Yarra Valley recommendations

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
LawrenceM

Yarra Valley recommendations

Post by LawrenceM »

Could anyone recommend a few wineries in the Yarra Valley for pinot drinkers? I have one afternoon on Saturday the 28th and, besides Yering Station, would like to fit in one or two quality wineries if I can.

Any recommendations would be great.

dave vino

Re: Yarra Valley recommendations

Post by dave vino »

Yarra Yering
Coldstream Hills

newworld

Post by newworld »

I don't even have half the experience of many on here, but I tried the whole Coldstream Hills range and was impressed with every single wine. Even the merlot was superb (!) The standard pinot was great and the Reserve was fantastic. If they have any single vineyard pinots, you're in for a treat.

Andrew from Ozwinereview has just written an article about Yarra Yering and it's one of the most glowing reviews he's ever written. Make of that what you wish.

Halliday loves Domaine Chandon's cellar door, but most of their pinot goes into bubbly.

Hoddle's Creek is a long trek and not eay to find. De Bortoli's is a great winery. Not sure if they have a cellar door in the Valley (which shows how little I know on this subject.)

I'm sure other will give more views, but my 2d worth.
Last edited by newworld on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simon1980

Post by simon1980 »

Here we go...

If YY is open, do visit. However give them a bell beforehand. On the same road, between Coldstream Hills and YY is Warramate. You may as well pop in if you are there - good value, friendly and super views.

There are some lovely Pinots around from 2010 in the Yarra Valley. De Bortoli 2010 is excellent; the CD is very touristy. However most of the best I have tried are not open for visits (phi / Wanderer / Gembrook Hill).

Giant Steps single vineyard wines have had good reviews, if you make it as far as Healseville. I also think Oakridge is worth a visit (and lunch)...maybe more for the Chardonnay than Pinot...beg to try the 864.

Have a good trip,

Simon1980

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

simon1980

Post by simon1980 »

Good call Sean on the Dairy. Lawrence, if they have Serrat, give it a go. Tom Carson (Yabby Lake winemaker) makes this from a few rows of close planted Pinot on his property, and it is usually excellent. Tom also lost a lot of vines, outbuildings etc in the fires...so the fact the wine is available is a celebration in itself.

Simon

LawrenceM

Post by LawrenceM »

Thanks very much, all.