Sunday drinking reports 22/7/12

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Sean

Sunday drinking reports 22/7/12

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

newworld

Re: Sunday drinking reports 22/7/12

Post by newworld »

Sean. You could try the Deen Vat Petit Verdot. It's similar to the Durif, but has a bit more bite (acidity) and (IMO) is a touch more class. I think these two varietals are under used in Australia, the land of shiraz.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

Friday night's highlight was the 2002 Old Kent River (Great Southern) Pinot Noir. According to Mark Noack (co-owner), the best pinot produced from his winery, and I can see why. 11.5% abv (possibly the lowest ever) is balanced by clean acidity, strawberry and cherry nose and a complex earthy and fruit palate. Lovely.

A couple of French wines for me Saturday night, as I was a guest at a dinner party with a French theme (but was the only one to bring actual Franch wines, although I didn't pull out the good stuff).....

2008 Marchand & Burch Bourgogne Pinot Noir: Standard delicate strawberry nose, with not a lot else going on. Give me the Old Kent River.

2000 Barons De Rothschild (Lafite).: A fuller bodied wine, that tasted quite like a reasonable cabernet merlot blend from Margaret River. Purchased duty free in Singapore (I think) quite a few years ago. OK wine, but I will leave the other bottle I have for maybe 5 years and see if it gets better.

Today saw a bottle of Old Kent River 2008 Chardonnay evaporate very quickly. Probably at its best now, before it heads off into mature territory - many things going on in the glass, with marzipan, savoury oak, grapefruit, and so much more. I believe they have sold out of this now (just as well I saved a few), and their 2010 chardonnay is on its way to me now.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

2005 Mon Redon Cotes du Rhone
Started out pretty closed, but after about 4-5 hours in the decanter it began to open up revealing some cherry type fruit, with maybe a faint leafy edge. Nice soft and fine mouthcoating tannins.

2003 Jacobs Creek Reeves Point Chardonnay
Amber edged yellow colour. Lovely buttery, custardy aromas. Still has fine vibrant acidity. We really enjoyed this.

2008 Spring Vale Louisa Sticky Gewurz
Had this with a homemade lemon meringue. Worked OK, but I think the dessert was too sweet for the wine. The first half of the bottle with cheese the previous night was fantastic.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

porschemad911

Post by porschemad911 »

Some from the weekend. Seems either I'm either very easy to please, or I'm lucky enough to have some enjoyable wines on hand.

2004 Yalumba Black D Sparkling shiraz cabernet
My favourite sparkling red. Perfectly balanced for me, with some delicious darker, mature fruit flavours. The secondary ferment really gets them dancing across the tongue. Shared this with my wife and sister, just enjoyed letting the flavour sink into my mouth. Only one bottle left now, very sad!

2012 Gundog Estate Wild hunter valley semillon
I really like this one, has a very satisfying fullness of flavour to it. Reminds me of an off-dry riesling. Lemon, lime and pear on the nose, following through on the palate with a hint of sweetness. Strangley, the only semillon I brought back from the Hunter.

Gundog Estate Rutherglen NV muscat
Delicious! Viscous, lovely toffee, caramel and raisin flavours. Aged 10 - 15 years. Bought this from the Hunter, really must make a trip down to Rutherglen sometime soon. Has a nice thickness and weight to it, although I still slightly prefer the Kay Brothers Grand Liqueur Muscat from Mclaren Vale, which started off my wife's and my appreciation of fortifieds.

2011 Overstone pinot noir
A very light pinot. Sweet nose, with watermelon and cinnamon, but the palate is refreshingly dry, with a hint of fresh cherry, and a satisfying hit of savoury tannin and spice. Just slightly heavier than a dry rose. Quite enjoyable for a cheap, drink now wine.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

2004 Penfolds 389. This seems to have closed up since I last tried it. More a long termish proposition now for me. Dark, Brooding, acids a little angular but all there for the long term

LawrenceM

Post by LawrenceM »

Rockford Rod & Spur Shiraz Cabernet 1999: Deep purple, Meaty dark cherry, cloves, tobacco box and sweet vanilla. Medium bodied, good finish.

Stella Bella Cabernet Merlot 2002: Inky black/purple. Plims, dark berries, mint, olives, black pepper and spice. Plenty of fruit left and finely integrated tannins. Great wine.

Thorne Clark Shotfire Shiraz 2004: Bottle looked immaculate, and level was high neck. CORKED. Even after a 12 hour decant the whole bottle was poured down the sink.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jafa

Post by jafa »

This weekend...................
Friday. 1996 Ch. Du Tertre (Margaux) Drinking well. Will last another 10+ years.
Sunday. 2000 Ata Rangi PN. Very good drinking right now, not likely to improve much, but holding well.

Other recent good bottles; some 1998's. Bowen Estate bdx blend, Good. And 1998 Clearview "Old Olive Block" ( bdx blend ) also Good.
1998 Ch La Pointe ( Pomerol) Good. No rush for this.
2000 Villa Maria Reserve Merlot/Cabernet. Very Good.
2004 Vidal "Soler" Syrah. Lost the exuberance of youth now. Very Good.

Hosted a themed "Auckland Supercity Wines" back in June. Top three ( according to participants ratings)
stood out.
1st------- 1999 Te Motu. Waiheke
2nd------ 2005 Collards "Shanty Block" Malbec. Westie wine.
3rd------- 2006 Larose. Waiheke.
8 wines, all decanted into identical glass jug before service, double blinded. Each particpant knew the contents of their own brown-bagged offering.

cheers jafa

newworld

Post by newworld »

Sean. Yeah, varietal labelling does seem to push a lot of Aussie wine drinkers to limit their purchases.

There are other durif that I like (usually from Rutherglen) but they are around 4 times the price. I don't know how de Bortlois do it sometimes.

Talking of durif and de Bortolis, I was told that they add durif to the pinot sold to the US. It seems that Yanks like a darker colour and bigger body in their PN :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: