson learned!

regards

Gavin Trott

graham

Post by graham »

24 Meerea Park old vine Chardonnay 2013 - very much an old style with malo,oak and butter.
12 Neudorf Chardonnay 2011
Graham
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

monghead

Post by monghead »

4x 2010 Domaine Jamet Cote Rotie
3x 2010 Domaine Jamet Cote Rotie halves
Last edited by monghead on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Gavin Trott wrote:Indeed, grabbed some 2002 vintage Lanson from one these big guys, wonderful price, wonderful wine (usually).

Flat as a tack, a bit premox , or as above, perhaps 'widely travelled'. Found the sink ... lesson learned!

You didn't consider taking it back Gav? I would have.

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:3x 2020 Domaine Jamet Cote Rotie halves

EP? :)
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

12 x 2000 Taittinger Comtes BdB (my favourite from this vintage)

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:
monghead wrote:3x 2020 Domaine Jamet Cote Rotie halves

EP? :)

:D yes, yes, a typo.

In fact, I was explaining that they are readily available, and where I got them until I realized why you posted the reply... :oops:

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

From here and there,
Chevillon 2009 Cailles NSG
Chevillon 2009 Vaucrains NSG
Chevillon 2006 Vaucrains NSG
Chateau De la Tour Clos de Vougeout 2012
Selection of Ruggabellus 2012 reds
Imugene, cure for cancer.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

some Pressing Matters riesling (R0, R69, R139)
Domaine A petit a 2008
Puddleduck pinot 2012
half a dozen mixed Delamere's
couple of Bay of Fires riesling 2012
mixed case of Chambers incl Gouais and some Old Vine Muscadelle
couple of Campbells Classic muscat.

Usual Tassie visit, in other words, but drove down and back this time, with a Rutherglen stop!
cheers,
GG

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

12 2010 Metala Shiraz Cabernet...cracking wine and at the price a no brainer.
2012 vintage was the advertised special but a few boxes of 2010 in the mix....lucky me.

Cheers Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

Matt

Post by Matt »

phillisc wrote:12 2010 Metala Shiraz Cabernet...cracking wine and at the price a no brainer.
2012 vintage was the advertised special but a few boxes of 2010 in the mix....lucky me.

Cheers Craig.

had the 2005 the other night - certainly bats above its weight.

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

Decided to expand my horizons a bit! Any cellaring advice on the last three would be appreciated, i've only got one of each.

2010 M. Chapoutier Crozes-Hermitage
2010 E. Guigal E. Guigal Côtes du Rhône
2012 Chateau Haut Mayne
2009 Chateau la Haye
2009 Chateau Couhins-Lurton
2009 Les Colombiers de Feytit Clinet

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

12 X crabtree cleanskin watervale rieslings.
8.40 a bottle.
great quaffer. :wink:
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

TrickyH

Post by TrickyH »

TravisW wrote:Krusty and sjw_11, have you tried the Sami-Odi wines you mentioned? A mate in Adelaide asked me about them the other day. I have read the email of their release but haven't seen any reviews.

Cheers, Travis.

Hey Travis just wanted to follow up your question with my impressions of the Sami Odi Little Wine. For a start it's anything but a little wine -it packs a punch in more ways than one. Secondly, dave_vino described it last year as the illegitimate child of a one night stand between a Clonakilla Shiraz and the Torzi-Matthews Frost Dodger Shiraz - this is an incredibly accurate description. He talked about the amarone richness of the Frost Dodger meshing with the spiciness of the cool climate Clonakilla. However what he didn't mention was that the Frost Dodger doesn't have the typical raisin/prune richness of the Corvina based Italian amarones but instead has a meaty, Bonox kind of richness. This is true of the Sami Odi wine as well. So you get this blend of plum fruit, Bonox meatiness and a soft peppery finish.

Now, I'm sure a lot of drinkers love meaty flavours in their wine, however I find that any hint of Bonox completely focuses my palate on it and away from the primary fruit and other flavours. And frankly the combination of plum and Bonox reminds me of some of the concoctions I used to cook when I was a young bachelor (and not in a good way) In this case there just isn't enough restraint in the balance between the meat and fruit for it to work for me.

I don't want to start a flame war with those who enjoy this wine - just wanted to note that it is a bit unusual and definitely won't be to everyone's taste. My wife however loved it.

EDIT
Wanted to add that after 24 hours in the fridge the Little Wine is quite a bit more balanced and approachable although still having the savoury richness that dominates the aftertaste. I guess the lesson is that this wine needs generous decanting.
Last edited by TrickyH on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.