Weekly Drinking Thread commencing 5/5/2013

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dlo

Weekly Drinking Thread commencing 5/5/2013

Post by dlo »

Quite a few for me to write up this week, but I have a gig this afternoon and a stack of charts to get done for the Merimbula Jazz Festival next month, so I'll get to the tasting notes as I can over the next few days. Hope you've found some gems worth crowing about. If not, why not let everyone know what's fair to middling or avoiding altogether?

Just one note and a list to kick things off -

Lindemans 1977 Vintage Port Bin 5432 made entirely from Gran Noir fruit off their Corowa (NSW) vineyards. Holds a fabulous rusty-edged deep, dark ruby red colour, voluminous fresh nose of cherry kirsch, dried figs, molasses and spirit lift over brooding sweet dark berried fruit. Unfortunately, the palate's riddled with excessive alcoholic heat with not insignificant brandied cherry and ribena-like fruit trying to compete, although the raisaned sweetness is a bit over the top for me. Does possess very good length, albeit somewhat "hot". Great nose, shame about the palate, although in the end, I did consider the wine "good". 84. 20% A/V

Ch. Leoville-Barton 1996 - eventually very impressive indeed, drank with increasingly improved structure over three nights. Holds a dark robe, a brooding classy nose of damp earth with a touch of barnyard over cassis, cedar and a touch of leather. Over the next two days the bouquet held extremely well with the "barnyardy" aspect dissipating mostly by night 3. In the mouth, the first impression was quite dissapointing with a slight hollowness mid-palate after a intial assault of some attractive leafy cassis fruit. Tart green acidity poked out annoyingly and the finish a little dilute and somewhat short. Disaster? Several hours breathing and the palate had improved significantly, fleshing out through the mid palate and gaining weight, the acidity in balance and the tannins unfolding and the finish reasonably fulsome and far more resolute. Day 2, the wine was mostly steadfast, putting on some weight both on nose and palate and the structure building gently with the tannins seemingly a tad more prominent. Day 3 saw the wine at its best with no oxidation or loss of intensity, in fact, a delectable creaminess had evolved and the tannins rounding off a touch.

If I had to score the wine upon opening, it would amass a measly 78 points (major palate problems) and a solid 92 at the end. Proving the value of giving a wine the necessary time to fully express itself during serious appraisals. (12.5% A/V, a long, slightly narrow cork. Drink 2015 - 2026)

DeBortoli Noble One 2008 - incredibly rich, almost decadent, excellent + - this is a full throttle bottle of spiced, super sweet apricot nectar - deep mid-gold colour, decadently rich and explosive aromas and flavours - spiced apricot, mandarin and cumquat with bucket loads of integrated vanillin new oak and enhanced by deft cleansing acid in the mouth. Long as the night and a joy to drink. I much prefer these at 5 years of age than older, although I acknowledge they keep keeping on (in some vintages) for decades. This seems a cellarable and very high quality vintage - worth seeking out. 10% A/V. 93 points.

Barossa Valley Estates 2009 Chardonnay - bought this very cheap as a quaffer - ok wine, not a lot of excitement but still worthy of 85 points (just very good).

Lastly a bottle of 1998 Schiffmann-Junk Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling-Auslese Gold Capsule, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer. I'd never heard of this producer before and a couple of bottles drawing no interest at auction were snapped up for more than a reasonable price. The wine displays a beautiful light bright gold colour, offers up a shy nose at first, that builds and builds sitting in the glass, unfolding seamless layer upon layer of pristine aromas featuring gently ripe nectarines, white flowers, some slate, a salty minerality, a little apricot, a whiff of petrol and a faint top note of lemongrass. In the mouth, this exceptional wine repeats the beat of the same drum - seamless and mouthfilling but light on its feet and totally beguiling. Zippy acidity is woven through gorgeously ripe stone fruit with a freshness that belies its age and a finish that goes on and on. A truly great drinking experience. 95 points. 8% A/V. Drink now - 2023
Last edited by dlo on Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cheers,

David

n4sir

Re: Weekly Drinking Thread commencing 5/5/2013

Post by n4sir »

Some drops at a committee meeting last month I hadn't got around to posting. :oops:

2010 Grosset Piccadilly Chardonnay, Adelaide Hills (screwcap): 13.5% alc. Very pale green/straw. A pretty impressive imitation of a good White Burgundy, waxy and toasty, minerally and tight on the bouquet, a touch of grass too; the palate’s fatter but well balanced with a solid core of melon/peach fruit and cashew/smoky/French vanilla oak, finishing with crisp, clean, lip-puckering acidity.

2005 Brindabella Hills Shiraz Cabernet Franc, Southern NSW (screwcap): 13.5% alc. Smells really funky, rustic and rather amateurish, green and yet somehow overripe/porty, tar, black liquorice, stewed cherries and menthol, cinnamon donuts and freshly laid rubber from a hoon's burn-out. The palate isn’t any better, green with rubbery/carbonic characters, thin, especially on the mid-palate, finishing with hard, green tannins – the Cabernet Franc really seems to dominate, and not in a good way.

2008 Mount Langi Ghiran Cliff Edge Shiraz, Grampians (screwcap): 14.5% alc. Ripe and fruit-sweet on the nose, not shy on the biscuity oak either, the black cherries almost drifting into the stewed spectrum, although it should be noted the minty lift isn’t harsh at all. The black cherry fruit’s there on the palate, which is minerally and spicy with a little mid-palate warmth and black pepper, finishing minty with drying tannins and fierce acidity. Looks very young for a 2008 wine; I was initially thinking McLaren Vale, maybe a Shiraz Viognier blend, but the options led me to nail everything but the vintage. A pretty accurate example of the “new” style of Mount Langi made by Dan Buckle, notably riper with more black pepper characters than white – I have to admit good bottles of those old-style vintages are pretty special though.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

dlo wrote:Lindemans 1977 Vintage Port Bin 5432 made entirely from Gran Noir fruit off their Corowa (NSW) vineyards. Holds a fabulous rusty-edged deep, dark ruby red colour, voluminous fresh nose of cherry kirsch, dried figs, molasses and spirit lift over brooding sweet dark berried fruit. Unfortunately, the palate's riddled with excessive alcoholic heat with not insignificant considerable brandied cherry almost ribena-like fruit trying to compete, although the raisaned sweetness is a bit over the top for me. Does possess very good length, albeit somewhat "hot". Great nose, shame about the palate, although in the end, I did consider the wine "good". 84. 20% A/V

Thanks as always David. I've been accumulating a few of these old, Corowa sourced Lindemans VPs from the 70s/80s with the idea of doing a Portuguese varieties VP vertical (primarily Australian but perhaps a few imports too, all depending on the budget), but they sound rather inconsistent going by your impressions along with those of Graeme Gee over the years. I'm really beginning to wonder if it's even worth bothering with if they're so hit and miss. :?

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2001 Wynns Harold single vineyard Cabernet 13.5% alc.
The first of the single vineyards releases, the Harold vineyard being planted in the mid 70s.
Opened well, still brick red with no evidence of browning on the rim. Perfect cork.

All the usual suspects cassis, blackberry, cigar box, quite fruit driven with oak in the background.
Palate could be a little fuller, but very balanced and well integrated, quite luscious with firm tannins.
Look very comfortable for another 5-7 years yet.

A really solid low 90s number
Cheers
Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Penfolds Bin 28 2004 - pretty good but nothing mind blowing. The 04 Henschke Euphonium I had during the week on the other hand.....
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

A few this evening

2005 Pauletts Clare valley shiraz....a nice aromatic nose with spice, capciscum and berry. pleasant on the palate...nothing exciting a nice drink.
2010 Bowen Cabernet. a real full flavoured expression, lovely berry, sweetness with out the heat of previous Bowen's ... may have tamed the heat with the alcohol levels..very very good
2001 Rockford rifle range cabernet.. a really slippery wine full of eucalypt... almost oily in character...then the sweet earthiness takes over. This will go on for ever.. perfect cork...really good
1998 Tisdall Mt Ida Shiraz... central victoria heathcote. Brick red lovely lovely nose of hickory, mixed spice...really jubey and then full bodied on the palate with plush fruits, plums and a slightly charry oak...lovely fine tannins...very very good. a real blast from the past.

Cheers Craig.

dlo

Post by dlo »

n4sir wrote: 2010 Grosset Piccadilly Chardonnay, Adelaide Hills (screwcap): 13.5% alc. Very pale green/straw. A pretty impressive imitation of a good White Burgundy, waxy and toasty, minerally and tight on the bouquet, a touch of grass too; the palate’s fatter but well balanced with a solid core of melon/peach fruit and cashew/smoky/French vanilla oak, finishing with crisp, clean, lip-puckering acidity.

Agree, Ian, a lovely drop and from the several I've opened to date, consistently scoring at gold medal standard.
Cheers,

David

dlo

Post by dlo »

phillisc wrote:2010 Bowen Cabernet. a real full flavoured expression, lovely berry, sweetness with out the heat of previous Bowen's ... may have tamed the heat with the alcohol levels..very very good

Doug Bowen made some terrific lower alcohol Coonawarra reds in the seventies and eighties. The last bottle I tried, a 1986 Cabernet, a few years back was pretty darn good for it's age. With the advent of the nineties, I was devastated how high Bowen's alcohol levels rose (above 15% IIRC) and how quickly this potentially great raw material fell over in the bottle. Haven't been bothered to go back since. Craig, do you recall the A/V of this wine? Might just have to try one for old time's sake.
Last edited by dlo on Mon May 06, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David

rednut

Post by rednut »

Took the wifey for a night out less child and did our usual trek of the lovely Barossa.

Started at Barossa Valley Estate, tried the reds and liked a few but $90 for their flagship Shiraz, would rather buy 2 BP's.
Had a platter lunch which was nice local produce and nice atmosphere.

Then onto Turkey Flat for a tasting in the Butchers Block Room. Thoroughly enjoyed this and Emily our hostess was very clued up on anything we asked.
left with Shiraz, Mourvèdre and the wife loved their 2012 Butchers Block White which was made up of a variety of 44% Marsanne, 41% Viognier, 15% Roussanne.

Next stop my favourite, Rockfords for a Stonewallers session.
Had to try them all again just to make sure I still liked them :wink: .
After a long chat with Lynette we took home 6 Black Shiraz's and 6 Basket Press.

Stayed at the Vine Inn in Nuriootpa, our rooms had just been refurbished which was nice and finished the day with a nice big Scotch Fillet in their restaurant...

Tough life if you dont weaken :D
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

monghead

Post by monghead »

This was a Grapemates tasting which explored several aspects of winemaking influence, thus between some flights of wine were pure water extractions of certain constituents.
Cam, thank you for the list (which I copied from the grape mates forum).

NV Emilio Lustau Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Don Nuño Solera Reserva Dry Oloroso

1996 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne

2012 Tempus Two Verdelho
2012 Tempus Two Verdelho with added SO2
2012 Tempus Two Verdelho with added tartaric acid

2005 Domaine Christian Moreau Père et Fils Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos
2009 Cullen Wines Chardonnay Kevin John
2008 Kumeu River Chardonnay Maté's Vineyard
2009 Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay Sonoma

2012 Passionvale Bin 114D Chambourcin
2004 Benwarin Chambourcin

2011 Tyrrell's Shiraz 4 Acres

Oak - Raw French (lightly used)
Oak - Medium Toast USA
Oak - Medium Plus Toast French

2011 Passionvale Shiraz Steven Vineyard
2011 De Iuliis Shiraz Steven Vineyard

Stem Contact
Seeds with some Skin Contact

2011 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier
2008 Sutton Grange Fairbank Syrah
2011 Clos du Tue-Boeuf Touraine La Butte
2008 Philippe Alliet Chinon Coteau de Noiré

2011 Bass Phillip Pinot Noir Premium
2009 Dupont-Tisserandot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers
2010 Elk Cove Vineyards Pinot Noir La Bohème
2010 Quartz Reef Pinot Noir

2012 Lucy Margaux Vineyards Pinot Noir Wildman
2009 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py Cuvée 3.14
2009 Longwood Kuitpo Pinot Noir

2002 Torbreck The Steading
2001 Wirra Wirra Cabernet Sauvignon The Angelus

2009 La Sirène de Giscours
1990 Wynns Coonawarra Estate Hermitage

1998 Fromm Winery La Strada Riesling Auslese
2010 Auburn Riesling Alexandra

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

dlo wrote:
phillisc wrote:2010 Bowen Cabernet. a real full flavoured expression, lovely berry, sweetness with out the heat of previous Bowen's ... may have tamed the heat with the alcohol levels..very very good

Doug Bowen made some terrific lower alcohol Coonawarra reds in the seventies and eighties. The last bottle I tried, a 1986 Cabernet, a fews back was pretty darn good for it's age. With the advent of the nineties, I was devastated how high Bowen's alcohol levels rose (above 15% IIRC) and how quickly this potentially great raw material fell over in the bottle. Haven't been bothered to go back since. Craig, do you recall the A/V of this wine? Might just have to try one for old time's sake.

Hi David, think it was 13.5-14. Yes I remeber Bowen in the 90s getting up to greenock Creek Levels (16+%).

Matt

Post by Matt »

Capel Vale Regional Series Mount Barker Shiraz 2011
I have been on a bit of a cool climate shiraz quest of late having had Bests 2011 and Tar and Roses Shiraz in the recent months. For me the Capel Vale stacks up very well against these two. Marginally lighter bodied, this really impressed me with some lovely strawberry fruit. It also has a distict savoury edge and lightly peppered finish. Loved it - will be better in another 5 years!

Teisto

Post by Teisto »

2012 Jim Barry Watervale Even though I have bought quite a few 2012's this is the first I've actually tried. Theses are just powerful driven and racy. I can see why so many people are restocking as they are so good to drink right now.

2006 Tulloch Petit Verdot Just average. Nothing amazing but nothing wrong.
2007 Teusner Riebke Starting to change colour and no longer a deep purple. For the minimal RRP on this it is a great drop. Again, not going to bowl me over with a life changing experience - just solid and ticks all the boxes.

jimbob47

Post by jimbob47 »

It's been a while since I have posted on here.. combine university with a somm. job at Rockpool and you have yourself a pretty hectic schedule.

Tasted some really nice stuff this week..

Had a bottle of Chianti Villa Cafaggio 2009 which was really nice... lovely drinking now with that typical Sour Cherry hit at the start with a great length to it.

David Franz Sem - 2011 - Really nice Barossa Sem with lovely notes to it.. a great white to go well with fish

Big fan of the Evoi Chardonnay (pick a vintage) all really nice and up there with some of the better MR Chardy's.

Heading up to the Barossa soonish.. very keen to check out Izway wines, Standish and the new stuff from David Franz. Hopefully check out Irvine and Dutschke as well..

dlo

Post by dlo »

Good to see you back on deck, JimBob.
Cheers,

David

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

Just finished a bottle of the 2006 Hardys HRB d637 Shiraz. It has developed a fair bit in the two years since I last opened one, and has really thrown a crust on the side of the bottle. It has lovely black cherry and currant flavours, and a bit of dusty tannin. I reckon it will be even better in a couple of years.

Also had a 2008 Lambert Vineyards Shiraz from the Canberra region, which was superb. It is a very dense wine with strong black berry and pepper flavours, with a fair bit of tannin. Will also be good in the years to come.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Opened a Wynns Shiraz 2001 last night... great colour, still quite dark red, attractive nose of crushed red berries, vanillan oak and spice, but something just a little off in the tannin balance in the mouth... will have another look tonight.
------------------------------------
Sam

monghead

Post by monghead »

2009 Church Road Reserve Cabernet Merlot
Dark, brooding berries, solid cedary, spicy oak, and fine but pronounced tannins.
Solid Good.

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

Last night opened a 2012 Pokolbin Estate Riesling. Pleasant dry style, good varietal character, just not overly challenging or complex. Pretty much a standard quaffer, at a semi-premium price.

Hadn't fancied opening it given the bad cellar door experience (not bad, just frustrating). The girl treated us like first-time tourists, and wouldn't engage on talk about the wine. She had her sales patter she had to give, and didn't care that we would rather have a real conversation about it. Then she poured their premium shiraz - one she said was her favourite at the winery (coincidentally, also the most expensive). I took one whiff and said that I thought the bottle had been open too long - it was 10 years old, and had a real porty, pruney character. Looking at the label, the date of opening written in pen was 4 days earlier. She flat out said "no it hasn't, it was only opened yesterday" didn't pour any for herself, or try/smell. I tasted it, and it was rancid. I told her it was undrinkable, and she said "not everyone likes the style of aged reds". I was pretty furious.

Bought the riesling out of politness (not that i should have felt obliged) and curiosity to see what a Hunter Riesling (a real one, not a mis-labeled Sem) was like.
www.vinographic.com

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

dan_smee wrote:and she said "not everyone likes the style of aged reds". I was pretty furious.

Of course hindsight a wonderful thing, but I would have responded "You mean 'Not everyone likes the style of oxidised reds?' How about we ask your boss his opinion?". You were kind to then buy something....

Anyway... Me, not too much, M.Chapoutier Cotes De Rhone 2010 as a nice cheap mid week quaffer, lasts nicely and improves over two days too!

Saltram Mamre Brook Cab Sav 2004 - OMG I'm actually thinking it's just beginning to emerge from it's stubborn closed prison! Still needs a few hours, but not the evil brooding monster it has always been. Good Good (esp for the price).

Half bottle of Te Mata Awatea 2007. Really enjoyed this bottle, got 4 halfies a while back, two so far have been just a touch off ideal, not sure if cork or heat related, but this one was great.

Got a very, very special night to look forward to on Sat, 1986 Le Montrachet, 1961 DRC Richebourg, 1929 Chevillot La Tache, 1929 Clos de Vougeot and other Burgs from 1919, 1923, 1937...... just another tasting really :mrgreen: :D

dlo

Post by dlo »

TiggerK wrote:Got a very, very special night to look forward to on Sat, 1986 Le Montrachet, 1961 DRC Richebourg, 1929 Chevillot La Tache, 1929 Clos de Vougeot and other Burgs from 1919, 1923, 1937...... just another tasting really

That'll cost you a pretty penny or three. Here's hoping the bottles' have been kept in a magnificent underground French cellar for the better part of the last century. Or does the host have multiple back-ups? Seriously, I wish you all the best, although Shannon does have an excellent track record of coming through with the "goods". Or in this case the "greats". :wink:
Last edited by dlo on Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

dlo wrote:Here's hoping the bottles' have been kept in a magnificent underground French cellar for the better part of the last century.

Yes, they have been actually! But cold Belgian and German cellars. Then reefer shipped from Europe under wax seals, cellared carefully here, and have been resting in the restaurant cellar for three days before being served tomorrow night.

No weeping bottles from someone's Brisbane cupboard here, Shannon does it properly! Not expecting 100% aged perfection of course, that's unrealisitic, but given the provenance, we've got a great chance of seeing the wines in their proper state. And of course a few backups are on hand just in case.

People flying in from the US & Adelaide for it, actually pretty good value all things considered, but certainly stretched the wallet a bit....

:D :D :D

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

sjw_11 wrote:Opened a Wynns Shiraz 2001 last night... great colour, still quite dark red, attractive nose of crushed red berries, vanillan oak and spice, but something just a little off in the tannin balance in the mouth... will have another look tonight.

Better on the second night, nose showed a few green tinges, almost could have mistaken for cabernet as a result, but the palate was now much more expressive... liquer plums. Never guess the age. Fantastic wine for the c$12 price point (and under cork still then).
------------------------------------
Sam

rens

Post by rens »

TiggerK wrote:
dlo wrote:Here's hoping the bottles' have been kept in a magnificent underground French cellar for the better part of the last century.

Yes, they have been actually! But cold Belgian and German cellars. Then reefer shipped from Europe under wax seals, cellared carefully here, and have been resting in the restaurant cellar for three days before being served tomorrow night.

No weeping bottles from someone's Brisbane cupboard here, Shannon does it properly! Not expecting 100% aged perfection of course, that's unrealisitic, but given the provenance, we've got a great chance of seeing the wines in their proper state. And of course a few backups are on hand just in case.

People flying in from the US & Adelaide for it, actually pretty good value all things considered, but certainly stretched the wallet a bit....

:D :D :D

Looking forward to seeing some tasting notes. Jealous+++
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Hi Monghead, just out of interest as I think I have 3-4 left, how was the 1990 Wynns shiraz?

Cheers Craig.

jimbob47

Post by jimbob47 »

Had a 90 Wynns Shiraz last night.. they are a bit hit and miss with a lot of variation. The one last night was nice but a not as vibrant as some others I have tried over the past 2 months.. I'd say they are at optimal drinking now though.. maybe another 2 or 3 years.

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

Just opened (as of 2 mins ago) - 2003 Meerea Park Terracotta Semillon.

Luminous golden. Bordering on the yellowish, but a definite golden hue. Nose of wax, toast, some lemon butter, but not dominatingly so - indicating it is mid-to-late development, right where I like it.

The palate is a bit more developed than the nose indicated. Some acid, but the over-riding flavours upfront are the classic toast and nuts. Quite a nice mouth-feel too, not too thin, and the palate is fairly well balanced. A good length, about 15 seconds. Still some time to go, I'd say it's got another 2-3 years of peak drinking. 2 bottles left in the cabinet, and will probably work through them in the next 6-12 months.
www.vinographic.com

camw

Post by camw »

TiggerK wrote:Got a very, very special night to look forward to on Sat, 1986 Le Montrachet ...

No Le in front of Montrachet from the Puligny side Tim, I hope I don't have to break out the red marker for the handout already :wink:

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

I'm jealous too Cam!

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Yes, learned that correction to the supplied list during research, and well before printing Cam, so you can sleep easy. As if a wine that good would be masculine anyway.

(BTW, Handout has taken days, so criticism will not be welcomed) :evil: