Ekhidna Wines, Mclaren Vale

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
rednut

Ekhidna Wines, Mclaren Vale

Post by rednut »

Have been told about these guys by a mate of mine we were spending the night at Serafinos and thought we would try them out.
Got there at about 11.30am and thought hey we'll just jag a table and have a bite to eat. Wrong. Should have booked. Anyway the fantastic cellar door staff said try a few wines and see what happens. 10 Mins later we had a shaded table next to the vines, beautiful.

Tried all the reds and sparkles and absolutely loved them.
Enjoyed a great meal and walked out with 2 cartons of assorted wines.
Matt the owner/winemaker is a nice bloke, ex Tatachilla Winemaker , easy to talk to and will do very well where he now is.
His staff were a credit to his establishment, polite, cheery, and know what they are selling.

One even picked me up so I could drop my car off and return to enjoy a few wines without the hassle of driving. Thank you Alison. :wink:

Try all the various beers they make there also, definitely want a chauffeur or designated driver for this place... :P

http://ekhidnawines.com.au/

Not a bad word could be said so I highly recommend if you are in the M'claren Vale area, pop in and try some lovely wines, exceptional foods in a very pleasant atmosphere. :D
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

porschemad911

Re: Ekhidna Wines, Mclaren Vale

Post by porschemad911 »

I have to second this. My last trip to Mclaren vale included lunch and a tasting here. The lunch was an absolutely delicious ploughman style sharing platter, and I really enjoyed all the wines and beers, especially the grenache/shiraz blend. Definitely worth a visit but book ahead.

rednut

Re: Ekhidna Wines, Mclaren Vale

Post by rednut »

Quick trip to Ekhidna Wines yesterday for the "end of bottling run out sale"
Well worth the quick drive. Sparkling red , managed to get there to grab the last 3 x cartons for $150 each.
Scored a few cartons of his export shiraz called "35c" (35 degrees) named after the temperature I presume there in summer.
Tried this wine and loved it. 14.9 % alc with a beautiful flavour.
$10 per bottle too good to refuse.
He had sold over 4 palletts of wine in 1 hour. Large crowd was enjoying themselves with a large table set up out the front of help yourself tasting of all the wines for sale. Almost needed a taxi for this trip. :shock:

Matt was his usual cheery friendly self, hence why he is packing them in and customers keep coming back. :D
Cheers
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields