Old World vs. New World Pinot Sydney Offline.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Hacker

Re: Old World vs. New World Pinot Sydney Offline.

Post by Hacker »

monghead wrote:So should I bring 2 bottles of the same wine, or as present, a single bottle of 2 different wines?

Just bring what you were for the original one table.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Andy.L

Post by Andy.L »

Hey all,

a long time lurker here, and just wandering if there is a spot left, I will be honoured to join for the night, instead of just
reading of another wonderful event that has just happened on the board the next day :D

Cheers
Andy

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Andy.L wrote:Hey all,

a long time lurker here, and just wandering if there is a spot left, I will be honoured to join for the night, instead of just
reading of another wonderful event that has just happened on the board the next day :D

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy, welcome aboard and great to have you along!

markg

Post by markg »

I am sure it is here somewhere, just cannot see it with a quick scan, but what time on Friday night ?
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

David..might i suggest updating the orginal post with current details?

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Good idea Micheal.

Righto....Rocket Restaurant, cnr Help and Railway Sts, Chatswood. Booking from 6.30pm, in the partitioned off end room so we can make more noise - hear that Adair!! :wink: Two tables booked, one for the original ten people who nominated, and another for what looks like about six, but that can grow a bit if needed.

http://www.rocketrestaurant.com.au/

Don't forget the Burgundy vs. New World theme, which encapsulates chardonnay as well as pinot. As there are two tables, each table will run their own tastings as they like. Perhaps some blind matchings which can be worked out on the night.

First table is Hacker, Dave Vino, Michael R, TiggerK, Danny, ufo, Monghead, Adair, Polymer, Mivvy.
I think the second table looks like Markg, Markg's friend, Carl, 9redpens, and Andy.L. Have I forgotten anyone? More are welcome! Just post below....

Otherwise see you all Friday night!
David M.

Andy.L

Post by Andy.L »

Andy[/quote]
Hi Andy, welcome aboard and great to have you along![/quote]

Thank you David, looking forward to this Friday night, and meeting you all :D . Just wandering though, will the night start at 6.30 pm sharp? Since I finish work at 6 pm, and most likely will be there before 7 pm. Otherwise, I will need to arrange to leave work earlier, please let me know.

Also, with the theme of Burgundy ( is 2nd table also doing this?), I've just begun my journey last year, and in the cellar, earliest vintage I've is '08 ( may or may not be in dumb phase at the moment), will this be ok? Otherwise, will be more than happy to bring '10 vintage. I do realise the 5 years bottle age requirement.

Cheers
Andy

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Andy, no hard and fast rules here. Most people will be there by 6.30, but if you get there late, no problem. I am hoping the second table is also following the theme, but it is up to those participants. As regards the age of the burgundy, '08 or '10 what ever you want to bring. I'm sure there will be a younger New World pinot it can be put up against.

griff

Post by griff »

I'll keep in theme on the second table. An older red and a young white. Very nervous about cellaring White Burgundies beyond 5 years and don't have any older Aussie chardonnays sadly.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

dingozegan

Post by dingozegan »

If there's still space on Table 2, I'd be keen to join. Can't garantee I'll be in a position tomorrow to bring a bottle that fits the theme, but it sounds like some on Table 2 aren't anyway - hope that's OK.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone tomorrow. Have a couple of whites to try.
2007 Domaine Ramonet Les Ruchottes Chassagne Montrachet.
1998 Penfolds Bin 98A

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

dingozegan wrote:If there's still space on Table 2, I'd be keen to join

Awesome!
Hopefully see you tomorrow mate :D

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Michael R wrote:
dingozegan wrote:If there's still space on Table 2, I'd be keen to join

Awesome!
Hopefully see you tomorrow mate :D

Thats perfect! I booked for 6 people, now we have 6. :) But I can book for more if others want to come.

griff

Post by griff »

More people coming and I found a white on theme in the cellar. Yay!

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

griff

Post by griff »

Hi again,

Is there room for one extra place on the second table please Hacker? I have a friend that would like to come as well. He will be bringing a white.

cheers

Carl

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

No probs, I'll arrange it tomorrow. Maybe I should make it 8 in case there is one more again....

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I can't remember, did we need to bring our own glassware?

I'm also staying nearby at Mantra if anyone needs to stash luggage/freshen up/quick change of clothes/might even have a cheeky Pinot beforehand.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Suggest we bring our own glassware if possible. They have OK glasses, but from memory they're mostly Bordeaux style, and either way, wanting 2 or 3 each will be pushing it, so if most of us bring our own, all the better.

I'm bringing 2 Burgundy glasses and will grab one of theirs if needed for a 'watcher'.

Can I also suggest people try and bring cash, nothing worse than the 10 credit cards coming out at the end of the night.

P.S will txt you tmrw Dave. :D

Andy.L

Post by Andy.L »

TiggerK wrote:Suggest we bring our own glassware if possible. They have OK glasses, but from memory they're mostly Bordeaux style, and either way, wanting 2 or 3 each will be pushing it, so if most of us bring our own, all the better.

I'm bringing 2 Burgundy glasses and will grab one of theirs if needed for a 'watcher'.

Can I also suggest people try and bring cash, nothing worse than the 10 credit cards coming out at the end of the night.

P.S will txt you tmrw Dave. :D

Thanks for the head up TiggerK, I will be bringing 2 Burgundy glasses as well then :D

To the participants of table 2, I will be bringing a red and white Burgundy for the night, and do we want champers to start with? :twisted:

Cheers
Andy

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

I have arranged 1 white and 2 red glasses each, but as mentioned they are more the Bordeaux style. So please bring your own if you wish.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

I won't have a way to transport glassware but if someone isn't using the provided glassware from the restaurant, I'm slow with the flow so I'll snag some of theirs :P.

griff

Post by griff »

Andy.L wrote:
To the participants of table 2, I will be bringing a red and white Burgundy for the night, and do we want champers to start with? :twisted:

Cheers
Andy

Champagne? Disgusting stuff. Spawn of the devil. But if you twist my arm I suppose I could manage a sip :roll: :wink:

cheers

Carl

9redpens

Post by 9redpens »

Hey Dudes,

When Mark complianed about the possible all male affair I strongly encouraged Lauren to join us, so i'm plus one if possible.

Hacker, hopfully 8 is OK and thanks for organising.

Table two is where its at with
Mark, Mark's +1, Griff1, Griff2, 9redpens, 9RP+1, Andy.L, and a vegan dingo by the sounds of it.

9redpens

Post by 9redpens »

Oh, and my wines.

I have a very tasty 1991 Limestone ridge to go with marks St George and
a 2001 Temple Bruer Reserve Cab Sav Petit verdot (No idea about this wine)
and a frogmore iced riesling!!!!

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Msg for Mark Wickman....(not sure if you saw my latest PM)

Given the 2nd table has an open theme, do you want to just drink the 91 lindamans as orginally planned?
Had a quick chat with Tim, and he's got your St George magnum all ready to go.
Just let me know before 5pm by mobile (number in my pm) if you'd still prefer to swap.

Thanks
Michael

Mivvy

Post by Mivvy »

I may be there a little late - crazy work day. Will not be able to bring my own glasses, so will be making do with whatever the restaurant provides.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

9redpens wrote:Hey Dudes,

When Mark complianed about the possible all male affair I strongly encouraged Lauren to join us, so i'm plus one if possible.

Mark, Mark's +1, Griff1, Griff2, 9redpens, 9RP+1, Andy.L, and a vegan dingo by the sounds of it.

Second table confirmed for 8 now. All good. And champagne glasses for them. Snobs.

Andy.L

Post by Andy.L »

Hacker wrote:
9redpens wrote:Hey Dudes,

Second table confirmed for 8 now. All good. And champagne glasses for them. Snobs.

Yay, full house tonight :)

Champagne is the devil, David. Pretty sure you don't want to be a part of it :twisted:
Beside, I am in enough 'sin', twisting Carl's arm to have a sip, don't want to add another on my list that I have to answered for.
Although if a glass of champagne magically appeared in your hand, and through none of my doing, i don't see any problem with it :lol:

Cheers
Andy

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Andy.L wrote:
Although if a glass of champagne magically appeared in your hand, and through none of my doing, i don't see any problem with it :lol:

Cheers
Andy

Let me think about that....

Ok.

Blue

Post by Blue »

Michael R wrote:2007 Domaine Ramonet Les Ruchottes Chassagne Montrachet.

Oh wow, one of my favourite white burgundy 1er cru, vineyard and producer. Should be a treat, very generous!