Going to Mudgee

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Dan

Going to Mudgee

Post by Dan »

Hi Everybody.......
(Hi Dr Nick)

Has anyone stayed or got any info on the Caravan parks in Mudgee?

Any help or recommendation would be awesome.

Also, we'll have the kids with us so will be limited with the number of wineries to visit.
So please recommend your favourites.

Thanks
Dan

cuttlefish

Re: Going to Mudgee

Post by cuttlefish »

Skimstone
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

ross67

Post by ross67 »

If you want a lovely view and contemporary sophisticated surrounds go to Logans wines.
Could pass on their reds but some whites were ok.
Its just south of mudgee about 10-15 min drive from memory.

Ross

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

I have to throw in a mention of Moothi Estate. An even better view than Logan...
3, 65, 7, 50

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

It's been a long time since I've been to Mudgee, 2001 I think, but the most impressive wines were from Huntington Estate. I believe ownership has changed hands but if anything of their style and focus remains it would be well worth a visit.

Cheers.............Mahmoud.

tonym

Post by tonym »

theres not a lot to pick from but Mudgee tourist park would be the pick, the showground is/was pretty ordinary.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman »

Ok, just went a few weeks ago, my favourites would have been:

Di Lusso Estate - speak to the winemaker/owner, he knows his stuff and even lets you taste unfinished wines to experience how they're made etc. Spent a good 30min chatting there p.s. Their Moscato is YUM!

Logans Wines - Nice wine, cheese platter is fantastic too. Good view as well:

Farmers Daughter - nice wines but more pricy than most and weren't willing to budge on cellar door prices even for full cases. Was a lot friendlier 5 years ago when we visited previously.

Abercorn - Nice wine, some quite aged for a cellar door (2003 etc) - think they used to be Huntington Estate last time we visited.

And if you decide to stay out of town at Rylstone instead, then De Beaurepaire Wines there is worth dropping in to as well.

T.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I think that Abercorn and Huntington Estate are seperate wineries. I seem to recall visiting Abercorn back in 2001 when it appeared to be a relatively new winery, new cellar door and modern label.

Huntington Estate had a much older cellar door and fantastic old-fashioned labels with exotic bin numbers and letters. They also held back many of their better reds, their releases being out of step with other celler doors. I also detected an earthy, savoury 'Hunter' quality to their reds.

Mahmoud.

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

Abercorn and Huntington are neighbors. When Bob Roberts, the man who started Huntington, decided to retire a few years ago Tim Stevens, the owner of Abercorn, purchased Huntington and continues to make Huntington wines in the same style they have always been made.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Thanks for the update Sharkey. Good to hear that the Huntington Style is being maintained by Tim Stevens. It might also explain why Abercorn has an '03 on offer at cellar door.

Mahmoud.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman »

Sharkey wrote:Abercorn and Huntington are neighbors. When Bob Roberts, the man who started Huntington, decided to retire a few years ago Tim Stevens, the owner of Abercorn, purchased Huntington and continues to make Huntington wines in the same style they have always been made.

Well that explains it, thanks.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Thanks all for your info.

I got back from Mudgee last week.

Stayed at the Tourist Van resort..... basic but nothing wrong with it.

Visited:

Huntington: loved their reds, bought a few of their 2006 Shiraz which is their current release and an 06 Cab Merlot to have with dinner that night, its nice that they bring them out with a bit of age on them, and I think they'll go a lot longer.

Di Lusso: Spent a lot of time here going through the range, ended up buying a mixed case. I even bought a rosé which is rare for me, its a great savoury style.

Robert Stien: How good is the Half Dry Riesling!!!!!!!!!!! Most of their range really impressed, spent way too much. Also a small motorbike museum on site.

Blue Wren: Stopped here for a nice casual lunch and grabbed a case of 2002 cleanskin Shiraz.

Mudgee Brewery: Nice lunches here too, great beer, loved their Porter.

I'd like to spend more time in Mudgee, but with the kids in tow we were just passing through for two days, so maybe another time.

Cheers
Dan