'Cheap' French wines in Singapore?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
GraemeG

'Cheap' French wines in Singapore?

Post by GraemeG »

I realise that in the 'Cheap Countries to buy Wine' pamphlet Singapore is listed on about page 140. (Australia is on page 160...) But, I'm there briefly next week, and I can't believe that someone there doesn't sell decent-ish French wine (~A$100/bt) for less than it goes for here. I gather Carrefour is gone; any other suggestions?
cheers,
GG

Wizz

Re: 'Cheap' French wines in Singapore?

Post by Wizz »

Also interested in this topic - we're hopping through Singapore on the way to/from Vietnam in March,

dalilacene

Post by dalilacene »

wine-searcher?(http://www.infinitesupply.com.sg/).
sorry,when that is a wrong answer.
when not required,please delete.
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Roman

milky

Post by milky »

Hi, it's been a while since I've been to this forum... and I think I might be able to share a little on this topic, since I've been living and buying wines in Singapore for last 2+ years.

Wine drinking is still quite French-centric in Singapore, and Aussie wines are 2nd most popular here.
Typically, consumers here buy wines from:

- Supermarkets: Cold Storage chain, FairPrice chain & Giant chain
Wines offered are mainly from the big booze companies, some good wines. You'll find some decent French wines there, on same calibre as Jacob's Creek, Wynns Bin series, Penfolds Rawsons Retreat, Wolf Blass Eagle-Hawk etc. . Sometimes, you can get good French wines at lower prices than in bottle shops. E.g. I saw a Calon Segur selling at around SGD 130 (~ AUD 105) once in FairPrice... $10 cheaper than elsewhere.

- Bottles shops: The Straits Wine Company chain, 1855 The Bottle Shop chain, Wine Connection chain, Bottles & Bottles chain
Plenty of options in all of these chains. Different chains generally carry different labels, but the well-distributed brands do get displayed in most. I generally buy from 1855 Bottle Shop which have good selections and plenty of classed growths. The prices are not low, but they have monthly offers, which offer much more attractive prices. If you know your French wines/regions well, suss out Wine Connection as their prices are lowest, but selection least well-known.
Of course, there are some independent bottles shop, one of which I know is Crystal Wines, which have a good selection.

Hopefully, the above will give you some direction...

Give us a hoy if you're coming through, I have a group of wine friends here who are always happy to come together to share some bottles, and I have connections with a few places that can waive corkage... ;)
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Thanks for the tips, and the offer, Milky, but I'm in and out so fast - and staring at PowerPoint all the time in between - that there's no time for anything civilised. I'll see what I can find around the Mairna area, which is where I'll be.
Thanks again,
GG

limkeith

Post by limkeith »

Crystal Wines in Singapore. Their site has price lists and also stock. Check them out.