Old World vs. New World Pinot Sydney Offline.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dave vino

Re: Old World vs. New World Pinot Sydney Offline.

Post by dave vino »

Put me down as first reserve. Looking at the attendance list it will be mostly old world I dare say. :wink:

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Yeah I know what you mean Dave, it's looking like a Kiwi Tim vs the Burg army! I'm going to vote for Blind Tasting for at least one flight!! I think blind is the true test, but I'm happy to lose if the other wines are great!!

As I mentioned Hacker, put me down for a white and a red Kiwi. Neudorf Moutere Chard and Felton Rd Calvert at this stage, but subject to change.

monghead

Post by monghead »

I will bring 2 reds for now.
Let me know if you guys want them served blind, of if you want to know beforehand what they are...

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

All my Burgs are in the US so it'll be either an AU Pinot or NZ Pinot or both from me...

ufo

Post by ufo »

I'll bring Mornington Estate and a mystery one. Would love to go blind all the way and see how each one stacks up against the others.

ufo

Post by ufo »

ufo wrote:I'll bring Mornington Estate and a mystery one. Would love to go blind all the way and see how each one stacks up against the others.

Silly me, one is not mystery anymore.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

dave vino wrote:Put me down as first reserve. Looking at the attendance list it will be mostly old world I dare say. :wink:

Dave, it's your lucky day! Mrs. Hacker has magnanimously agreed to step aside, especially as there were no other ladies coming along. Lets me off the hook too!

Lets all declare what wines we are bringing in advance. Perhaps we can make up some semi blind challenges on the night once we know what's what.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Adair

Post by Adair »

Hacker wrote:Lets all declare what wines we are bringing in advance. Perhaps we can make up some semi blind challenges on the night once we know what's what.

Yep, agreed.
I think single blind would be good.
Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

monghead

Post by monghead »

I'll bring one old, and one new world Pinot:
- 2001 Bass Philip Premium
- 2002 Bouchard L'enfant Jesus

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Hacker wrote:Just recapping:
Hacker
Dave Vino
Michael R
TiggerK
Danny
ufo
Monghead
Adair
Polymer
Mivvy

Danny just emailed me to say he is bringing two bottles and will serve them blind. Knowing his cellar they will be a treat! Can't wait! I won't list everyone's bottles now, but mention them if you want to beforehand by posting, and we can make pairings - perhaps bagging some for blind tastings to test our terroir skills! :twisted:

Seems this is going to turn out to be a Burgapalooza of a night!

Mivvy

Post by Mivvy »

I'll bring a Bouchard Genevrieres 06 for a white. For a Pinot either a Coldsream Hills 05 Reserve or Bouchard Marconnets 05.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

A quick recap update.... looking like a generous and high standard of wines!

Hacker - Red Burg

Dave Vino - ??

Michael R - White Burg??

TiggerK - Red New World and White New World

Danny - ??

ufo - Red New World & Mystery ?

Monghead - Red Burg and Red New World

Adair - ??

Polymer - Red New World (& Maybe White New World)

Mivvy - Red NW OR Burg and White Burg

Adair

Post by Adair »

Hahaha...trying to get Danny to tell you his wines before the evening. Good luck. Just enjoy. :-)
Wine is bottled poetry.

markg

Post by markg »

Hey chaps.

I'm in Sydney for the weekend and at a loose end Friday night. I know it is last minute but if you can fit myself and a friend in I have a spare magnum of 1990 Cabernet (I think its St George) floating around Sydney that I can bring along (Sorry, would have sent a Pinot over if I had foreknowledge). If it is a bit late then not a problem, I understand completely. Oh.. is it an all male gathering ?
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

griff

Post by griff »

markg wrote:Hey chaps.

I'm in Sydney for the weekend and at a loose end Friday night. I know it is last minute but if you can fit myself and a friend in I have a spare magnum of 1990 Cabernet (I think its St George) floating around Sydney that I can bring along (Sorry, would have sent a Pinot over if I had foreknowledge). If it is a bit late then not a problem, I understand completely. Oh.. is it an all male gathering ?

Hi Mark,

If no room spare then happy to meet up. Could extend the offer to anyone else keen? Can't have you in Sydney at a loose end :)

cheers,

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

markg

Post by markg »

Thanks Carl, that's real nice of you.

I probably shouldn't impose myself on these guys, I won't have any Pinot with me (I already shipped my wine over for the weekend)and it sounds like an all male group, may be awkward bringing a female friend along :)
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Not my tasting but since Hacker hasn't responded, I'll go out on a limb and say Hacker and I discussed it last Friday at our dinner and from memory he was very keen to have you along after he found out you were in town.

Don't worry about the style of wine you are bringing, as once the Pinot tasting bit is finished, then the 'backups' come out and it's every man for himself until we get tossed out of the restaurant :D

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Hi Mark,

Would be really great to meet you mate. Just in case expanding the numbers is an issue, perhaps we could see if we can even get a few more interested and have a second table?
You and your +1, Carl, perhaps Hackers wife might reconsider, a couple more Grape mates, plus any more lurkers etc...I think not impossible to fill 2 tables of 7 or 8 people.
If both tables keep to the Burg theme, I could even offer you a mag of 07 jadot Hospice DB Corton GC for your St George. Maybe a seperate theme fills the 2nd table quicker, whatever works really.

Anyway, just some thoughts in case expanding the existing table is tricky, I think it's best for Hacker to decide what works best at his tasting.

Cheers
Michael

griff

Post by griff »

Whatever works. If no table spare then we can find alternative digs.
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

dave vino wrote:Not my tasting but since Hacker hasn't responded, I'll go out on a limb and say Hacker and I discussed it last Friday at our dinner and from memory he was very keen to have you along after he found out you were in town.

Don't worry about the style of wine you are bringing, as once the Pinot tasting bit is finished, then the 'backups' come out and it's every man for himself until we get tossed out of the restaurant :D

Sorry guys, preoccupied today with things...no problem Mark, welcome. And now things are getting big, why not a second table. I don't want it to be my night, it's a night for everyone, so provided we stick to the theme more can come, just let it be known here.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Only problem is the pours with 16-20 people you are in magnum territory.

Not sure how 2 tables would work if not magnums, do you just drink the wines of your table? As 16-20 people on a single 750ml bottle wouldn't be worth it to be honest.

Adair

Post by Adair »

dave vino wrote:Only problem is the pours with 16-20 people you are in magnum territory.

Not sure how 2 tables would work if not magnums, do you just drink the wines of your table? As 16-20 people on a single 750ml bottle wouldn't be worth it to be honest.

Agreed. I would like to taste my wine... I only bought in 750mL
Wine is bottled poetry.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

I assumed the second table would obviously require wines are only shared within each table so pours aren't compromised....

Doubt anyone would fancy a dribble of anything. Certainly I wouldn't.

Edit...have also noticed on uk wine forums & beserkers that seperate tables with no sharing wines between tables is a very successful format.

markg

Post by markg »

Thank you all so much chaps, I appreciate the hospitality.

A second table sounds like a good idea, I am happy to go along with the crowd regarding bottles and/or to exchange magnums with Michael or whatever.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

All sounding good! My 2c is that if we can get two tables of 8-10 each, we can either do a single bottle on one table only, or if some people want to bring a magnum or two bottles of the same wine, and those who do are divided between the two tables we could end up with some fun times and varied tastings indeed.

Table One - Pinot & Chardonnay - New World vs Old World - ideally at least 5 years age

Hacker, Dave Vino, TiggerK, Michael R, Adair, Danny, ufo, Monghead, Polymer, Mivvy. (10)

Table Two - Just a good bottle of something theme?

Mark, Mark's +1, Carl, 9redpens, ????........

If Table 2 are keen, suggest Carl or someone contacts the restaurant ASAP and check availability for an adjacent table of 4-8 people on Fri 23rd ? They do have the semi-private room, but doubt it's big enough for two tables.

P.S I've found an unspoken rule at many tastings is that if it's your wine, you're welcome to a larger pour of it.
Last edited by TiggerK on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

9redpens

Post by 9redpens »

I could be persuaded. By the time I saw this thread it was full and I didn’t want to throw things out of kilter.

I’ve been wanting to experience the Rocket frivolity for some time, it’s certainly been chalking up decent form!!!!!!

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Nice one Daniel!
Double bonus for the taxi banter on the way home :-)

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

All good for Rocket to accommodate a second table in the end room. So there is a table of ten, as TiggerK mentioned, and another table of indeterminable size as yet, but I indicated to the restaurant 6-8 people.

So there is still room for more!

griff

Post by griff »

Excellent. Thanks for organising. I'll bring along a Corton to match. Might bring a white as well.

cheers

Carl

monghead

Post by monghead »

So should I bring 2 bottles of the same wine, or as present, a single bottle of 2 different wines?