Noon switched to Screw Caps too

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
ufo

Noon switched to Screw Caps too

Post by ufo »

Just received the mailer. Drew call the quits on cork too, good on him :D

ticklenow1

Re: Noon switched to Screw Caps too

Post by ticklenow1 »

I've had a good run with Noon's corks (touch wood!), but certainly a good move in my eyes. I actually have a 2004 Craneford Cabernet in both Cork and Screwcap, so I'll have to do a blind tasting with a group to see if we can pick the difference. I know when I turned up to Charles Melton once, Charlie was doing some blind tastings of wines he'd put into both closures a few years earlier. Sadly they wouldn't let me have a taste.

I don't want to start the whole cork debate up again but good on you Drew!!! :wink:

Now if only Rockford would follow suit.......... :roll:

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

I'm actually surprised Rockford hasn't changed since I think they only export to Switzerland now...

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Polymer wrote:I'm actually surprised Rockford hasn't changed since I think they only export to Switzerland now...

I think Rockford wines are still being imported in this part of Canada though I believe they are a hard sell according to one retailer I spoke to. Besides, perhaps Rockford still prefers cork.

Noon is also available here but the three red wines listed are 15.5%, 16%, and 16.5% alcohol, a level I generally consider appropriate only for Amarone. Perhaps they need the screwcaps to preserve "freshness".

Mahmoud.

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

Her hermmm ... think Rockford still exports big time to UK - thankfully.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I did speak to the man that matters at Rockford earlier in the year and I can't see them going to screw cap any time soon, judging by his comments. They do use screw cap on the Frugal Farmer though. The quality of Rockford's corks did improve immensely after about the 2006 vintage. They seem to be less soaked and a bit longer as well. A crown seal on the Black Shiraz would be nice as well. Gee I've had some corked bottles of that and corks that were just shot.

2 of my favourite wineries have now switched in Noon and Greenock Creek so only Rockford to go......

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

ticklenow1 wrote: The quality of Rockford's corks did improve immensely after about the 2006 vintage. They seem to be less soaked and a bit longer as well.

I have always suspected that Australian wineries have skimped on corks, they are often shorter than equivalent wines from other countries and frequently plain and unmarked. Cheap corks translates into poor quality and this I think is the reason why the anti-cork sentiment has become a mantra in Australian circles. Even the cheap as chips French desert wine that I had the other day ($12) had the producers name, region, vintage and chateau on the cork, all on a short stubby-looking cork.

Cheers...................Mahmoud.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
Polymer wrote:I'm actually surprised Rockford hasn't changed since I think they only export to Switzerland now...

I think Rockford wines are still being imported in this part of Canada though I believe they are a hard sell according to one retailer I spoke to. Besides, perhaps Rockford still prefers cork.

Noon is also available here but the three red wines listed are 15.5%, 16%, and 16.5% alcohol, a level I generally consider appropriate only for Amarone. Perhaps they need the screwcaps to preserve "freshness".

Mahmoud.

Sorry, should've been more specific...For both UK and Canada they still get Basket Press? If so that is cool...

Noon is definitely a bigger wine style...but still great value at release prices...and they've kept their prices down too...

gap

Post by gap »

untitled.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Lol, I shouldn't admit this but that reminds me of the first time I encountered one of Henschke's early vinoloks, without knowing they had changed seals I attempted to stick a corkscrew into it.

I did have an excuse at least.... I initially thought the tricky buggers had simply done a Torbreck (ie. stuck one of those little black plastic circular inserts on the top of the cork, and that the transparent glass lip was just the fat lip of the bottle).

The two look remarkably similar after a few drinks. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeff

Post by jeff »

Good luck with your 2004 Cranefords. I did a similar thing recently with 2002 Penfolds Thomas Hyland Cabernets. Served blind from decanters, the screw cap was in excellent condition and scored very well. The cork was so badly oxidized, it was undrinkable. Other 2002 wines, with corks, served that night were all in good shape. All had come from the same quite good cellaring conditions.
Cheers
Jeff

LawrenceM

Post by LawrenceM »

Has anyone tried any of the 2012 Noon's? Keen to hear your thoughts.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

LawrenceM wrote:Has anyone tried any of the 2012 Noon's? Keen to hear your thoughts.

Who amongst us will take one for the team?

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

griff

Post by griff »

Happy to oblige :) Had an Eclipse last weekend. Had for me that distinct brandy snap oak? overlaying the blackberry fruit. Quite fresh despite the alcohol of 15.9% Not sure if it would improve however. Very Good for me but the better half preferred it over the 2010 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz which I would have rated Excellent with potential.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

griff wrote:Happy to oblige :) Had an Eclipse last weekend. Had for me that distinct brandy snap oak? overlaying the blackberry fruit. Quite fresh despite the alcohol of 15.9% Not sure if it would improve however. Very Good for me but the better half preferred it over the 2010 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz which I would have rated Excellent with potential.

cheers

Carl

You're a team player Carl!

I thought the 2010 had some cellaring potential, 5-10 maybe. Might have to drink one of my three "to fond out".

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis