Rosemount Trad 2001 (Jimmy Watson Winner): Worth Buying?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Martin Phillipson

Rosemount Trad 2001 (Jimmy Watson Winner): Worth Buying?

Post by Martin Phillipson »

Hi All

I remember this wine being controversial. Any definitive answer as to whether it is worth buying? It's $30 here. Any TV's or TN's greatly appreciated.

Cheers

MP

jacques

Post by jacques »

I tried it couple time sand I believed it is a very good wine with good cellar potential. I bought few dozen myself but only cost me around $A20 per bottle.

Bill

Post by Bill »

Martin,

Yes, definately worth buying. I've had 3 or 4 bottles now, very nice wine. As good a quality as you'd expect from a $30, or even $40 wine in my opinion. $30 seems a bit higher than normal though. As Jacques said it's also around $20 here. $21 at the moment at my local store. The quality is there though, so it's probably fair value at $30, but I'd suggest you look around other retailers to see if you can find it at a better price first.

Bill

simm

Post by simm »

I don't know where you are MP but I have seen it advertised here in Sydney for $23 thereabouts and could be even cheaper. $30 was too much for it when it was released (usually about $27/btl, $23/case). Keep looking, lovely wine but not the extraordinary wine everyone seemed to rave about IMHO for that price at the time.

cheers,
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

Post by 707 »

Surprisingly good wine that has shone out at a couple of blind tastings of $20-30 wines. Hunt around for a good price, pay $25 at most I'd suggest and you've got good QPR. Will cellar a while too IMO.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

MP

I bought some!

Post by MP »

Dear All

Thanks for the comments. I am in Canada, and unfortunately in a Province where there is only one supplier of alcohol..the Govt! Therefore I can't hunt for bargains as there is no competition! So $30 it is. I haven't opened one yet, is it a crime to drink one now? Judging by the comments of how well it has done in blind tastings I would think not.

Thanks again for you advice

Best

Post by Guest »

No, drinks well now but will cellar. I can't imagine life where wine was not freely available, we of course just take supply and free enterprise for granted. Only the 42% tax here that we suffer.

Enjoy

Post by Guest »

It's not worth getting the wine it out of balance and this will not get better with time

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Anonymous wrote:It's not worth getting the wine it out of balance and this will not get better with time

Anon,
I think you may be out of balance but I hope you get better with time.
MM

Post by Guest »

No had the wine several times and back a few years. from 00 onwards the wine is carring to much tannin. this reduce the poss ageing of the wine. This is also the style of the wine but it dose not make it good.
The 2002 and 2003 have cut back in tannin tothe older more refined wines that trad was in the early days.

Bill

Post by Bill »

Anonymous wrote:No had the wine several times and back a few years. from 00 onwards the wine is carring to much tannin. this reduce the poss ageing of the wine. This is also the style of the wine but it dose not make it good.
The 2002 and 2003 have cut back in tannin tothe older more refined wines that trad was in the early days.

I think I'll agree with MM. I think maybe you're out of balance! :lol:

Since when does tannin reduce the ageing potential??? :?

WeÂ’re specifically referring to the 2001 vintage here, not the 2000. How have you tried the 2002 and 2003? They havenÂ’t even been released! 2001 is the current vintage.

Bill

merlot 128

Post by merlot 128 »

When the tannin is out of balance with the rest of the wine if there is to much all that will live in the wine is tannin after the fruit dies
by the way I am not saying the wine will be dead in 3-5 years. I think it will by looking tired by 05 or 06 and going down hill fast after that.

I have 02 at the Perth royal show tasting and the 03 at sydney royal show tasting

Bill

Post by Bill »

merlot 128 wrote:When the tannin is out of balance with the rest of the wine if there is to much all that will live in the wine is tannin after the fruit dies
by the way I am not saying the wine will be dead in 3-5 years. I think it will by looking tired by 05 or 06 and going down hill fast after that.

I have 02 at the Perth royal show tasting and the 03 at sydney royal show tasting

Well I'd have to disagree with you if you think it has too much tannin and is out of balance. I wouldn't say it has a particularly lot of tannin at all, about what you'd expect for a cabernet of this age. There's also plenty of fruit in there to balance it as well.

Very nice wine in my opinion. I'd rate it about 92+/100. I'd say it's extremely good value at $21.

Bill

merlot 128

Post by merlot 128 »

I agree there is not as much tannin as say the 2001 Moss Wood or 2001 Cullen, but the trad doas not have the fruit and acid for it to stay in for a good run.

I score in teh 20 point show system and in the last three times i have tasted it is has score about

To my is a good wine but not the great wine the hype says it is

merlot128

Bill

Post by Bill »

merlot 128 wrote:I agree there is not as much tannin as say the 2001 Moss Wood or 2001 Cullen, but the trad doas not have the fruit and acid for it to stay in for a good run.

I score in teh 20 point show system and in the last three times i have tasted it is has score about

To my is a good wine but not the great wine the hype says it is

merlot128

Well I'm not saying it's in the same sort of league as the Moss Wood or Cullen. I'd rate it quality wise similar to ummmm perhaps something like a Vasse Felix 2001 Cab Sav. Gold medal winning standard, but perhaps only just. One of the best Cabernet based wines I've had recently in the $20 price range.

Bill

merlot 128

Post by merlot 128 »

Nither the moss wood and cullen are just examples
It's the hype around the 01 trad I dislike
I think is also shound be just under 20 same as say the 01 Jim Barry Criket Pitch

I think the 01 Vasse Felix won the best Cab at Qantas Wine show of WA
Beating the 99, 00, 01 Jack Mann and the Haynsbury 00,01
Not that I think it better than th99 or 01 Jack but Prob the 00
Merlot128

merlot 128

Post by merlot 128 »

Sorry it was the 2000 that won the trophy the year before
the 01 as just knoked out for the trophy last year