2012 - life changing wine experience

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
L plater

2012 - life changing wine experience

Post by L plater »

Hi all,

This is my first visit back to the site in some years - I lurked frequently and posted occasionally 2006/2007 when I was starting to get into wine
The 5-6 year since then i continued to follow advice gained here and drank widely, although largely Australian wines. I'd check in here now and then for some suggestions. I've tried some older Australian wines (maybe 10-15yo) and noted the changes/secondary characteristics without being blown away.

This march I finally had my Wow/life changing wine moment that I've read many others describe.

I had the opportunity to go to the US for my brother's 40th Birthday, and had a range of Old World Wines in one day that completely redefined my concept of good wine.

The lineup was as follows:

Krug 1998, Cristal 2002

Lafite 2000, margaux 2000

latour 1990, margaux 1990, haut-Brion 1989

Lafite 1959, latour 1961, Mouton 1982

Giacomo Conterno barolo Monfortino 1978 and 2002

vega Sicilia unico 2000

Chateau D'Yquem 1975, 1988

The champagne, sauternes and young bordeaux set new standards for me, but the real game changers were the 59 lafite, 82 Mouton and especially the '78 Conterno barolo. (sadly I think the 61 latour was oxidised). The complexity and length went so far beyond anything i've ever had (in fact I feel the barolo is still ingering on the palate 9 months later)

Whilst largely a positive experience, many lesser wines have now been spoilt for me in comparison to these.

I'm not sure what the point of my post is (perhaps just an opportunity to brag!), but for those who have the opportunity to drink such wine regularly - I'm envious, and those who haven't - if you ever have an opportunity to try such wine, jump at it (even if it means flying from perth to the US and back in the space of 5 days) - you'll remember it forever.

Hopefully this will get me posting some tasting notes again.

Craig

Wizz

Re: 2012 - life changing wine experience

Post by Wizz »

Thats a pretty impressive list Craig.

The 82 Mouton and 75 Yquem are two of the greatest wines I've ever drunk.

Not a single Burgundy on that list. C'est la vie.

cheers

Andrew

L plater

Re: 2012 - life changing wine experience

Post by L plater »

Thanks Andrew,

He had a couple of impressive Burgundies for the occasion, but the Sommelier suggested that with the lineup and number of wines, they'd be too much. (there were eight of us drinking so by the end of the day i was pretty drunk)

I'm hoping for an invite for the next one to try the burgundies - I've not yet had a pinot which blew me away but he had a la tache 99 which he was expecting to impress.