South African red wines

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
LawrenceM

South African red wines

Post by LawrenceM »

Hi all,

I should start by saying that I am not very familiar with South African wines or winemaking processes in South Africa.

I have been trying quite a few South African reds recently (vintages from 2002 to 2009) and am finding that regardless of the variety (I have tried a number of cabernet sauvignon's, syrah's and merlot's) the wines have very prominent pepper/dust/earth aromas. I guess you could call this old world, but I am finding that the peppery aromas are especially prevelant.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I am sure it has something to do with the region (most of the wines I have tried come from Stellenbosh) and perhaps barrel treatment, but I am curious to see if anyone has the answer.

Mahmoud Ali

Re: South African red wines

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I have detected what I call a smoky, burnt rubber aspect in many South African reds which I attributed to pinotage, either on it's own or in a blend. An Obikwa cabernet I had a few years ago in Australia had a touch of that unmistakable smokiness and rubber and I figured it was due to some pinotage in the wine. However I have read that it might be a leaf roll virus that is causing this effect in the reds and attempts are being made to eradicate it.

I should say that not all South African reds are affected. I've had a syrah from South Africa, Graham Becks 'The Ridge', and it was pristine and pure, better that the Lehmann Eight Songs which was more than double the price.

Mahmoud.

pdudley

Post by pdudley »

We found that some of the "reserve" pinotages that spent a long time in oak had that flavour. I don't remember coming across it in any of their straight cabernets or shiraz/syrah. The easier drinking pinotages (Leopards Leap comes to mind) do not have that flavour.

Cheers
Paul

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I should add that there are some fine Pinotage wines that did not have the smoky, burnt rubber notes and those are ones I've decided to cellar. They were:

'04 Fairview "Primo" Pinotage,
'06 Moreson Pinotage,
'01 Beyerskloof Pinotage.

I'd recommend trying any of these producers. From what I've read recently pinotage has a very small window of ripening during which it must be harvested.

Cheers..................Mahmoud.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

The only SA Pinotage I've tried (can't recall its name) had that earthy/dusty flavours but it did not worry me. I thought the wine was very impressive and would certainly buy the variety again.

Chuck
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Chuck, earthy/dusty I like, but the thing that people don't like is a burnt rubber, smokey tar-like notes that tends to overwhelm other aspects of the wine. The first time you experience it you will get an idea of what people complain about.

Mahmoud.