List Your Best Wines of 2013

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Hacker

List Your Best Wines of 2013

Post by Hacker »

Our offline the other night got me thinking of the best wines I have had the privilege of drinking this year, and interestingly enough, they were all at offlines! Looking forward to more next year :)

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing from you all about the top three to five wines consumed during 2013. Mine, in no particular order, are:

Penfolds 1998 Bin 389 from last Thursday's offline, thank you Burges
Sylvian Cathiard 2011 Vosne Romanee Malconsorts via Danny earlier in the year - beautifully perfumed and balanced.
Jacques Selosse Initale Champagne - intense minerality, apples and citrus with a long finish. So different to other champagnes.
Robert Chevillon 1999 Cailles Nuits St George - velvety soft berry fruits, resolved tannins, drinking beautifully.
Wendouree 1990 Cab Malbec from an offline mid year, and made me realise that their shiraz is not top of the heap. Such a complete wine.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

bdellabosca

Re: List Your Best Wines of 2013

Post by bdellabosca »

Hi Hacker,

Two standouts for me were a 2006 Rockford Basket Press (top) and a 2010 Houghton Gladstones (close second). Would highly recommend both.

Cheers
Ben

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

bdellabosca wrote:Hi Hacker,

Two standouts for me were a 2006 Rockford Basket Press (top) and a 2010 Houghton Gladstones (close second). Would highly recommend both.

Cheers
Ben

Hi Ben, I was so close to including a Rockford BP in my list from an offline earlier in the year, a 1998, but it just didn't quite have the qualities of the other five. Close though, almost splitting hairs.

David.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Tscharke's Marananga Cab Sauvignon 2010 and Evans and Tates 2011 Cab Merlot stood out for me...The Frost Dodger 2012 was also a standout.

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

I'm not very good at describing the subtleties of wines (why I haven't put notes on this blog before) but will try for the 2006 BP - intense slightly sweet red fruit, spice and silk that lingered - went perfect with the slow roasted lamb shoulder. Popped and poured - drunk over two hours and last glass was the best. Can still taste it now a month later and wish I had more bottles.

I don't know how a particular critic (one i usual listen to) gave it only 88pts... maybe a dud bottle or maybe had a cold at the time? Glad I ignored him...

damonpeyo

Post by damonpeyo »

'98 Orlando Jacaranda Ridge Cab Sav - brilliant, drank twice this year.

'96 Hardys 'Eileen Hardy' Shiraz

'94 Tahbilk 1860 Vines Shiraz

'01 Noon Reserve Shiraz

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Balnaves 1998 Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon. We were all fighting over the last drops.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

mjs

Post by mjs »

Find it hard to go past 1991 Wynns Centenary Cabernet Shiraz. A couple of very good bottles of this wine this year, absolutely beautiful to drink and savour. Honourable mention to 1990 Penfolds Bin90A by a bee's dick from the Wynns.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

griff

Post by griff »

mjs wrote:Find it hard to go past 1991 Wynns Centenary Cabernet Shiraz. A couple of very good bottles of this wine this year, absolutely beautiful to drink and savour. Honourable mention to 1990 Penfolds Bin90A by a bee's dick from the Wynns.

I managed to have the 90A this year courtesy of Monghead. I would have it the other way around but as you say, they are a classy duo!

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Milan

Post by Milan »

This is tough.

1968 Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon - Toffee, caramel, tawny, port characters...insane how this Cabernet can change.

2008 Bannockburn 3 years on lees Chardonnay - Memorable, funky, abstract, aesthetically pleasing, cryptic...

2010 Mollydooker Velvet Glove - Yes it is Mollydooker, yes it is massive alcohol and fruit, yes it is easy to understand...but, that silky sweet fruit is wonderful.

ufo

Post by ufo »

2003 Kalleske Old Vine Grenache, top notch Grenache, never known Grenache could age so well.

Mivvy

Post by Mivvy »

2010 Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard Bâtard-Montrachet - young but still sensational
2009 Pyramid Valley Chardonnay Field of Fire - lush, tropical fruit
2006 Kumeu River Chardonnay Maté's Vineyard - an old favourite, love this
2001 Giuseppe Cortese Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà - just entering it's drinking window
2010 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Auslese - young, intense and insanely good

Looks like it was a good year for whites!

AaronL

Post by AaronL »

Been a bit of a lean year for wines for me. But scrolling through the CellarTracker consumption:

Favourite White: 2009 Pooley Riesling - Just a smidgen off dry, with that lick of sweetness adding to the sparkling, slatey, limey deliciousness. Good one Tasmania 8)

Favourite Red: 1992 Woody Nook Gallagher's Choice Cabernet Sauvignon - An auction surprise! Beautiful balance and wonderfully cellared by someone other than me
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

mjs

Post by mjs »

griff wrote:
mjs wrote:Find it hard to go past 1991 Wynns Centenary Cabernet Shiraz. A couple of very good bottles of this wine this year, absolutely beautiful to drink and savour. Honourable mention to 1990 Penfolds Bin90A by a bee's dick from the Wynns.

I managed to have the 90A this year courtesy of Monghead. I would have it the other way around but as you say, they are a classy duo!

cheers

Carl

Probably a case of good bottles, rather than good wine. Just had a couple of really special bottles of the Wynns. You can see from my Avatar where my ongoing preference lies! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

mjs

Post by mjs »

Milan wrote:This is tough.

1968 Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon - Toffee, caramel, tawny, port characters...insane how this Cabernet can change.

Old Black Label has been a great experience on many occasions for me as well Had a '65 earlier this year, similar notes, just so interesting and a pleasure to drink the history. I'd add mocha and leather notes, feel like a druggie sniffing the near empty glass.

We're talking wines that are nearly 50 years old and they are still a pleasure to drink. Not many other Aus labels have that track record.
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

rosewaterwrx

Post by rosewaterwrx »

Hmmm it's a bit hard to pick one or two standouts so here's a list of my standouts:

Penfolds Grange 2004 -Way too young but drank brilliantly after 3 hours decanting and then closed up again. Bought as part of an insurance auction sale so i breathed a sigh of relief that the wine was pristine so I'll hold onto my other 2 bottles for at least 10 years before opening another.
Head Contrarian 2012 - Amazing wine for $30 and had more than a few elements that reminded me of the Grange meets Mt Edelstone strangely enough.
Meerea Park Hellhole Shiraz 2003 - Gorgeous and fresh as a daisy. Perfect Hunter Shiraz.
Henschke Julius Riesling 2012 - Yes
Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling 2002 - World class
Shaw & Smith M3 Chardonnay 2012 - Takes a day or two to really show it's colours but I suspect this will be stunning in 3 years
Tardieu-Laurent Luberon Bastides de Rhodares 2000 - Auction purchase. total punt. Thankfully a gorgeous wine. Very strong aniseed, silky and earthy....yum
Pyramid Valley Chardonnay Lion's Tooth 2009 - Apricots, cream,preserved lemon, baked cheesecake, minerals and some oyster shells. Stunning.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Wynns 2010 Michael Shiraz...hope I am still alive in 30 years
Pikes 2012 The Merle Riesling, could have this at 8 am.

Cheers
Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

scribbler

Post by scribbler »

From one special dinner
1990 Trimbach Clos st hune Riesling - perfect
1995 Guigal La Landonne- complex, will mature gracefully for a long time
1989 Ch D'yquem - there is a reason this is at the top of the tree....
1970 Fonseca

1989 Chave Hermitage
NV Morris 120 anniversary very old tawny port; love the style of Morris, usually the tokay, but this was awesome

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

I have narrowed mine down to a winner and a runner-up in several key categories:

Red wine of the year (over 20-yrs old, i.e. pre 1993)
Winner: Wendouree Cabernet Malbec 1990
Runner-up: Henschke Mt Edelstone 1991

Honourable mentions:... Wynn's Hermitage 1991, Bowen Estate Shiraz 1993, Saltram Metala 1993

Red wine of the year (less than 20-yrs old)
Winner: Coriole Lloyd Reserve 1994
Runner-up: Wynns John Riddoch 1998

Honourable mentions:... Penfolds Bin 707 1998, Henschke Mt Edelstone 1999, 2001, Henschke Cyril Henschke 1994, 1996, Grosset Gaia Cabernet 1999, Chapel Hill "The Vicar" 1998.

White wine of the year
Winner: Orlando Steingarten Riesling (in honour of 2001, 2002, and 2005)
Runner-up: Writers Block Semillon 2006

Honourable mentions:... Rosemount Roxburgh Chardonnay 2002, Lakes Folly Chardonnay 2011, Mt Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon 2006.

Additional Awards:
Young red wine <$20 of the year: Hugh Hamilton "Black Ops" Shiraz/Saperavi
Vintage Port of the year: Seppelt GR55/41 Vintage Port 1985
Least probable auction "win": Wolf Blass Grey Label 1985 / Wolf Blass Brown Label 1992 (tied)
------------------------------------
Sam

camw

Post by camw »

Have you all given up on December? There is almost 10% of the year remaining!

via collins

Post by via collins »

I'd second Camw here. I expect to drink half my best of the year in the next month, then surface somewhere after Xmas and draw up a best of list.

Ahh, tradition!

Avid

Post by Avid »

Long time lurker, first time poster, who loves lists and hence couldn't resist. That said, I'll try to keep it brief.

White Of The Year 2005 Tyrrell's Stevens Semillon. Yum, will get better, but if you several stashed, worth a look now

Red Of The Year 1994 Grange for my birthday

Honourable Mentions
2003 Tahbilk Marsanne 1927 Vines. Needs a serious decant at this stage but simply wonderful.
2012 Grosset Riesling Springvale Watervale

Pleasant Surprise Of The Year 2010 Sanguine Estate Shiraz Progeny from Heathcote. Came to me as a gift from my wine ignoramus brother, who got lucky. I had never heard of the winery, their shiraz is a genuine Heathcote delight

Wine Of The Year NV Morris Tokay Old Premium Rare

I didn't drink many reds that floored me this year, though most potential good 'uns are sitting in cellar sleeping til big wedding anniversary and big birthdays in 2015 & 2016.

As others have stated, December's festivities may change the above list. I hope so, as then they'll have been exceptional!

Cheers,
Avid aka Avid Wino on cellartracker
Cheers,

Blesso

Post by Blesso »

Avid wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster, who loves lists and hence couldn't resist. That said, I'll try to keep it brief.

White Of The Year 2005 Tyrrell's Stevens Semillon. Yum, will get better, but if you several stashed, worth a look now

Red Of The Year 1994 Grange for my birthday

Honourable Mentions
2003 Tahbilk Marsanne 1927 Vines. Needs a serious decant at this stage but simply wonderful.
2012 Grosset Riesling Springvale Watervale

Pleasant Surprise Of The Year 2010 Sanguine Estate Shiraz Progeny from Heathcote. Came to me as a gift from my wine ignoramus brother, who got lucky. I had never heard of the winery, their shiraz is a genuine Heathcote delight

Wine Of The Year NV Morris Tokay Old Premium Rare

I didn't drink many reds that floored me this year, though most potential good 'uns are sitting in cellar sleeping til big wedding anniversary and big birthdays in 2015 & 2016.

As others have stated, December's festivities may change the above list. I hope so, as then they'll have been exceptional!

Cheers,

Hey Avid,
How was the 94 Grange? I have one in the cellar

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

via collins wrote:I'd second Camw here. I expect to drink half my best of the year in the next month, then surface somewhere after Xmas and draw up a best of list.

Ahh, tradition!

Fair point gents, but I have an excuse as I am not coming home this Christmas but rather going to London/Reading, Zagreb and Brugge... while I therefore expect to drink copious quantities of real ale, belgium ale, and.... croatian liquor?? ... I am not sure I will add materially to my best of list this year.

If I do I will solve this quandry with a new category: "Christmas Wine of the Year" 8)
------------------------------------
Sam

Avid

Post by Avid »

Blesso wrote:Hey Avid,
How was the 94 Grange? I have one in the cellar

Entering its prime I think. Extract from my note follows:

Decanted for three hours, then drank over seven. Though sampled a splash after popping the cork. First impression was the way it assaulted my entire tongue with a wall of flavour, second impression was the tremendously long finish. Dark fruits, pepper, spice, dark chocolate, a little mint, sweetly fruited. Very finely structured, exquisite balance.
Cheers,

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

2013 was a year of discovery for me. I tried to expand my horizons into new regions and new varietals, and while my list doesn't always reflects this, plenty of honourable mentions for some eye-opening wines and varieties. I make a best of list in the knowledge that I plan on drinking some good wines over the Xmas, new year period, so I will no doubt have things to add. Some random thoughts at this stage:

Reds in order

2002 Greenock Creek Apricot Block Shiraz - My big eye-opener this year. I wrote a sprawling tasting note back in April when we had this wine - suffice it to say it changed my whole outlook on wine with its transcendental flavours, textures, layering and intensity.

1998 Wynn's John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon - A wine from a competition with my brother (bring the best wine for under $100) he well and truely won. Mine was a 1994 Wendouree Shiraz Malbec FYI. This was another light-bulb wine for me, this time my first quality aged Cabernet, and oh my what a wine to start that journey with! Voluptuous berries, balanced with impeccable structure, tannin and that wonderful savoury tomato leaf character.

2007 Tyrrell's Vat 8 Shiraz - My love of Tyrrell's is no secret to anyone, and they have really entered a golden age with their premium wines. 2007 being a great red year, this wine sits in the middle/early stage of its development, but has a perfect balance of leather, mocha and red fruit that makes it so moreish. I opened this as a surprise bottle for non wine afficionados, all of whom heaped praise on it.

2005 Tyrrell's Vat 6 Pinot Noir - Picked up at the cellar door as part of a wine museum clearout. Great timing for my 6th visit of the year, I picked up two of these, a 2005 4 Acres (being kept for another 20 years but on tasting was INCREDIBLE) and a 2005 Vat 63 Chardonnay Semillon. A wine that defies the notion that Aussie pinot doesn't age particularly well, this wine had cruised through 8 years (with a few left I'd guess) to develop rich strawberry, mushroom and velvety earthen notes. The first bottle was so amazing that we had the second far too early.

2005 Brindabella Hills Shiraz - I have had mixed results with aged Brindabella Hills Shiraz, a case of 2003 I bought at the cellar door had been stored standing upright, and every bottle (5 so far) has been oxidised or just flat. It was a super special ($100 a case) so if I get 3 or 4 drinkable it won't be a total loss. Anyway! The 2005 was a special bottle, as it was the first bottle my wife and I bought at our first vineyard visit after we'd moved in together in Canberra. Strangely enough, a similar flavour profile to the 2007 Vat 8 - leather, spice, and some cool climate pepper. Far more complex than I had imagined though, with some beautifully layered flavours, and exceptional length for a $25 shiraz.

Whites in order

2000 Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon - After opening it smelled and looked of a 1 year old semillon, not a 13 year old. It also had a number of young riesling character, such as granny smith apple and blossom aromas. After asking Chris Tyrrell about this one, he called it an oddity, but still an intrguing Vat 1. Intruiging indeed. This bottle was fresh, vibrant, not at all like an aged semillon, but brilliant in its own right. Had eons left to develop, but was such a rare flavour profile, I am sad I don't have any more! I will be scouring auction sites!

2003 Brokenwood ILR Semillon - Right in the zone, perfectly poised between primary fruit characters of lemon and pea-pod, and the rich, aged characteristics of honey and toast. Prominent acid, focus, line and intensity all in abundance.

2003 Tahbilk 1927 Vines Marsanne - Again, surprisingly fresh and vital. Oak was barely noticeable until the wine warmed significantly in the glass. A real moreish wine, honeysuckle and apple, years ahead of it. So good I went back to the bottle shop after a glass to buy the rest of the bottles in stock.

2012 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling - Goes without saying that this wine is pretty special. I like my rieslings young, and this one delivered on its promise. Twangy acidity, bright citrus flavours and wonderful minerality.

2012 Nick O'Leary White Rocks Riesling - So intense and tart, it was like sucking on a fresh cut lemon. The real surprise was the balancing acidity and fruit intensity that battled the sour characters all the way down, and long after the wine was gone. A real 'action' wine that has so much character and so much promise.

Honourable Mentions

2012 Four Winds Sangiovese

2012 Collector Rose Red City Sangiovese

2005 Greenock Creek Cabernet Sauvignon

2004 House of Arras Grand Vintage

2008 V. Sattui Old Vine Crow Ridge Zinfandel

2011 Josef Chromy Chardonnay

The wines I have set aside from the Xmas break are:

1999 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz

2002 Brokenwood Graveyard Shiraz

2002 Kalleske Greenock Creek Shiraz

2005 Moutard 6 Cepages Brut Reserve
www.vinographic.com

Avid

Post by Avid »

dan_smee wrote:2003 Tahbilk 1927 Vines Marsanne - Again, surprisingly fresh and vital. Oak was barely noticeable until the wine warmed significantly in the glass. A real moreish wine, honeysuckle and apple, years ahead of it. So good I went back to the bottle shop after a glass to buy the rest of the bottles in stock.

That made me chuckle, as I felt the same and did the same. And seeing as we're both in Canberra, I can count myself lucky that we must've gone to different bottle shops!
Cheers,

Milan

Post by Milan »

scribbler wrote:From one special dinner
1990 Trimbach Clos st hune Riesling - perfect
1995 Guigal La Landonne- complex, will mature gracefully for a long time
1989 Ch D'yquem - there is a reason this is at the top of the tree....
1970 Fonseca

1989 Chave Hermitage
NV Morris 120 anniversary very old tawny port; love the style of Morris, usually the tokay, but this was awesome

Guigal do such great wines...

Pretty amazing to see those wines in one sitting at a dinner though!

They had a dinner night at Aria in Sydney a few months ago...

Milan

Post by Milan »

mjs wrote:
Milan wrote:This is tough.

We're talking wines that are nearly 50 years old and they are still a pleasure to drink. Not many other Aus labels have that track record.

This is true.

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

My best wines of 2012 have all been white. Firstly I had a sensational bottle of 1996 Tahbilk Marsanne which served to remind me that while I continue to seek out new and exciting flavours sometimes it is the old standards which are the stand outs. That also applies to my second favourite woty which was a bottle of 2002 Leasingham Bin 7 Riesling which I shared with some friends recently, who were all similarly impressed. My third favourite wine was also a riesling but that's where the similarity ends, the 2009 Dr Loosen Wehlenuhr Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett was simply amazing and has since caused quite an expansion in the German component of my cellar.

In a slightly different context I had a bottle of 2005 Mount Pleasant Rosehill Shiraz last weekend. While I enjoyed the three whites listed above more, I was still very impressed. I was also relieved because over the last 6 years I have cellared almost two dozen bottles of the Rosehill and OP&OH, from several vintages, largely on a hunch that they sounded like they might, when mature, be wines I'd enjoy. I now look forward to drinking my '05 OP&OH's and others over the next decade or two.