Various questions need help pls

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
guest boy Bob

Various questions need help pls

Post by guest boy Bob »

(1) are there any botrytis wines made in Coonawarra pease?

(2) what is the signature of Heathcote shiraz, and how does it compare -taste-wise - to Barossa and McLaren Vale shiraz please?

(3) why is there no 2001 Parker Estate 1st growth cabernet please (given the 2001 standard Parker cabernet was excellent) and it was a very good vintage?

(4) are there any differences between all the different Screwpull copes priced from $24-$50 (there are about a half a dozen brands)?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers!

Muscat Mike

Answer to no 4...

Post by Muscat Mike »

Quality. The cheaper ones have a lot of plastic in them and the dearer ones more steel and thus will last longer, hopefully.
I have one of the copies and it does a good job. I feel that if you are not opening a lot of bottles the cheaper ones are fine.
MM.

Adair

Re: Various questions need help pls

Post by Adair »

guest boy Bob wrote:(1) are there any botrytis wines made in Coonawarra pease?

Petaluma - their Sharefarmers label botrytis:

http://www.petaluma.com.au/Sharefarmers.asp?sid=5&task=showWine&wineID=13&wineSubCatID=9

Adair

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

1) Hollick (Nectar Botrytis Riesling), Brand's of Coonawarra Limited Release Botrytis Semillon.
2) For me, they are considerably softer, and have more red fruits.
3) Haven't release yet?

Cheers,
Alan

Post by 707 »

(1) Hollick, Leconfield and Rymill all make them but not necessarily on a regular basis.

(2) Still a bit early to be definitive I'd think but fruit richness seems a hallmark of the better ones. This is now a widespread area and I think there will be quite a variation across the region. Jasper Hill is still the standout and at an absolute bargain price for a ripper quality wine is the 2002 Rufus Stone which Gavin has on this site.

(3) 2001 Parker Estate 1st growth cabernet is yet to be released although they sold a little last October at CD for the Coonawarra Cabernet Celebration weekend. Bloody good wine!

(4) Difference Screwpull copies have variations in component materials and contruction. Have a close look before deciding on which one or just buy all screw caps now!
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Martin C

Post by Martin C »

(2) Regional Characteristic.
Heathcote - Liquer Cherries
McLaren - Licourice & Spices
Barossa - Dark fruited - plums, blueberries and mocha.