Gift advice

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
waistcoat

Gift advice

Post by waistcoat »

Hey guys. So I want to get my father a good bottle for Xmas, thought I would ask your advice and hopefully get something he'll really enjoy. The guidelines:
Cab sav/Shiraz (pref cab sav)
Price limit $100
Drinking well right now
Not super hard to get

Thanks guys

dave vino

Re: Gift advice

Post by dave vino »

Maybe an older vintage John Riddoch, I managed to pick up a 98 for around $80 at auction.

Older Henschke Cyril, or a Yeringberg Cabernets, Lakes Folly Cabernets and a MR Vasse Felix

lots to choose from.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

The current release Wynn's John Riddoch is an absolute beast of a wine. Might be tough going right now, but by golly, it's good !

Yarra Yering No. 1 might be worth looking at. It's a lighter and possibly more approachable style. If you're thinking of drinking the current release just be sure to give it a good long decant or you'll just be cheating yourself out of seeing the wine at its best.

Other Cabernets to consider:

Margaret River - Cape Mentelle, Moss Wood, Willespie (current release of their flagship cabernet is 2007), Woodlands, Houghton's Jack Mann, Howard Park Abercrombie, Cullen, and a newish one from Stella Bella called "Serie Luminosa".
2007, 2008, and 2009 have all produced good to very good cabernet in Margaret River, and you'll find these are the vintages currently available for most of these producers.

Yarra Valley - Yeringburg, Yarra Yarra

Tasmania - Domaine A - current release may have some bottle age...unsure..

Central Victoria - Tahbilk probably have some good cabernet with a little bottle age under their "Eric Stevens Purbrick" label

Barossa - Wolf Blass Black Label (Shiraz/Cab blend)

Most of these producers would have their prices north of $70 a bottle for their good stuff.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Try calling the Tahbilk cellar door, as they always have a lot of old vintage stock. From what I've tried, their Cabernets and Shiraz's age exremely well and are a delight to drink. You'll also get some change out of $100, or might be able to get 2 bottles.

If that doesn't take your fancy, try emailing a few of the above mentioned wineries and see if they have some museum stock.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

PM sent.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Get something aged. I note there are quite a few bottles of the 1994 Henschke Mt Edelstone on Langtons (I am not the vendor and have no idea who she / he is!) which is drinking well now. If you call them, they should be able to give you a feel for the provenance if its a regular seller. Mike

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Mike Hawkins wrote:1994 Henschke Mt Edelstone on Langtons

Sure a good bottle would be awesome, but just too many reports of dodgy corks for my liking. My no personal experience, just heresy.

winewrangler

Post by winewrangler »

Wynns John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon Purchase Price 90$ with the 9 out of 10 ratings..

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

call wendouree and buy a shiraz mat and cab mal or whatever they got in stock.
$45 -$50 each. crack one.! put the other one down. 2 for 1!

my mate called em for a special occasion wine and they obliged with the one no probs.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

jimbob47

Post by jimbob47 »

David Franz has all his reds with age. 2002 - 2007 for under $100.

He has both Cab Sav and Cab Sav/Shiraz and they are all drinking really well now.

www.david-franz.com and order online.

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

I'd suggest clicking the Auswine picture at the top of this page and ask Gavin if he has something that meets your criteria.

If you like wandering around a shop (and you're in Melbourne) then I'd suggest asking the guys at Winebins in Prahran.

My sister always gets be the latest Ingoldby CabSauv by the half dozen for Xmas. What it lacks in quality, it makes up for in drinkability (and there's 6 bottles).
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

waistcoat

Post by waistcoat »

Thanks a bunch for all the replies guys! Ended up going with a 1991 John Riddoch, $100 on the dot with $10 extra p&h. I'm glad for the suggestion re the Tahbilk museum releases, I'm thinking of giving myself a little Christmas present there ;)

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Nice, 91 was a great year by any standards for the Coonawarra it just tends to get overshadowed as it followed epic 1990 vintage.