Greenock Creek Apricot Block Shiraz 2002 tn

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dan_smee

Greenock Creek Apricot Block Shiraz 2002 tn

Post by dan_smee »

Hi all,

While I'm not in the business of starting new threads for TNs, this was such a 'slap in the face' epiphany, I had to share it. I also want to know as much as I can about other people Greenock Creek experiences. I've eyed off bottles before, and always gone safe with a John Riddoch or something else. No more!

Opening up, the cork had about 2mm of staining, and about another 1mm of treacle-like sediment clinging to the bottom. The oak wafted put of the bottle, and subsumed any discernible characteristics from the Collector Lamp Lit Marsanne 2011, Tyrrell's HVD Semillon 2007 and Paringa Estate Peninsula Pinot Noir 2011. Glasses were poured about 45 minutes before the intended consumption, as there was no decanter available at the restaurant.

The wine was impenetrably dark. Black with some purple-red flints when caught by the bright down-lights. Every effort was made to ensure the sediment stayed in the bottle. The wine clung to the glass for en eternity, looking like syrup sliding down the side if the glass.

The nose was incredibly complex - cigar box, mocha, mulberry, blackberry, some slight mint, vanilla, plum - it just went on and on. People at the table with no interest in wine were offering suggestions of the aroma, one proclaiming to smell toothpaste, another apricot seed (perhaps a suggestion from the name, but even I admitted to noticing it after it was mentioned).

The wine itself was huge. Big, bold black fruit jam characters were the immediate flavours. Then some cigar box and tobacco. Then molasses. Then blue plums. Then some mint and fleshy yellow fruit. The concentration was something I hadn't experienced before. The wine had an intensity and vibrancy that left me feeling like I'd eaten a triple chocolate dark mud cake - so rich, so intense, so moreish!

This is one of now 4 wine experiences that have defined how I look at wine. Mount Pleasant Lovedale Semillon 1996, Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon 1998 and Farrside By Farr Pinot Noir 2009 make up the 4.

Has anyone had more experiences like this with Greenock Creek? What wines from them should I be targeting?

Anyway, sorry for the waffling side bar - just wanted to share a life changing experience.
www.vinographic.com

Scotty vino

Re: Greenock Creek Apricot Block Shiraz 2002 tn

Post by Scotty vino »

dan_smee wrote:Hi all,

While I'm not in the business of starting new threads for TNs, this was such a 'slap in the face' epiphany, I had to share it. I also want to know as much as I can about other people Greenock Creek experiences. I've eyed off bottles before, and always gone safe with a John Riddoch or something else. No more!

Opening up, the cork had about 2mm of staining, and about another 1mm of treacle-like sediment clinging to the bottom. The oak wafted put of the bottle, and subsumed any discernible characteristics from the Collector Lamp Lit Marsanne 2011, Tyrrell's HVD Semillon 2007 and Paringa Estate Peninsula Pinot Noir 2011. Glasses were poured about 45 minutes before the intended consumption, as there was no decanter available at the restaurant.

The wine was impenetrably dark. Black with some purple-red flints when caught by the bright down-lights. Every effort was made to ensure the sediment stayed in the bottle. The wine clung to the glass for en eternity, looking like syrup sliding down the side if the glass.

The nose was incredibly complex - cigar box, mocha, mulberry, blackberry, some slight mint, vanilla, plum - it just went on and on. People at the table with no interest in wine were offering suggestions of the aroma, one proclaiming to smell toothpaste, another apricot seed (perhaps a suggestion from the name, but even I admitted to noticing it after it was mentioned).

The wine itself was huge. Big, bold black fruit jam characters were the immediate flavours. Then some cigar box and tobacco. Then molasses. Then blue plums. Then some mint and fleshy yellow fruit. The concentration was something I hadn't experienced before. The wine had an intensity and vibrancy that left me feeling like I'd eaten a triple chocolate dark mud cake - so rich, so intense, so moreish!

This is one of now 4 wine experiences that have defined how I look at wine. Mount Pleasant Lovedale Semillon 1996, Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon 1998 and Farrside By Farr Pinot Noir 2009 make up the 4.

Has anyone had more experiences like this with Greenock Creek? What wines from them should I be targeting?

Anyway, sorry for the waffling side bar - just wanted to share a life changing experience.

Couldn't have put it better myself. GC A blocks from 02 thru now rarely disappoint. Well for me anyway. Had a 99 last year and it tasted very similar to your TNs. Rich and intense ? Absolutely . There's also a bit of a 'freshly laid asphalt' smell sometimes with some of the early 00's. Love it. Got a pile of 07 thru 09's laying down. Can't wait. :)
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

While the GCs are generally too big for my tastes, my favourites from them tend to be, in order, Creek Block, RR, 7 Acres then Alices.

Thanks for your post Dan.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Hi Dan
Really enjoy your posts generally, and this post is no different.
However, for a different perspective, I typically find Greenock Creeks almost undrinkable. Granted I'm working off a very small sample, mostly a few 04&05 Apricot blocks and Alice Shiraz, the last one I had was a 97 Roenfeldt Road.
All were way over the top, alcoholic bombs.

From what I hear the Waughs are a classy, decent crew, so I really wanted to like these wines, but this style and particularly the alcohol levels, will polarize many.
I did have an 05 Grenache (cornerstone?),which I really enjoyed, perhaps I need to revisit the wines with an open mind....

Thanks again for a great note
Michael

rednut

Post by rednut »

I for one love Greenock Creek wines.
I still have a few 1999 Creek Block Shiraz's I bought off of Ric some time ago when that was allowed here.

I yearly buy the Alices Shiraz and the Conerstone Grenache (my favourite). High alcohol but spectacular wines.
I quite like high alcohol content so these wines and I get along very well :D

The Apricot Block is very nice also.
Enjoy...
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

markg

Post by markg »

The Alices from that year is memorable, a fantastic wine. $25 on release and I grabbed about 2 dozen from cellar door and then another 2 a few weeks later. By the end of a year they were all gone :(

If you can get hold of the 1994's like the Creek Block, they are still going strong and amazing wines. We opened a magnum of 1988 Creek Block (marked simply as Greenock Creek Shiraz) a few years ago and it was WOTN.

I did not like 2003 and some of the others beyond personally, found them too syrupy and one dimensional, but I have not tried the last 5 years or so ..
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

Thanks for the kind comments, the recommendations and the personal experiences.

I am not usually into wines this big either. I usually prefer my shiraz to be medium or light bodied, more like your modern elegant Hunter’s, and some of the finer Canberra examples (Brindabella Hills, Collector, Nick O’Leary etc). This blew me away though. I think I am finding as I explore more and more of the many varied styles in Australia, that any style done properly can have that transcendental effect, and this wine was right in the sweet spot. It was blessed with a perfect cork, perfect storage conditions, and a great food match (Lamb Tortellini in a rich ragu, and a medium rare beef with fondant potatoes).

Like all bottles under cork, we are at the mercy of the gods regarding random oxidisation, TCA etc - and without re-igniting that debate (although in Australia, it is a fairly one-sided debate), I could well have fallen victim to one of these curses and gone on blissfully disregarding the qualities of a big, powerful Barossan. Interestingly, we had a V. Sattui Old Crow Vineyard Russian River Zinfandel 2008 the night before, and I think it got me in the mood. It was a fairly large wine, though without the integration, intensity or ‘controlled chaos’ of the Greenock Creek. Controlled chaos is the best way I can describe the melange of competing flavours – all seemingly disparate and clearly defined, yet completely in synch and serving an obvious purpose. Strangely, the Cellarit community found it appropriate in their infinite wisdom to rate it higher on average than the Apricot Block. Although it was a very good wine in its own right, I challenge the notion that on average peoples experiences of the Zin could surpass the Apricot Block. Not for long, once I have submitted my review!
www.vinographic.com

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

BTW - how do I get my name down on the Greenock Creek mailer?
www.vinographic.com

Joe Cz

Post by Joe Cz »

I loved this wine when I tried it several years ago. And the 2004. But in many years, I find the Greenock Creek wines overly alcoholic.
Joe Czerwinski

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

Has anyone tried any of the 2010's? Cracking Barossa vintage, and I am now looking at a few for purchase....
www.vinographic.com

markg

Post by markg »

dan_smee wrote:Has anyone tried any of the 2010's? Cracking Barossa vintage, and I am now looking at a few for purchase....

Here are a series of reviews by Josh Tuckfield, his blog is quite good and his reviews consistent:
http://vino-review.blogspot.com.au/2012 ... -2012.html
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

Thanks Mark, will check it out.
www.vinographic.com

rens

Post by rens »

dan_smee wrote:BTW - how do I get my name down on the Greenock Creek mailer?

Just contact the winery. I got on with a quick email.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Dan, all this talk about GC is making me think I should start buying them again. Have a nice run from 1990-2002.
I think the Alice is also worth a look along with the Apricot.
There is many a winery who would like these two labels as their top marques.

FWIW, the 97 Seven Acre is a stunning stunning wine.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

phillisc wrote:Dan, all this talk about GC is making me think I should start buying them again. Have a nice run from 1990-2002.
I think the Alice is also worth a look along with the Apricot.
There is many a winery who would like these two labels as their top marques.

FWIW, the 97 Seven Acre is a stunning stunning wine.

Cheers Craig

Thanks Craig.

I just ordered 3 x each of 2010 Alice's and Apricot Block. They sent me the order form, and still have some of those, the Cornerstone Grenache, and back vintages of Cabernet (09 and an 07/06 pack), and RR Shiraz 05 and 06.

I thought I'd save the big $$$ for next year's 08 RR release. Expecting big things given the hype around 08 Barossa reds. And at $192, it is incredible value for such a well regarded wine. HEAR THAT TWE??!?!!
www.vinographic.com

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Great choices Dan. I find Greenock Creek a bit like Rockford in the fact I prefer the Cabernet to the top Shiraz's. The Greenock Cabernet is exquisite. My favourite is the Cornerstone Grenache as I'm a Grenache freak. Reading your review makes me want to dig into the cellar as I have a fair few of the '02's.

I'd be saving big time for 2012 releases as well.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Dan - I don't imagine there'd be a waiting list, as many peopleI know have dropped off due to the price and the alcohol levels. That said, if you like the style, they're fantastic wines.

Mike

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

Mike Hawkins wrote:Dan - I don't imagine there'd be a waiting list, as many peopleI know have dropped off due to the price and the alcohol levels. That said, if you like the style, they're fantastic wines.

Mike

Surprising re price. I can see alcohol levels being a concern (though the appear to be bringing them back down). Alice's for 30 bucks? Apricot block for $38. Kicks all kinds of sh!t out of Bin 28
www.vinographic.com