How do you enjoy your wine?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
bdellabosca

Re: How do you enjoy your wine?

Post by bdellabosca »

Last edited by bdellabosca on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griff

Post by griff »

People, we are better than this. Forgive and forget. Which are, incidentally, two reasons to enjoy a glass of fermented grape juice ;)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Miamimi

Post by Miamimi »

Drink your wine at the proper temperature.
Drink your wine at its proper age.
Be wary of wine flaws.
Drink your wine with food.
when you end can smoke habanos more info here https://www.cubancigarsbest.com/
Last edited by Miamimi on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjs

Post by mjs »

C'mon guys, lighten up the lot of you!

Ok, maybe there were't many serious responses first up, but what do you expect, piss tends to get taken here

We can't afford to lessen the participation here and on other fora. IMO, there has been noticeable drop off in contributions here and elsewhere, many regulars seem to have faded away. We all enjoy wine, keep up the contributions, sometimes serious, sometimes irreverent, sometimes hilarious. All welcome. Great to share experiences.

Now, seriously back on topic. Leaving half a bottle for later on .... wtf??!!

Ok, seriously this time .... glass or two with the wife most nights, ok make that three glasses. Just got a cheapie Leconfield 2012 Coonawarra shiraz(!) reject from the international market at present.

Riedel Vinum Cabernet glasses are the weapon of choice .. they get hammered. Riedel Vinum Chianti glasses for white. Who remembers going to Iain Hewitson's Fleurie restaurant in the 80's to experience big wine glasses then!!??
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

timmspe

Post by timmspe »

I was hoping that this thread would remain in the past. One might worry about kicking the hornet's nest, but it seems like most of the heat has blown out of it. For what it's worth, I've started planning food, cheese and wine in combination, with regular visits to the Adelaide Central Market. The cheese has been a highlight in its own right, and I think I will be eating a lot more of it in future. Had a fantastic BBQ Asian prawn and Gewurztraminer combination the other day, and they worked really well together. But I also like to have a glass of two out of every bottle with a clean palate. I've also started encouraging my partner to finish an entire glass out of each bottle, with the hope that I can cultivate a regular drinking buddy, and we're gradually migrating from white to red with the hope that we might hit on something (the Lawson's Hill Gewurz was a hit). I can't finish a bottle in one go without falling asleep before the end of it, or if I do I'm too far gone to appreciate it. I'm a bit of a lightweight :)

...and I only drink on fruit days :mrgreen:

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

Seeing as it is back again - will try an answer to the OP this time. :D

Drinking only Fruit or Flower days of course... :mrgreen:

My opinions:
- oversize / thin glasses with good balance and a nice stem
- at least the first few tastes without food
- better shares with someone(s) (interesting to get other impressions)
- needs to be quiet (away from screaming kids!)
- afternoon / evening (morning drinking = equals asleep by lunchtime)
- preferably with a view (need to pass the time between drinking)

I've had very average wines in amazing settings (generally when on holiday!) that I remember very fondly and very good wines that I didn't 'enjoy' drinking as they were out of plasting cups and it was noisy / hot / rushed, etc... My general view is that if you can't get the environment right to appreciate a good wine may as well drink a cheap quaffer as the experience will probably be about the same!

:mrgreen:

Milan

Post by Milan »

I like my wine through a drip. Straight to business.

Seriously though, I couldn't think of anything more depressing than drinking alone.

Wine should be shared and enjoyed as an experience with your friends and/or partner.

With that said, I only ever drink when out at dinner with friends and/or my partner.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Milan wrote:Seriously though, I couldn't think of anything more depressing than drinking alone.

I must be a depressing soul !!! In fact I plan to depress myself tonight with a bottle of 2004 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne... :lol:

daz

Post by daz »

Mike Hawkins wrote:
Milan wrote:Seriously though, I couldn't think of anything more depressing than drinking alone.

I must be a depressing soul !!! In fact I plan to depress myself tonight with a bottle of 2004 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne... :lol:

:lol:

Milan

Post by Milan »

Mike Hawkins wrote:

Celebrating opening the bottle?

daz

Post by daz »

Milan wrote:I like my wine through a drip. Straight to business.

Seriously though, I couldn't think of anything more depressing than drinking alone.

Wine should be shared and enjoyed as an experience with your friends and/or partner.

With that said, I only ever drink when out at dinner with friends and/or my partner.

:? :?: I enjoy feeling depressed :!:

sparky

Post by sparky »

Milan wrote:I like my wine through a drip. Straight to business.

That's why I have pets. Between the dog, the cat and the goldfish, they ensure that I never drink alone... :)

Although the dog's more of a beer drinker.

timmspe

Post by timmspe »

sparky wrote:Although the dog's more of a beer drinker.

:D

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

timmspe wrote:As the only person in the house that drinks wine, and with few acquaintances that enjoy wine, I am often left with the onerous task of finishing a bottle independently. When I do open one up, I normally have a glass or two per night until it's gone or spoiled. If I am particularly concerned about longevity I pour some off in to a 375 mL bottle to the rim and consider storing it in the fridge. I normally don't do anything too poetic while drinking it, and just ensure that I am in the right place and frame of mind to appreciate it, whatever that may be. But I am interested to hear what you do.

Do you drink with company? Mainly ever with food? Or perhaps you lounge pensively in a leather chair in front of an open fire?

How do you enjoy your wine?

Mostly upright, because I don't take that sort of thing lying down.

In general, with food - only provisos being that with spicy food (Mrs CE's pasta sauces, Indian, etc) you have to be careful to have something that is not too high in the tannin stakes (or you simply cannot taste the wine). Pinot with spanish mackeral is also good, as is strong cheese (vintage, washed rind, blue) with a botrytis riesling/semillon. Wine by itself is OK, but only on a full stomach. I never get to drink alone, but our Samoyeds love beer, wine (preferring whites) and scotch (single malt only) and cognac. But it is allowable to have a glass of wine at dinner if you are not in company. For those worried about their livers, they only do fingertip tasting - but they will come back for a second or third finger(tip) if it is offered.
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

daz

Post by daz »

I enjoy any time I wish to, outside of work hours.