Best Value Champagne for Celebrations

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dan_smee

Best Value Champagne for Celebrations

Post by dan_smee »

It's birthday season in my family, and I was wondering what you all thought the best options for celebrations were?

In my family, we generally turn to Billecart for a consistent, good value NV Champagne (and the rose for treat). I have a bottle of 2005 Moutard 6 Cepages which I am waiting for my own birthday next year with.

Anyone have anything slightly left of field they swear by? Given Tyson Stelzer's rave review of the Nicholas Francois Billecart 2000 (98 pts), who else thinks it is worth it splashing a bit more on proper vintage Champagne for the slightly more special occasions?
www.vinographic.com

Michael R

Re: Best Value Champagne for Celebrations

Post by Michael R »

Lanson has good prices on decent vintage bubbles. Laurent Perrier similar.
For non vintage, I like bolly, roederer and Pierre gimmonet.

Beware the grey labels though, when in search of bargains.

Mark Jappe

Post by Mark Jappe »

I second the comments about Lanson, although I tend to think that they need a bit of ageing to show their best due to the lack of malolactic fermentation.
Pol Roger is arguably one of the most consistently good big houses. However at the end of the day, with the large quality gaps in recent vintages, you are probaly better shopping on vintage more than label. Grab almost anyhting from 1996 if you can find it. If not, 2002 is also a great year and many retailers should still have some wines from this year. While I am not usually a Moet fan, their 2002 standard vintage is excellent, being much preferred to the Dom Perignon at a blind tasting that I hosted last year. Moet have allegedly dropped their dosage levels in recent years, which might account for my change of heart..

Cheers

Mark

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Yep, both the Moet and Veuve 2002s are quite sublime and reasonably priced for vintage champers. Extrordinary vintage and these two houses both nailed it in 02. The Dom is excellent too but in a different price category. I've stocked up on all three although they are just starting to ge difficult to find as the 03s are coming out. I wouldn't bother with the 03s unless you collect verticals. I've tasted the 03 Moet which was released before the 02 and really didn't like it at all.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

DJ

Post by DJ »

I've been trying a few grower champagne over the last year and a bit and they knock the big brands for six. One of Eric Rodez has been the highlight to date.
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

griff

Post by griff »

I certainly think vintage champagne is the sweet spot. Be they grower or large house. I agree with Mark and Kris. Very different styles but both Moet and Veuve really did well with the 2002 vintage. The former showing a classic steely, smokey character and the latter being rich, brassy and bold. Bollinger also did well for that matter but it is a little more. One NV (apart from Krug of course) that I think rather nice is Gosset. There is a trend towards non-dosage and low-dosage but my backward tastes much prefer moderate dosage. As for growers there are quite a few interesting ones. Our host sells Vilmart which is a lovely drop indeed.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

You may find Camille Saves, Vilmart and Pierre Gimonnet vintage in Oz. These are much better than the big houses.

griff

Post by griff »

Mike Hawkins wrote:You may find Camille Saves, Vilmart and Pierre Gimonnet vintage in Oz. These are much better than the big houses.

i really need to try Camille Saves. The rose or the vintage?
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Both! Arguably the best value champers on the market imo. Vintage is less than AUD30 at CD.

griff

Post by griff »

Thanks Mike.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Why not try some Arras Grand Vintage, that's around $50ish a bottle. I've had it on a few occasions and it's always held it's own against any of the Frenchies in the under $80 bracket.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I'm personally not a Champagne drinker but my wife loves it. Her current fave in the NV form is Ruinart.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

daz

Post by daz »

Does it have to be Champagne? Have you considered some of the premium Aussie FWS? I'm not a bubbles afficianado but thought the vintage (?) Freycinet Radenti I tried was pretty good.

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Also a big fan of the Freycinet Radenti. The current disgorgements, of the current vintage (2001) have seen 10 years on lees. The winery still sells it direct (just recently bought a half dozen myself actually).

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

odyssey wrote:The current disgorgements, of the current vintage (2001) have seen 10 years on lees. The winery still sells it direct (just recently bought a half dozen myself actually).

Was there last week, but only picked up one bottle (plus the Pinot), the Redenti wasn't on taste unfortunately, so have no idea if its any good!