TN: 92 de Bortoli Noble One + 92 Henschke

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Baby Chickpea

TN: 92 de Bortoli Noble One + 92 Henschke

Post by Baby Chickpea »

I always keep a few bottles of old Aussie botrytis wines around for my dad who loved this style (and IÂ’m not entirely immune to it either). I find Aussie dessert styles age much more gracefully than their dry white counterparts.

<b>1992 Henschke Noble Rot Riesling</b>
Light gold colour. Nose is full of rich raisins, apricots and lovely fragrant and flowery aromas. Very good length and balance. Residual acidity finishes off the palate and balances the obvious sweetness. Lovely botrytis flavours of honey, apricot peel, mandarins and passionfruit. Not too densely sweet. Surprisingly bloody good.
<b>Very Good 17.5 / 20</b>

<b>1992 de Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon</b>
Deep gold and obviously more evolved than the Henschke. Rich and intensely sweet on the nose with a hint of alcohol heat. Palate is very, very rich, dense and concentrated. Almost too rich (you wouldnÂ’t want to keep it longer) with caramelised fruits, Tokay aromas, toffee, unctuous honey. This is to my palate cloying as it lacks the requisite acid to shield the sweetness and provide the backbone. Far bigger and richer than the Henschke and not as seductive. Of course, my dad loved it (it can never be too sweet for him!).
<b>Good 16.5 / 20</b>
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Billy Bolonski

Post by Billy Bolonski »

Nice Combination.

What were the formats? 375ml or 750ml?

I ask as I have had some wide variance in my 92 Noble Ones. The large format seem to be much more consistant. I have had a couple of really over the hill half bottles and some that would live for another ten years.

Have you tried any other older Oz stickies lately?

Billy B

merlot 128

Post by merlot 128 »

I have had a Tatsing or
82 noble one
81 Hopler Noble Reserve
76 d'Yquem

The noble on look very good well balanced and lots of flavor left should go another 15 years.

to our suprise the hopler looked the best and the second time i have seen it beat d'yquem in a blind line up

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Billy - 375ml format. I have drink many older Stickies over last 12 months - Tollana Botrytis 87 and 90 (still got some left), Petaluma Essence from 1988, Noble One from 82, 84, 88 (the 84 is absolutely stunning - i still have half a case in 750ml fomat), and many others I can't remember.

Merlot 128 - I don't know the Hopler but the 76 Y'Quem is one of the greatest stickies I have ever had (prob the 3rd best Yquem I have had after the 1975 and 1990).
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Post by Guest »

The Hopler is a Odd wine that was imported into perth with a container of Trummer Pils form Austria. I have never seen it again and as i bought all i could get in Perth I don't think it got to the east coast. The 1981 Noble Res was there current release at the time and has been rate as good as d'Yquem. They also make a Troken and a eiswin. I think i will buy some soon to see what they are like.

The agent who brought these in will not be bringing anymore over as he now only sells Beer.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Seriously underrated the Henschke stickies.

The Noble Rot semillon especially. I buy the wine religiously, in preference to Noble One, from the exceptional Eden Valley vintages.

Nice notes BC.

DaveL

Post by DaveL »

For those Perthites that are interested, I was looking for Argentinian Malbec's in the Leederville ReStore and noticed that they have 4 375ml bottles of the 81 Hopler in stock. I remember drinking one of these about 2 years ago and loved it.
Will definitely try it again when I get the chance.
Ground control to Major Tom, take your protein pills and put your helmet on.

David Lole

Re: TN: 92 de Bortoli Noble One + 92 Henschke

Post by David Lole »

Baby Chickpea wrote:I always keep a few bottles of old Aussie botrytis wines around for my dad who loved this style (and IÂ’m not entirely immune to it either). I find Aussie dessert styles age much more gracefully than their dry white counterparts.

<b>1992 Henschke Noble Rot Riesling</b>
Light gold colour. Nose is full of rich raisins, apricots and lovely fragrant and flowery aromas. Very good length and balance. Residual acidity finishes off the palate and balances the obvious sweetness. Lovely botrytis flavours of honey, apricot peel, mandarins and passionfruit. Not too densely sweet. Surprisingly bloody good.
<b>Very Good 17.5 / 20</b>

<b>1992 de Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon</b>
Deep gold and obviously more evolved than the Henschke. Rich and intensely sweet on the nose with a hint of alcohol heat. Palate is very, very rich, dense and concentrated. Almost too rich (you wouldnÂ’t want to keep it longer) with caramelised fruits, Tokay aromas, toffee, unctuous honey. This is to my palate cloying as it lacks the requisite acid to shield the sweetness and provide the backbone. Far bigger and richer than the Henschke and not as seductive. Of course, my dad loved it (it can never be too sweet for him!).
<b>Good 16.5 / 20</b>

Stephen and Prue excelled with their dry Eden Valley Riesling in 1992. I've drank a case of the museum release over the last two years (all gone, unfortunately) and rates with the '90 Eden Leonay & '91 Eden and Watervale Leonay as some of the best aged Aussie Riesling I've had the pleasure of drinking. It's, therefore, no surprise, Danny, their botrytis sticky rates so well against the Noble One. Thanks for the note.