Burgundy Dinner - Bistro Fax

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dave vino

Burgundy Dinner - Bistro Fax

Post by dave vino »

Had a very nice dinner at Bistro Fax (restaurant at the Radisson Blu Hotel) which allows byo, which should be applauded. (http://www.bistrofax.com/). We decided on 2 entrees, main, dessert for a quasi dego menu. Service from the sommellier was very good all night he was very attentive, professional and helpful throughout and nothing phased him. The food was good and the bill came out to about $130 each for 4 courses, sparkling water, tips and bottle service and I will definitely be going back for our next dinner.

Line up was...

Krug MV
1986 Blain-Gagnard Caillerets, Chassagne-Montrachet Premier Cru
2004 Olivier Leflaive Corton-Charlemange Grand Cru
1975 Leon Violland Chambolle-Musigny
1988 Marquis d'Angerville Champans, Volnay Premier Cru
2000 DRC Grands Echezeaux Grand Cru
2001 Dujac Les Gruenchers, Chambolle-Musigny Premier Cru
2002 Armand Rousseau Les Cazetiers Premier Cru
2000 Armand Rousseau Mazy Chambertin Grand Cru
2001 Rieussec Sauternes

We also had a couple of NZ ring-ins that were both showing well
2009 Kumeu River Hunting Hill Chardonnay
2005 Bell Hill Pinot Noir

Starting off with the Krug, The second glass of the was a revelation, it was almost overwhelming in it's acid and pure lemon flavours assaulting the palate on a seek and destroy mission on every taste bud on your tongue. It just filled your mouth with it's flavour and slowly broke down and softened as you swirled in your mouth to reveal layer upon layer of flavours and textures. I suspect there was something on the glass (soap residue or something) as the first glass was quite muted with very little bead or aggressiveness.

I loved the 86 Ch-Mont (as you'd expect, me being Mr Big and Buttery) the nose was heaven, sweet banana, lovely mouth feel and palate. I was fascinated by the linearity and purity of the Corton as a contrast. I could see myself reaching for either depending on my mood of the night.

The DRC was very interesting insofar that it wasn't a jump out of the glass wow wine, but more a thinking mans one, where you sort of had to know wines in general to appreciate how/what it does so well - the length, the assault of flavours in your mouth and sheer power of the fruit and that glorious meaty nose (so chumpy you could carve it) The length and persistence was amazing.

The 75 Chambolle was also drinking very well, they take on real Cabernet characteristics on the nose as they get older. The Rousseaus were also very nice wines, very floral on the nose and made a nice counterpoint to the others. The Dujac was very lively with bright fruit.

The Rieussec at the end just kept on building and building, fantastic drop of wine, real powerhouse sauterne compared to say Y'quem's balance, purity, finesse and length.

Photos are a bit meh, as I was more interested in enjoying the night and didn't spend too much time on them.

Panda 9D

Re: Burgundy Dinner - Bistro Fax

Post by Panda 9D »

Well done! Looks like a great night. Thanks for the notes.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Thanks for the write up Dave & everyone for a great night.
That's the 2nd time I've been to Bistro Fax (after Hackers wonderful Rockford dinner) and they really know how to service these kind of nights. Many thanks to Alexander and the staff for being so accommodating. The food is simple but decent, and sometimes mistakes might happen, but when you've got a classy Somm & enthusiastic wait staff, I'm a v happy customer who looks forward to returning.

The wines......I really enjoyed the conversation on the wines. With so many good ones, it was cool to see how different people picked out preferences. Lots of personal highlights, and being a White Burg fan, i really like Marks idea of sending the CC cork to the producer and mandating every cork be made like it!

The reason we had this dinner was a group purchase on the DRC and Dujac, the rest being generously supplied by attendees.
The DRC experience was all about the nose for me.It shattered any previous personal bests, prompting metaphysical (?) useless descriptors like singing and dancing'. It changed a lot, reminded me of sydneys Vivid festival...all these incredible images morphing, evolving, but maintaining your interest levels.
I know, keep it real Mick, it's only grape juice.
If the nose was a 10, I'd give the palate an 8. Excellent finish. The Dujac had the unfortunate luck of following it.
The Rousseaus were just wonderful, they shared a similar nose which was weird, but great. I went against the majority and preferred the Mazis.
The 2 oldies had loads of class and charm, while they lasted. The volnay cork was so content in fact, it refused to come out of the bottle and had to be decanted briefly. Fyi nothing else was decanted.
The Bald Hills felt like a tux wearing frank Sinatra turning up at a super hero fancy dress. For such a highly regarded wine, it struggled in the environment.

The whites were great. Krug opened up to show the class I crave in the label, the Corton was in ridiculous shape, drinking beautifully and only looked a couple of years old max. Kemeu continues to rock my world, never had a glass of theirs I didnt love. Next time I'm around yours Tim, you better make sure they're in offsite storage mate :P
I didn't rate the Chassagne unfortunately, showed elements of former glory, but a hint of tca parhaps, and a slightly bitter, short finish held me back.

Then after the restaurant had long since emptied, and the awesome staff allowed us to kick on for a bit, Cams bonus 01 Rieussec was discussed and enjoyed. This is a 99 Parker pointer, and I can see why. It's massive, ton of power and flavour on nose and palate. I've had a good few other vintages but this was on another level.

A great night, hopefully impressions get posted from the others as there was quite varied opinions on a few of the wines.

Mivvy

Post by Mivvy »

Great notes, interesting to read about these wines. How did the Kumeu River go in the line up?

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Yeah, great night thanks Mick!

Agree mostly with Dave’s notes on the wines, that Krug really impressed big time, much more so than a few previous bottles, and the 04 Corton was just superbly rocking my world as is usual with C-C, such a great appellation. I loved the 88 D’Angerville too, reminded me a bit of Shannons old burg night! The 75 started off fantastically, just fading a bit later, and of course the DRC was a ripper, in that subtle contemplative way, like Dave said, a thinking man’s wine, lovely depth of flavour, subtle herbal notes, all those layers they talk about… The Dujac was fine but a bit closed and outclassed on the night, then the two Rousseaus stepped up and strutted around the table. I liked the softness of the 2000 and the brooding power of the 2002 equally, so the 2000 for drinking now, the 2002 for potential. The Sauternes was a bit of a creeper for me, none of that big TBA punch, but a soft gentle confident nose and a palate that builds and builds. Seems in its window right now I thought. Cheers everyone for bringing such great wines.

Bistro-Fax becoming a potential new part time clubhouse for offlines! Decent food, not great, and a few slip ups, but the superb service and fun staff made up for any minor shortcomings.

Wow, Krug, Corton, DRC, Rousseaus… such a special night of wine and friends, just wish I had stepped up and kept in theme!! (must now sell various New World and buy various old World…. Geez that Burg really is the black hole they warned me about.. :-)

Mivvy, the Kumeu River HH 09 showed really well I thought, good Chablis qualities was mentioned a few times, but it just had too much 'competition' from a fantastic Corton with 5 years extra age. Really good wine, just got a bit rushed at the time as we were keen to move on to the reds.

The Bell Hill was disappointing though, my first one, and just so hard, brash & tight when compared to all these great Burgs. OK if it was $50 one might excuse it somewhat, yet this is $150+ wine, so I think one might expect a bit more, but is that terroir or I suspect more likely just a difficult ripening vintage (only 568 bottles produced!!). Drinking the remnants of it tonight, it's softened up a bit with all the airtime, but still has plenty of that minerality, hard slate, charcoal, dark (almost sour) cherry and young plum aspect going on. It's not a bad wine, just now put into a worldly perspective a bit more for me. No wonder Burgundy is a dirty word in NZ! :evil:

Cheers
Tim

Blue

Post by Blue »

Nice :)

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Hi Blue, the Rousseau Chambertin for BBQ Quaffers Man :D :mrgreen:

Long time no see.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Great night, and thanks so much to Michael R for organising.

For me, WOTN was the 04 Leflaive CC. Just breathtaking in its sheer power, depth, length, yet such focus and linearity. The Krug, 02 Rousseau and 01 Rieussec were very close behind for me. Then it was the DRC, which surprisingly did not sweep me off my feet. It did initially offer up a powerful display, but quickly withdrew into a tight, unyielding shell, making it for me, difficult to enjoy at present. As to the older Burgs, the 86 Caillerets CM was a revelation in the persistence of focused acidity despite its age; the 75 Chambolle- Musigny absolutely belied its age at the start, throwing up pretty strawberries and rose petals, but rapidly tired and faded; and the 88 Volnay for me distracted greatly, as it had so many characteristics of an aged Graves/Medoc left banker with herbal tobacco leaf, and graphite/ash that for me saw it less than varietal, and hence confusing... As to the the Kiwi contingent, I really enjoyed the Kumeu River, which for me resonated with the smoky minerality of a freshly shot cap-gun (a little harsher and astringent than the more intoxicating struck match...), and whose nose could easily be confused with a chablis, but whose palate was resoundingly new world with its rich fruitiness. The Bell Hill was as Tim says outgunned and outclassed unfortunately, lacking the length and depth of the Burgs.