who do you use

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
MarkAus

who do you use

Post by MarkAus »

Hi all, ive not navigated yet to any posts which details online websites (not sure if this is appropriate or not) but will ask the question

Been browsing various websites, grays, ebay, cellarmaster,cellarit, and of course auswine but just wondered who you use and feedback in the hope of making some purchases.

Cheers

Mark

Luke W

Re: who do you use

Post by Luke W »

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum. Its a forum filled with all sorts of wine afficionado's who have many different ways of fulfilling their vinous needs. Some work in the industry either as vintners, wine professionals, in the restaurant trade and have enormous knowledge which they share freely.

I suspect most forum members however are people in all sorts of jobs who share a love of wine and a thirst for knowledge about wine.

Some like me spend too much of their hard earned cash trying to get the "best bang for their bucks" and buy whenever and wherever the bargains occur. If you want extra help with this I'd subscribe to redbigot.com.au and Brian will tell you where to get the best bargains. The other places include auction houses eg. Langtons and Oddbins.

For excellent service and rarer wines its hard to beat auswine.com.au

cheers

Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

calm

Post by calm »

mycellars.com.au was a good experience for me. However, I would encourage auswine.com.au given the wonderfull support of this website.
Craig S

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

i also use cellartracker.com for the users' TN, as i find some are quite similar to my palete so i often use that as my reference
Relax.... In the end it's only grape juice with a twist

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

MarkAus wrote:Hi all, ive not navigated yet to any posts which details online websites (not sure if this is appropriate or not) but will ask the question

Been browsing various websites, grays, ebay, cellarmaster,cellarit, and of course auswine but just wondered who you use and feedback in the hope of making some purchases.

Cheers

Mark

Are you talking about information or purchasing? I'm guessing purchasing, as there is a lot of information here.
For purchasing, this and the other main Australian wine forums are provided by wine retailers and it's generally considered bad form to post information about their competitors.
FWIW my opinion on the ones you listed:
Grays - the source of some bargain quaffers, but mostly pretty low quality wines and some real crap, you have to be pretty careful and be prepared to send the junk back
eBay - usually overpriced and maybe no return option.
Cellarmasters - some good wines, but also a lot of pretty ordinary wine and not usually cheap/ good value. Some special offers and private client offers are tempting.
Cellarit - big range of older wines, including still a lot of ex-investment stock, some bargains from time to time as people drop prices on good wines, but mostly fully/over-priced.

For information on Australian Wines, The Wine Front, Halliday's Wine Companion and hopefully soon the new Jeremy Oliver site are worth considering paying the subscription for. Plus the three main Australian wine forums. And in a little niche of it's own, there is always my site if you are looking for information on certain types of mostly red wine.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

MarkAus

Post by MarkAus »

Many thanks appreciate the response

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Sounds like it was delivered, and delivered to the address you supplied......

Might have been nice for them to offer at least something to help though, but looks like you made the mistake, not them. They delivered as instructed, based on that email.

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

Wow sounds like there is an even chance between the courier driver celebrating with some nice sparkling and a crook pinching it. I had an instance where a product worth $500 didn't turn up. Enquiries made and some time later it was confirmed that the product had been signed for at No. 13 on ...... Date. We live at 31 and coincidently No.13 is a vacant block. Get my drift. Unfortunately not everyone we think can be trusted should be trusted. Food for thought!!!

rens

Post by rens »

TiggerK wrote:Sounds like it was delivered, and delivered to the address you supplied......

Might have been nice for them to offer at least something to help though, but looks like you made the mistake, not them. They delivered as instructed, based on that email.

^Agreed.
You supplied the wrong address. No doubt you were asked to confirm it was correct when you placed and paid for the order. Sorry, you loose. Perhaps you'll read the order confirmation details next time.
About time some people in this world took some responsibilities for their own actions.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Yeah..to me the vendor/courier takes responsibility if they just leave it somewhere...but at the same time the address wasn't correct...Its just bad and bad..

Personally, I'd try to do something for the customer despite their stupidity...but certainly I don't consider them wrong in this manner...the customer contributed a lot to the whole issue..they didn't even give the right address...

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Polymer wrote:Yeah..to me the vendor/courier takes responsibility if they just leave it somewhere...but at the same time the address wasn't correct...Its just bad and bad..

Well, depends. We do take reposnsibility for the delivery, but if the customer specifically asks for it to be left, if no-one is home, does that not then divert to thier responsibility?

I NEVER get couriers to leave wine, but if the customer specifically requests it, then who's responsibility is it really?

regards

Gavin Trott

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

Am i missing something here? I think we are jumping the gun abit. We really have only one side of the story here. I would like to here from Adrian T (if he chooses to respond).

I would like to know wether he actually had requested to send the wine to an incorrect address or was there conflicting stories/perhaps a typo or illegible number written on order form etc.

As for the courier - Did Adrian T actually specify to have the wine left at address when no person home?? This is not really made clear.

Gee if the Managing Director is describing the courier as a "professional who is familiar with the neighbourhoods on his daily run" and we have to respect his judgement then perhaps I am in the wrong job. I would think maybe the courier at best maybe familiar with the general level of socio-economic status in the area he delivers to and thats about it unless he does research on the side re crime trends/statisctics etc etc. I don't like the phrase "have to" in this context. Just do what was instructed (which indeed he may have done) and don't make assumptions for your own convenience.

Just my opinion until all is made clear.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Gavin Trott wrote:
Polymer wrote:Yeah..to me the vendor/courier takes responsibility if they just leave it somewhere...but at the same time the address wasn't correct...Its just bad and bad..

Well, depends. We do take reposnsibility for the delivery, but if the customer specifically asks for it to be left, if no-one is home, does that not then divert to thier responsibility?

I NEVER get couriers to leave wine, but if the customer specifically requests it, then who's responsibility is it really?

Yes of course it does...If they say, if no one is reachable leave it at the door, it then becomes their responsibility as you have delivered it as per their instructions...

I'm just talking in a general sense..if they can't reach the person and they just leave it at the door without any instructions to do so...I would think most companies would not want the courier to do that...which is why there is contact information like a phone number, etc...