Wines of the Year 2012

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Re: Wines of the Year 2012

Post by monghead »

Great notes David, thank you. I must say, wifey and I don't drink nearly enough vintage ports. It is not that we don't like them (in fact, we fell in love with them in Rutherglen, when I was in Albury for 6 months), but rather, we have usually had enough by the time we are done with the red/white with dinner. Also, the VPs pack a punch with the higher alcohol, and the fact that unlike other after dinner stuff, the VPs need to be finished soon after opening.

Looking through the cellar list, have the Stanton and Kileen VPs from 1995 and 1996. Are these any good?

Monghead.

Bick

Post by Bick »

Craig(NZ) wrote:Best Whites from the cellar:
2006 Kumeu River Mates Chardonnay
Looking better and better after a couple of clumsy years after release

I had one of these out of my cellar last night. Agreed, absolutely terrific wine. I don't buy so much wine these days, so the cellar is slowly getting depleted, but that's not a miserable undertaking.
Cheers,
Mike

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Bick wrote:
Craig(NZ) wrote:Best Whites from the cellar:
2006 Kumeu River Mates Chardonnay
Looking better and better after a couple of clumsy years after release

I had one of these out of my cellar last night. Agreed, absolutely terrific wine. I don't buy so much wine these days, so the cellar is slowly getting depleted, but that's not a miserable undertaking.

Nice to see you around Mike!

I was very lucky to try 2006 Mates on Friday at the winery alongside the 2008 and 2010 vintages also some Hunting Hill and Coddington vintages too. It was sensational. A truely great NZ chardonnay in its prime. The 2010 should be just as good in 4 years time I would expect.