Winter Warmers - fortifieds

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Gavin Trott

Winter Warmers - fortifieds

Post by Gavin Trott »

What are your favourite fortified wines for winter, and why? These can be commercial, or small and exclusive. Tasting notes or impressions would be great!

A short start, for commercial ports I cannot go past the blended Para Liqueur Port, love the style, love the reliability and love the affrodability also.

In the unusual or exclusive class, Dutschke 22 yr Old Tawny is my new favourite, its fabulous.
regards

Gavin Trott

markg

Re: Winter Warmers - fortifieds

Post by markg »

Gavin Trott wrote:What are your favourite fortified wines for winter, and why? These can be commercial, or small and exclusive. Tasting notes or impressions would be great!

A short start, for commercial ports I cannot go past the blended Para Liqueur Port, love the style, love the reliability and love the affrodability also.

In the unusual or exclusive class, Dutschke 22 yr Old Tawny is my new favourite, its fabulous.

Dutschke fortifieds win my vote. The Tokay is my current favourite.

However, my own keg blend is coming along nicely (one each of port and one of Rutherglen muscat) and improving with each passing month :)
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Gavin Trott wrote:In the unusual or exclusive class, Dutschke 22 yr Old Tawny is my new favourite, its fabulous.

It also my favourite and I've drunk heaps of it recently! I juts bought some more too ...
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

At the moment my favourite would have to be the Kay Bros Amery Old Solera Tawny, which I tried again last week at CD while securing my allocation of 2002 Block 6.

Magnificent concentration of dried apricots, some caramel, toasted walnuts, and finishing with an incredibly long milk chocolate aftertaste. In a region boasting some bloody good fortifieds, this was trumps!

Cheers
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

markg

Post by markg »

n4sir wrote:At the moment my favourite would have to be the Kay Bros Amery Old Solera Tawny, which I tried again last week at CD while securing my allocation of 2002 Block 6.

Magnificent concentration of dried apricots, some caramel, toasted walnuts, and finishing with an incredibly long milk chocolate aftertaste. In a region boasting some bloody good fortifieds, this was trumps!

Cheers
Ian

You spend alot of time at cellar doors 8)
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

michaelw

Post by michaelw »

Gavin Trott wrote:love the affrodability also.

"Affrodability". Is that the Guy Sebastian-ness of the wine?

I love a good Tokay. Baileys Founders Tokay or All Saints (lower end) Tokay are great winter warmers for me. And these are two very affordable winse.
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

brad

Post by brad »

Close to the theme, current late night drinking is the Lustau San Emilio PX and for excellent value the Alvear 1927 PX.

Heading to dinner party tonight with a Lustau for after.

Predicting bear with sore head tomorrow.

Bloody freezing here in MR tonight, even on the coast! :shock:
And gladys save a place for me
On your grapevine
Till i get my own tv show

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

You cant go past the Seppelt Grand Muscat and Tokay, excellent at the price.

Noting the comment on the Dutschkes above: I also tried the Dutschke fortifieds recently and while they are very good, I slightly prefer the Seppelts.

I also have a few VP's lined up: quite a few of thse $5 St Hallett racehorse ports you see at auction - a bit of a lottery, while only about 1 in 3 are good, they are worth it at the price. Also some older Reynella and Seppelt, and a leaking 97 Rockford.

For Tawny port, there aren't many I like that much. The Langmiel (tawny from the 85 vintage only) is a beauty though.

cheers

Andrew

DJ

Post by DJ »

Current Favourite Morris Cellar Reserve Tokay - only available at Cellar door opened my last one at a dinner a month ago and the guest demanded I order a case to split.

Currently open Bullers fine old Muscat - This one doesn't seem quite as good as the last - perhaps been drinking too much of the Seppelt Grand Muscat and it doesn't look quite as good in comparison.

Last year I opened the ocassional Vintage Port and they did quite well over a couple of weeks but 2 about the limit.

David
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Really like the Seppelt DP 90 Tawny. Spicy, dry and elegant.
Also going through a considerable amounts of Single Malts, Laphroaig and Highland Park being my favorites at the moment.