Gifts for wine lovers

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Witwics

Gifts for wine lovers

Post by Witwics »

Hey everyone, I'm new here and in need of some help to find a gift for my father who absolutely loves wine.

Any suggestions?
“Beer is made by men, wine by God.”

via collins

Re: Gifts for wine lovers

Post by via collins »

Budget range please?

sparky

Post by sparky »

Welcome!

Glass ware and a decent decanter are always a good place to start, although if he loves wine there's a fair chance he would already have those, but there's always room for more glasses to suit particular wine styles. Can't go too far wrong with Riedels, although there will be some other favourites recommended no doubt.

Butler's friend style opener would be my next choice if he cellars wine or collects imports and is opening bottles under cork on a regular basis. Google if you're not sure what I mean and try good kitchenware shops.

If he collects Penfolds, the newly released Seventh Edition of Rewards of Patience is just out - ebook or hardback
**disclaimer** Pushing the company product here:-)

Just about anything Jancis has written always works.http://www.jancisrobinson.com/

A bottle or 6 of something interesting - drop into your local independent fine wino and have a chat to them about something weird and whacky they can recommend.

There are a thousand and one practically useless wine gadgets on the market that I'd avoid - stick to the basics and go for quality:-)

TrickyH

Post by TrickyH »

Budget is important. If you know what style of wine he likes you might be able to purchase that special bottle that he's never been able to justify buying for himself.

At this time of the year there is always a glut of the Wine Annuals/Almanacs. These are books that list, rate, give tasting notes etc of wines released in the previous year. Examples are Jeremy Oliver's Wine Annual and James Halliday's Wine Companion but there are plenty of others as well. These are like tourist guides for wine lovers.

Alternatively you could look into a subscription for one of the wine magazines.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

More wine, fatter women.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

James Halliday's Australian Wine Encyclopedia is a good read.

TrickyH

Post by TrickyH »

Chuck wrote:More wine, fatter women.

Carl

More wine, faster women. But it's a personal preference of course.