NOTICE TO ALL: DON'T MENTION WINE RETAILERS ON THIS FORUM

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
n4sir

NOTICE TO ALL: DON'T MENTION WINE RETAILERS ON THIS FORUM

Post by n4sir »

As one of the stalwarts here, I'd like to also offer my thanks to Gavin Trott for generously hosting this place, and pass on a friendly reminder to those who enjoy frequenting here.

Gavin isn't just providing this place out just of the goodness of his heart, he is also an online wine retailer - anyone who doesn't already know this should click on the box in the top left hand corner of the page and check out what are some of the best deals on the web:

See that first thread right at the very top of this All About Wine Forum titled Comm. Messages - that's Gavin's specials, please check them out if you have the chance.

On that theme, I think it's also timely that there should be a reminder to those newer posters out there that it's bad form to post prices of competitors and drop links and mentions of other online wine retailers here with the exception of the wineries/cellar doors themselves (and even then out of politeness it's probably worth a PM to Gavin in advance). It's immaterial if the wine in question isn't listed on Auswine - there have been a number of these recently in the regular "what have you been buying, etc" threads, and IMO it's not fair to the guy who's actually providing you this forum.

Think about it guys, and if in doubt PM Gavin Trott before posting - better still, if something's available on Auswine at a competitive price, buy it from Gavin and support the guy who brings you this place.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Fri May 22, 2015 12:22 am, edited 9 times in total.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

AndrewCowley

Re: NOTICE TO ALL: Mentioning Wine Retailers on this Forum

Post by AndrewCowley »

+1

Thanks Gavin for providing this awesome forum.

newworld

Post by newworld »

Fair enough. Thanks Gavin for this great board. But thanks even more to the wonderful contributers. Without your post this forum would literally be nothing

But I think someone should start a new forum independent of any wine concern as one of the great thrills of buying wine is snagging a bargain. There are lots of free discussion board platforms on the net. We don't need to use the resources of a wine business in order to talk wine.

I know I'm going to cop lots of abuse for this post (subtle or not), but it is a constant theme (discussing other wine sellers) and the only way we can avoid it is to migrate elsewhere.

Next someone's going to tell me to leg it elsewhere as they are happy here. But that won't solve the issue at hand.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

newworld wrote:Fair enough. Thanks Gavin for this great board. But thanks even more to the wonderful contributers. Without your posts this forum would literally be nothing

But I think someone should start a new forum independent of any wine concern as one of the great thrills of buying wine is snagging a bargain. There are lots of free discussion board platforms on the net. We don't need to use the resources of a wine business in order to talk wine.

Start of blatant plug.

It already exists, has done for nearly two years, it's active, nearly 20,000 posts from a small band of about 350 members.
It's open in mentioning prices at any merchant, praising the good ones, identifying the bad ones.

End of blatant plug.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

n4sir wrote:
Think about it guys, and if in doubt PM Gavin Trott or Red Bigot before posting - better still, if something's available on Auswine at a competitive price, buy it from Gavin and support the guy who brings you this place.

Cheers,
Ian

No use PM'ing me, I haven't been a moderator here for several years now.
Cheers
Brian

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Red Bigot wrote:
n4sir wrote:
Think about it guys, and if in doubt PM Gavin Trott or Red Bigot before posting - better still, if something's available on Auswine at a competitive price, buy it from Gavin and support the guy who brings you this place.

Cheers,
Ian

No use PM'ing me, I haven't been a moderator here for several years now.

Fixed.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

newworld

Post by newworld »

I would love to join your group but again its just another business opportunity for some individual. I resent paying to join a group. Maybe 10 years ago, but not in these days of gmail, facebook and millions of messageboards, forums and millions of other web2.0 sites. All free.

Again, I expect lots of abuse for these posts, but its the elephant in the corner.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

newworld wrote:I would love to join your group but again its just another business opportunity for some individual. I resent paying to join a group. Maybe 10 years ago, but not in these days of gmail, facebook and millions of messageboards, forums and millions of other web2.0 sites. All free.

Again, I expect lots of abuse for these posts, but its the elephant in the corner.

I am a member, and very happy that I am.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

newworld wrote:I would love to join your group but again its just another business opportunity for some individual. I resent paying to join a group. Maybe 10 years ago, but not in these days of gmail, facebook and millions of messageboards, forums and millions of other web2.0 sites. All free.

Yeah, some/many people don't want to pay anything for anything these days, that's fine. But some of the more interesting things on the net just are not free.
If you can't see the advantage of a "closed" group rather than a "public" group, well, that's your choice.

BTW, it's a hobby, not a business, there is no money in it, no advertising, no sales and it's not just a Forum, most members save more than their annual subscription in one or two deals they would otherwise not have seen.

Feel free to go start up a free forum yourself if it's so easy.

This is my last post on this topic, apologies to Gavin for the blatant plug / link, but I don't think we are really in competition.
Cheers
Brian

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

newworld

Post by newworld »

2 points there, Brian.

First, closed group. Fair point. I've got no problems with that.

Second, charging money to join? Sounds like a business to me. Small business, maybe, but it is a business. If you have a hundred members and they are paying $30something (it's $38 at the moment and rising.) That's $3-4,000 per year. Not a small amount of money. And you get to benefit from the tips of your members = bonus.

We are living in the time of web2.0 and there's no reason for having to fork out hundreds of dollars (over the years) for such info. But here in ripoff Australia people are still used to being fleeced by the Gerry Harveys and Wesfarmers of this land.

Why don't I start my own forum? If others were willing to move with me I would.........

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Still easy to show off a good bargain, just don't name the retailer.
Problem Solved

Panda 9D

Post by Panda 9D »

PMing Gavin before mentioning a cellar door price? Seriously? I think it's fair that links to other online retailers not be posted but the price of wine is inherent to discussion of drinking and collecting it. To impede communication to the extent that one must ask for permission even to post a cellar door price would be a mistake. I'm sure this forum has brought in some business to Gavin's shop over the years. If I lived in Australia, I would use it. To go to the lengths you suggest before posting even if a cellar door price would reduce the amount of members you get. Is it then possible that this will, in turn, reduce the amount of business Gavin gets from new members discovering his store via the forum?

It's a privately owned forum so the owner can do anything he wants with it. Just throwing my opinion in.

EDIT: Just realised that prices are OK to mention... softened the tone of post :)

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Panda 9D wrote:PMing Gavin before mentioning a cellar door price? Seriously? I think it's fair that links to other online retailers not be posted but the price of wine is inherent to discussion of drinking and collecting it. To impede communication to the extent that one must ask for permission even to post a cellar door price would be a mistake.

Can't imagine anyone would have a problem with CD prices. Almost no winery undercuts the general trade on commercially-available wine, surely? Bin-ends, museum stock, CD specials - sure, but they won't be though the trade. Even boutiques aren't going to undercut their retail partners if they want an ongoing relationship.
GG

newworld

Post by newworld »

Even saying how much you paid could lead to PMs asking where you bought it. etc. It's all a bit silly really.

Having a public messageboard hosted by a business like this is always going to lead to problems like this. A bit like the Chinese government telling their people what they can say or not ('the Great Firewall of China.') Unfortunately at the moment this is where all the action is Australian-based wine discussion-wise.

newworld

Post by newworld »

Red Biggot's postings about his paid-for forum are just another way of diverting Auswine forum members to discuss alternative wine retailer's prices.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

newworld wrote:Unfortunately at the moment this is where all the action is Australian-based wine discussion-wise.

I wouldn't say it's unfortunate that the discussion is here. This forum has been going strong for years, no reason (other than Gavins' annoyance at some posts in this thread) that we can't continue to enjoy this fantastic site.

newworld wrote:Next someone's going to tell me to leg it elsewhere as they are happy here.

Tempting! :lol: Deja Vu?

newworld wrote:.......one of the great thrills of buying wine is snagging a bargain.

So just say it's a bargain! Simple as that!! This site is for discussion of wine, not wine retailers.

Moredsir

Post by Moredsir »

TANSTAAFL.

Pay direct dollars for access to a private forum or pay by risking bias/kickbacks and putting up with advertising - or in the case of the most well known reviewer's site you pay for both.

You want a free forum newworld? You go pay for the domain and hosting then and spend many hours of your free time setting it up, and then deal with spammers, abuse, and hackers. I've setup enough 'free' sites for clubs to know how much work is involved and you're incredibly selfish if you think those who do the work deserve nothing in return.

Ddavew

Post by Ddavew »

i'm quite new here, i've notice that this forum are running by auswine on the day i sign up as member for this forum , i can't speak for everyone but i think most of us here are wine lovers , love to discuss anything thats related to wine and thats my main reason why i sign up.

i'm sorry to hear that some of us are hurting gavins business in some way but i don't think that was done intentionally.at the same time i think this is one of the main reason why people are keep coming back to this forum and have a nice chat about wines, one of the common topics are the wine notes/tasting reviews from different members, the wait for the wine to become ready to drink, it is sad to see this forum to be restricted in anyways.

To be fair to other members, aren't we all mature enough to know when or where to respect gavin without been warned?and even without anyone post a price on this forum, i'm quite confident other members know how to use the search engine and look for it.

Just to clear more things up, if gavin really decided to make changes around here, please go through the forum and topics again,compare how many posts in this forum are actually listing/posting other links and price to general wine discussions that were(or still) happily discussing from members.

newworld

Post by newworld »

Here we go :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Trigger - you obviously missed my extremely simple logic in order to be matey with this gang, you big keyboard warrior.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Where did old Lordson go anyway? :mrgreen:

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Sigh, what a Troll. Deja Vu indeed.

Add Foe. Breathe Sigh of Relief.

RogerPike

Post by RogerPike »

Sometimes, whwn I come across people like newworld, I get this almost uncontrollable urge to use some very naughty words. Somehow, today, I have managed to control that urge but it was very difficult.

Roger

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Neworld,
Did something go wrong with your circumcision? This a wine discussion group - not a vent-off.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

newworld wrote:Red Bigot's postings about his paid-for forum are just another way of diverting Auswine forum members to discuss alternative wine retailer's prices.

Warning, personal slight follows.

newworld, I hope you are young, there may be a chance for you, if you were old and this ignorant that is a travesty.

I'm very happy that the need to pay a subscription fee to my site keeps out people such as yourself, justification in itself.
Cheers
Brian

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Panda 9D wrote:PMing Gavin before mentioning a cellar door price? Seriously? I think it's fair that links to other online retailers not be posted but the price of wine is inherent to discussion of drinking and collecting it. To impede communication to the extent that one must ask for permission even to post a cellar door price would be a mistake. I'm sure this forum has brought in some business to Gavin's shop over the years. If I lived in Australia, I would use it. To go to the lengths you suggest before posting even if a cellar door price would reduce the amount of members you get. Is it then possible that this will, in turn, reduce the amount of business Gavin gets from new members discovering his store via the forum?

It's a privately owned forum so the owner can do anything he wants with it. Just throwing my opinion in.

EDIT: Just realised that prices are OK to mention... softened the tone of post :)

Hey

I've never asked anyone to pm me before posting anything (at least, I don't think so!).

I am incredibly easy going (also incredibly handsome and wealthy ... :roll: well, one out of three aint bad!) about this forum, but do get upset about

Trolls, people joining just to annoy others and get a rise out of them.

Discussions turning nasty, and personal, as this one seems to be becoming! I simply will not allow, will delete any such posts! We talk about wine etc, personal arguments insults are NOT to be held here!

Blatant using my forum to promote your own forum/business/retail outlet etc with no contributions.

Publishing of all my competitors best prices etc. I do not understand why anyone would think that suitable/alright/or reasonable on this forum?

Its simple, we love and chat about wine, food etc.

I make NO money out of this forum, ask no-one to pay, ask no-one to buy from me, indeed most people here never have, and that's alright too.

I have run this at my expense, in both time and money for (ever it seems) certainly 10 years or more .... folks are welcome, but if you abuse the forum and its motives, then perhaps move on.

New World, please do feel free to start your own forum, others have, you can too. I have no problem with you doing so ... but please do NOT tell me what I should and or should not have/allow on my forum.

If the auswine forum does not suit you or meet your needs, I understand, simply move on.

Now, what was that we were talking about?

Oh yeah,

wine,

geez that 2012 Tim Adams Riesling is a belter! Lovely stuff! Best for a few years I reckon!

regards

Gavin Trott

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Hear, hear, Gavin. Please let common sense prevail. I would have thought these principles were obvious.

I'd also like to express my gratitude for the forum. Good onya Gavin. Long may reasonable discussion reign.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Yes thanks Gavin, I think I'd be back on the ciggies to combat work boredom without this place.
Not to mention the abuse I'd get from sharing my half-ass tasting notes with non-wine friends....aah the refuge of grape mates and auswine....protecting the wine nerd. Vive Auswine !
Last edited by Michael R on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Ooh foe function. Didn't know about that.

Excellent. newwho?

Many thanks to our gracious host for providing an outlet for many hours wasted at work!

Panda 9D

Post by Panda 9D »

I was more replying to n4sir's post that maybe it would be a good idea to PM you first. I realise that wasn't coming from you. None of it applies to me as I'm in a completely different orbit to 99.9% of this forum's members. My point was just that a CD price is essentially the RRP and inhibiting even the discussion of that would be... excessive. The other point about a more open atmosphere attracting more members/business for you has turned out to be wrong because you said most people here don't buy from you. That's shitful IMO and I'll make a point of getting some booze sent to me the next time I'm back in Australia. It really surprises me that most people don't. I've gotten truckloads of great info from here.

My main reason to reply, though, is that I'm worried that you think I am newworld and I don't want us to be confused :| I didn't do nuffin!

Gavin Trott wrote:
Hey

I've never asked anyone to pm me before posting anything (at least, I don't think so!).

I am incredibly easy going (also incredibly handsome and wealthy ... :roll: well, one out of three aint bad!) about this forum, but do get upset about

Trolls, people joining just to annoy others and get a rise out of them.

Discussions turning nasty, and personal, as this one seems to be becoming! I simply will not allow, will delete any such posts! We talk about wine etc, personal arguments insults are NOT to be held here!

Blatant using my forum to promote your own forum/business/retail outlet etc with no contributions.